Subject: [vmeet] WebEx on MacOSX

From: John Leslie <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2012 10:22:29 -0400

After a system update Thursday (10.7.5), WebEx stopped working on
my Mac; and sternly refuses to get any better.

   I find Issue 152617 in chromium:
...
" Chrome autoupdated to 22.0.1229.79, and WebEx fails after the restart.

   Since a number of IETF activities depend on WebEx, I sincerely hope
this will find a resolution soon...

--
John Leslie <[email-masked]>

---

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2012 11:52:28 -0400

Unlike John, I did not update Mac OS X.  But this morning, I find myself in the same place as John.

I deleted user folder > Library > Application Support > WebEx Folder.
I deleted user folder > Library > Internet Plug-Ins > WebEx*.plugin.

This did not help.  I expected that joining a WebEx meeting would reinstall these with the most recent versions.  The WebEx64.plugin was installed, but so far the WebEx Folder has not reappeared.

When trying to join a WebEx meeting, I see "Connecting …", but never get connected.

Any suggestions?

Russ

---

From: Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2012 12:28:53 -0400

Inline...

> When trying to join a WebEx meeting, I see "Connecting …", but never get connected.

I had this problem earlier. I believe it occurred when I upgraded to 
10.7.4. I was unable to get on to the ietf webex meetings for a couple 
of months. Then it finally got better on its own.

I talked to Joe Hildebrand about it. IIUC, Apple made some change that 
was incorrect, but webex had to make a change to work around it, and 
this required an updated webex server. They only rolled that change out 
gradually. I noticed this when I was able to connect to a different 
conference hosted by cisco while the ietf webex was still not working 
for me.

What version of OS X are you on?

I don't know if all the ietf webex service is from a single server or 
not. Is it possible that things work for you for some conferences and 
not for others that might be on a different server?

	Thanks,
	Paul

> _______________________________________________
> NOTE WELL: This list operates according to
> http://mipassoc.org/dkim/ietf-list-rules.html.
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/vmeet
>

---

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2012 12:42:17 -0400

I'm running 10.6.8.

Russ

On Oct 1, 2012, at 12:28 PM, Paul Kyzivat wrote:

> I had this problem earlier. I believe it occurred when I upgraded to 10.7.4. I was unable to get on to the ietf webex meetings for a couple of months. Then it finally got better on its own.
> 
> I talked to Joe Hildebrand about it. IIUC, Apple made some change that was incorrect, but webex had to make a change to work around it, and this required an updated webex server. They only rolled that change out gradually. I noticed this when I was able to connect to a different conference hosted by cisco while the ietf webex was still not working for me.
> 
> I don't know if all the ietf webex service is from a single server or not. Is it possible that things work for you for some conferences and not for others that might be on a different server?
> 
> 	Thanks,
> 	Paul
>

---

From: "Andrew G. Malis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2012 13:05:13 -0400

John et al,

I'm running OS X 10.8.2 and was just on a WebEx meeting with no
problems.  I started the meeting using Firefox 15.0.1 and the
WebEx64.plugin I have installed identifies as version 1.0, dated
8/27/12.

Cheers,
Andy

---

From: Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2012 13:34:29 -0400

On 10/1/12 12:58 PM, Joe Hildebrand (jhildebr) wrote:
> This is a Chrome issue.  Fix is being rolled out as fast as we can, but in
> the meantime,  replace ~/Library/Internet Plug-ins/WebEx64.plugin with the
> attached.

Joe,

Can you provide a bit more context about what is going on, so that 
people can evaluate how it affects their particular situation/usage?

I saw the problem earlier, (and wasn't alone), but with Firefox and 
Safari. It eventually went away "on its own". AFAIK I had no updates to 
OS X, or Firefox between not working and working again.

Is the current issue truly a "Chrome" issue, or maybe a webkit issue?

	Thanks,
	Paul

> On 10/1/12 10:42 AM, "Russ Housley" <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>> I'm running 10.6.8.
>>
>> Russ
>>
>>
>>>> This did not help.  I expected that joining a WebEx meeting would
>>>> reinstall these with the most recent versions.  The WebEx64.plugin was
>>>> installed, but so far the WebEx Folder has not reappeared.
>>>>
>>>> When trying to join a WebEx meeting, I see "Connecting Š", but never
>>>> get connected.
>>>>
>>>> Any suggestions?
>>>>
>>>> Russ
>>>

---

From: "Joe Hildebrand (jhildebr)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2012 16:58:11 +0000

-- 
Joe Hildebrand

---

From: "Joe Hildebrand (jhildebr)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2012 17:53:44 +0000

As far as I know, the previous issue is fixed; there was something hinky
in one of the early Mountain Lion builds that got fixed in the Golden
Master edition.  If you're not on the ML beta still, it shouldn't be a
problem.

The current issue is that Chrome changed its plugin API.  We've been
seeing issues in the beta channel for a few weeks, and it took us some
time to track down, but once the change went into the stable channel, it
became high priority.  The plugin build I sent will be the one we
auto-upgrade you to when you connect to a site that's been updated with an
emergency fix, but it'll be a while until we get that fix rolled out to
all of our clusters, including back-ports to sites that are locked down to
specific versions.

-- 
Joe Hildebrand

---

From: Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2012 16:34:20 -0400

> all of our clusters, including back-ports to sites that are locked down to

Thanks Joe! So this was two distinct problems.

	Thanks,
	Paul

---

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2012 16:42:10 -0400

My failure happened with Safari and Firefox (not Chrome).

Russ

On Oct 1, 2012, at 1:34 PM, Paul Kyzivat wrote:

> Can you provide a bit more context about what is going on, so that people can evaluate how it affects their particular situation/usage?
> 
> I saw the problem earlier, (and wasn't alone), but with Firefox and Safari. It eventually went away "on its own". AFAIK I had no updates to OS X, or Firefox between not working and working again.
>