Subject: [v6ops] 464XLAT in wireless home broadband

From: Ca By <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2019 07:58:19 -0700

Just FYI since people in this group may be interested in on-going ipv6
deployments.  Also, i am not a spokesperson for anyone.

According to Reddit (which you may not cite for your end to term homework
assignment), T-Mobile US has launched a 464XLAT LTE home broadband product.
T-Mobile’s handset portfolio has been 100% 464xlat (or similar) for a few
years now, so not surprising that architecrure is being reused in the home
context.

https://www.reddit.com/r/tmobile/comments/b66f15/home_internet_kit_has_arrived_and_setup_and_using/?sort=new

---

From: Lorenzo Colitti <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2019 00:01:37 +0900

Heh. 464xlat is pretty much the worst transition mechanism, but hey, IPv4
is legacy, so...

BTW, thoughts on
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-pref64folks-6man-ra-pref64-02 ? Seems to
fit very well with this sort of thing.

On Fri, Mar 29, 2019 at 12:00 AM Ca By <[email-masked]> wrote:

> https://www..reddit.com/r/tmobile/comments/b66f15/home_internet_kit_has_arrived_and_setup_and_using/?sort=new
> <https://www.reddit.com/r/tmobile/comments/b66f15/home_internet_kit_has_arrived_and_setup_and_using/?sort=new>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> v6ops mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/v6ops
>

---

From: Ca By <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2019 08:13:52 -0700

> Heh. 464xlat is pretty much the worst transition mechanism, but hey, IPv4

 Vint Cerf took the blame for ipv4 being poorly designed — “it was only an
experiment”.

Fortunately, the Reddit people say that the ipv6 is unencumbered. I will
note that  rfc7278 is also in use, aka 64share.

RA pref64 is fine, i support.  Perhaps it will be included in 6G or 7G. As
we know, IETF first.

> BTW, thoughts on
> https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-pref64folks-6man-ra-pref64-02 ? Seems
> to fit very well with this sort of thing.
>