Subject: Re: [v6ops] I-D Action: draft-horley-v6ops-lab-00.txt

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2021 23:15:52 -0700

I find this a little surprising. I have an organization that I did some IPv6 work for a couple of years ago. They already had IPv4 space and a name; adding IPv6 space from ARIN was trivial. It cost something, but not much.

> On Jun 16, 2021, at 9:22 AM, Chris Cummings <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Getting enterprises to deploy v6 is already hard enough—Getting them to go through the RIR process to get PI just to test out and learn v6 is a very high barrier. I can speak to direct experience to this, during my time at a large enterprise, getting time/resources to "play with" that "newfangled IPv6" was a nearly insurmountable task. Anything we can do to make that easier, and thus hopefully increase v6 adoption is a win in my book. And sure, I know that they can lab out GUA using 2001:db8::/32, but since there are enterprises that need more than a /32, we seem to have a conundrum—having GUA space to lab with that is smaller than allocations that are now considered fairly normal seems to be ignoring a segment of potential IPv6 users.
>

---

From: Gyan Mishra <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2021 23:32:38 -0400

I am sure most are familiar that Cisco & Juniper but I believe most all
vendors don’t have a built in check into the routers running code that
checks that the prefix user is a “valid GUA” from the 2001::/3 space.

This is a “monsterous loophole” but hey I am not complaining!!

It’s for labbing so who cares and there’s is no legal ramifications for
vendors allowing you to do that.

Example and this is very handy for labbing and when you do it you realize
quickly that you have an ungodly plethora of spade to go crazy with:

Interface x/x
IP address 10.0.0.1/24
ipv6 addr we 10::1/8

So this is an example but a way to dual stack and keep track of IPs used
you can match 1 for 1 the v4 prefix to v6 prefix for ease of numbering.

Also as this is a lab and you are not connected to the internet and in most
enterprises have isolated lab environments that don’t connect to the
production network.

That being the case as the lab is “isolated” and even if you had 100s of
labs all around the world over private links isolated front the production
network you can even go ape crazy with 2001:::3.

You could even pretend you are IANA and simulate all the RIRs and create
isp allocations and enterprises allocations and allocations for FBB and
MBB.

As you are “IANA” in the lab you can create new allocation of reserved
blocks and advertise all the reserved blocks in the lab.

You can go so super crazy in the lab that you don’t even need to bother
with ULA.

My 2 cents!!

Gyan

On Tue, Jul 6, 2021 at 2:16 AM Fred Baker <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I find this a little surprising. I have an organization that I did some
> IPv6 work for a couple of years ago. They already had IPv4 space and a
> name; adding IPv6 space from ARIN was trivial. It cost something, but not
> much.
>
> > Getting enterprises to deploy v6 is already hard enough—Getting them to
> go through the RIR process to get PI just to test out and learn v6 is a
> very high barrier. I can speak to direct experience to this, during my time
> at a large enterprise, getting time/resources to "play with" that
> "newfangled IPv6" was a nearly insurmountable task. Anything we can do to
> make that easier, and thus hopefully increase v6 adoption is a win in my
> book. And sure, I know that they can lab out GUA using 2001:db8::/32, but
> since there are enterprises that need more than a /32, we seem to have a
> conundrum—having GUA space to lab with that is smaller than allocations
> that are now considered fairly normal seems to be ignoring a segment of
> potential IPv6 users.
> >
>
> _______________________________________________
> v6ops mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/v6ops
>
-- 

<http://www.verizon.com/>

*Gyan Mishra*

*Network Solutions A**rchitect *

*Email [email-masked] <[email-masked]>*

*M 301 502-1347*