Subject: [VIPR] VIPR toubleshooting

From: Marc Petit-Huguenin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2011 08:41:51 -0700

One very important point made in draft-jennings-vipr-overview is the
troubleshooting problem (section 2.4).  Because the provisioning of SIP routes
is automatic, there is no possibility to have a interop testing between two
domains before the establishment of the fist call.  This means two things:

- - We will need in the future to define a SIP profile that defines exactly what
SIP extensions and media are supported (I propose to call this profile
SIPbeyond).  I think that we have a common goal here with the RTCWEB WG, and
should probably work with them on this.

- - We need to provide help for debugging problems if things go wrong.

For the latter, the main issue is that it is not always possible to troubleshoot
a problem only by looking on the logs and traces on the sending side - some kind
of cooperation is required by the receiving side.  Having a way to retrieve the
logs and traces automatically would be a good step in this direction, but we now
have a security problem to take care of, as we certainly do not want anybody to
be able to retrieve this information.

One internet-draft on this topic was just published, and it could be a start on
this discussion:

http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-kaithal-dispatch-sip-log-information-00.txt

There is certainly other possibilities, and this email is meant as a way to
start this discussion.

Thanks.

- -- 
Marc Petit-Huguenin
Personal email: [email-masked]
Professional email: [email-masked]
Blog: http://blog.marc.petit-huguenin.org