Subject: Re: [v6ops] About RFC 6791

From: Alberto Leiva <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2015 11:50:47 -0500

Hello

I mailed the writers of RFC 6791.

The consensus is that when an SIIT receives a packet that includes an
Interface Information Object and needs to write one of its own, it
should append, not replace.
This is because, quoting Dan Wing, "there must have been a good reason
the ICMP packet arrived with an extension header."

There is momentum to raise errata to add this bit of trivia to RFC
6791, but the fact remains "appending" contradicts RFC 5837.

Four options seem to exist:

1. Define a new role. This seems cleanest to me.
2. Ignore RFC 5837 and upload errata to 6791 anyway (both roles 2 and
4 seem acceptable).
3. Upload errata to both RFCs.
4. Do nothing?

Strong opinions, anybody?

Thank you
Alberto