Subject: Re: [v6ops] Adoption call for draft-boucadair-6man-prefix-routing-reco

From: t.petch <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2015 17:09:18 +0000

----- Original Message -----
From: <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Saturday, December 20, 2014 6:38 AM
Subject: [v6ops] Adoption call for
draft-boucadair-6man-prefix-routing-reco

> Are we agreed that draft-boucadair-6man-prefix-routing-reco should
> be adopted as a working group document in v6ops, and renamed
> draft-ietf-v6ops-cidr-prefix?

Ithink that it is adreadful idea. Adoptionisfine, butchangingthename
atthe sametime isjust creating apile of unnecessaryworkfor eternity.

Thename is irrelevant once this is a RFC; tarting it up inthe meantime
just means that the continuity of I-Ds is harderto
track,wastingeveryone'stime

{And whoever snuck in and stole my space key over Christmas, please
could I have it back?}

Tom Petch

> _______________________________________________
> v6ops mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/v6ops

---

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2015 15:53:35 +0100

Tom,

> track,wastingeveryone'stime

I think the I-D filename changes are tracked ok by e.g. tools.ietf.org 
which threads together names from individual submission state through WG 
acronym changes and up to RFC; an example is RFC6550 "Versions" tracked:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-roll-rpl-19

Alex

---

From: t.petch <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2015 18:02:39 +0000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Alexandru Petrescu" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Monday, January 12, 2015 2:53 PM

Tom,

<tp>

Alex

Last time this happened, the tracker did not pick up on the name change.
I flagged it to the tools team and was told that the linkage had to be
authorised by a WG Chair or someone similar.  What a waste of a scarce
resouce.

And even if the tracker knows, any other archive does not generating
confusion or uncertainty.

Certainly, such a name change lowers the priority of the I-D for me and
makes it less likely I will review or comment on it - there are just so
many v6ops I-Ds to choose from:-)

Tom Petch

Alex

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2015 08:23:21 +1300

Tom,
...
> Last time this happened, 

Draft name changes happen almost every time a draft is adopted by
a WG ("almost" because it's a convention, not a rule).

> the tracker did not pick up on the name change.
> resource.

Not really, because adoption is a specific WG decsion that needs the
WG Chair's attention anyway. And if it was simply a check box in
the submission tool, I could claim that draft-carpenter-silly-draft-00
replaces draft-petch-sensible-draft-07, so it does need authorisation.
(It could be supported more elegantly by the tools, but that would not
eliminate the authorisation step.)

>> {And whoever snuck in and stole my space key over Christmas, please

Here are a few spare spaces for you to cut and paste:                      ;-)

   Brian