Subject: Re: [VCARDDAV] A registry for vCard versions?

From: Simon Perreault <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2011 16:02:28 -0400

On 2011-09-21 10:57, Marc Blanchet wrote:
> I would argue that this request for registry is just not appropriate.
> A registry is there to register codepoints within a range in a
> protocol field or namespaces. It provides consistency between
> multiple protocols, multiple versions of a protocol, multiple
> implementations, etc...  I still don't see any value for this
> registry to register version numbers just for the whole purpose of
> helping developers to find all the versions of a protocol. I can't
> see it.

As I said before, this doesn't require a new registry. In vCard we have
a VERSION property, and this property has a single allowed value, "4.0".
This is missing from the registry. It needs to be added.
Here:
http://www.iana.org/assignments/vcard-elements/vcard-elements.xml#property-values

Now, should we add other version numbers to the registry? I think we
should not. IANA is not where you go to find information about
protocols. It is the "authority". It tracks assignments. I would also
argue that the vcard-elements registry is unconcerned with vCard
versions older than 4.0. Anything other than 4.0 should not be in the
registry. And it's not.

Therefore, IMHO, what should be done:

- File an errata against RFC 6350 to the effect that the IANA
considerations is missing an entry for VERSION property value "4.0".

- Then as author I will confirm the errata.

- Then IANA will make the change to the registry.

No new RFC needed. No new registry needed.

Makes sense?

Simon
-- 
DTN made easy, lean, and smart --> http://postellation.viagenie.ca
NAT64/DNS64 open-source        --> http://ecdysis.viagenie.ca
STUN/TURN server               --> http://numb.viagenie.ca