Subject: [v6ops] BCP 196, RFC 7526 on Deprecating the Anycast Prefix for 6to4 Relay Routers

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 20 May 2015 08:41:21 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        BCP 196        
        RFC 7526

        Title:      Deprecating the Anycast Prefix for 
                    6to4 Relay Routers 
        Author:     O. Troan, B. Carpenter, Ed.
        Status:     Best Current Practice
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       May 2015
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      10
        Characters: 20894
        Obsoletes:  RFC 3068, RFC 6732
        See Also:   BCP 196

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-v6ops-6to4-to-historic-11.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7526

        DOI:        http://dx.doi.org/10.17487/RFC7526

Experience with the 6to4 transition mechanism defined in RFC 3056
("Connection of IPv6 Domains via IPv4 Clouds") has shown that the
mechanism is unsuitable for widespread deployment and use in the
Internet when used in its anycast mode.  Therefore, this document
requests that RFC 3068 ("An Anycast Prefix for 6to4 Relay Routers")
and RFC 6732 ("6to4 Provider Managed Tunnels") be made obsolete and
moved to Historic status.  It recommends that future products should
not support 6to4 anycast and that existing deployments should be
reviewed.  This complements the guidelines in RFC 6343.

This document is a product of the IPv6 Operations Working Group of the IETF.

BCP: This document specifies an Internet Best Current Practices for the
Internet Community, and requests discussion and suggestions for 
improvements. Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC