Subject: Re: [v6ops] Interest in energy consumption of IPv6 smartphones (vs. IPv4)

From: Alexandre Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2016 13:01:54 +0200

Le 03/06/2016 à 04:17, Mark Andrews a écrit :
>
> While reducing power consumtion is a good thing, we will be wasting
> peoples time to compare IPv6 vs IPv4 power consumption.  Don't we
> have better things to do than to waste peoples time on the academic
> exercise which will produce nothing useful.

Hi,

Independently of qualifying academic exercises, I think this data can be
useful, among others: (1) when short on battery know what to turn off
and (2) protocol design like 6lo limit to how much the improvements
should try to save compared to vanilla IPv6.

Preliminary measurements on an Android smartphone running live video,
pre-recorded video, web browsing and ftp on 3G seem to exhibit slightly
higher platform uA/h discharge on IPv6 than on IPv4.

Is there any published data along similar lines: IPv4-vs-IPv6 energy
consumption on smartphone apps on cellular?

Alex

> Mark

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2016 14:36:09 +0200

Alex,

> consumption on smartphone apps on cellular?

https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-desmouceaux-ipv6-mcast-wifi-power-usage-01.txt

Ole