Subject: [vmeet] IETF95 remote attendance

From: Meetecho IETF support <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2016 13:03:27 +0200

All,

please find below some data about remote attendance at IETF95 in Buenos 
Aires.

- 1976 accesses to Meetecho (multiple accesses by the same user within 
the same session are counted only once).

- 621 registered remote participants.

- 712 unique remote participants joined Meetecho through the week; among 
these, 282 opted to also put their Registration ID.

- 44 successful remote presentations.
- 2 failed remote presentations.

- 33 successful remote interventions through the virtual queue.
- 10 failed remote interventions through the virtual queue.

Virtual queue's success rate evolution during the week:
- Monday:     7 OK, 5 KO
- Tuesday:    8 OK, 3 KO
- Wednesday:  7 OK, 2 KO
- Thursday:   4 OK, 0 KO
- Friday:     7 OK, 0 KO

Note #1: starting on Monday night we made more explicit that people who 
wanted to use the virtual queue were recommended to perform the 
self-test in order to check everything was working on their side.

Note #2: almost all participants which failed on Monday/Tuesday, managed 
to succeed during the rest of the week.

Cheers,
the Meetecho team

---

From: Stewart Bryant <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2016 12:18:31 +0100

On 15/04/2016 12:03, Meetecho IETF support wrote:
> - 712 unique remote participants joined Meetecho through the week; 
> among these, 282 opted to also put their Registration ID. 

There was something odd about the registration number system.

I tried to enter my registration number a few times but it rejected it 
every time.

Since it did not REQUIRE(sic)  the registration number  I just used the 
option not to enter it.

- Stewart

---

From: Joseph Lorenzo Hall <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2016 07:56:09 -0400

On Fri, Apr 15, 2016 at 7:18 AM, Stewart Bryant
<[email-masked]> wrote:
> I tried to enter my registration number a few times but it rejected it every
> time.
>

I had to enter "Joseph Hall" instead of "Joe Hall" to get it to take my Reg. ID.

-- 
Joseph Lorenzo Hall
Chief Technologist, Center for Democracy & Technology [https://www.cdt.org]
e: [email-masked], p: 202.407.8825, pgp: https://josephhall.org/gpg-key
Fingerprint: 3CA2 8D7B 9F6D DBD3 4B10  1607 5F86 6987 40A9 A871

---

From: Simon Pietro Romano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2016 14:07:17 +0200

It was indeed required to insert “exactly” the same information as the one you provided when filling in the IETF registration form. 

Simon

> On 15/apr/2016, at 13:56, Joseph Lorenzo Hall <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 

                     					       _\\|//_
                           				      ( O-O )
   ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~o00~~(_)~~00o~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    				Simon Pietro Romano
             				 Universita' di Napoli Federico II
                		     Computer Engineering Department 
	             Phone: +39 081 7683823 -- Fax: +39 081 7683816
                                           e-mail: [email-masked]

		    <<Molti mi dicono che lo scoraggiamento è l'alibi degli 
		    idioti. Ci rifletto un istante; e mi scoraggio>>. Magritte.
               			                     oooO
  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~(   )~~~ Oooo~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
					                 \ (            (   )
			                                  \_)          ) /
                                                                       (_/

---

From: Meetecho IETF support <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2016 14:07:31 +0200

> I had to enter "Joseph Hall" instead of "Joe Hall" to get it to take my Reg. ID.

Your first and last name must be identical to the name used to register.

---

From: Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2016 10:58:00 -0400

> Since it did not REQUIRE(sic)  the registration number  I just used the

I understand how linking to the registration could be helpful. But the 
registration number isn't something that sticks in your memory. So I had 
to look up my registration confirmation and copy/paste the number. Doing 
that *once* wouldn't be much of a bother. But doing it for every session 
I entered was.

I think we need to find a better system for this. Perhaps cookies could 
be used to remember this stuff for the duration of the week. Then at 
least it would only be necessary to enter it once per device.

	Thanks,
	Paul

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2016 11:48:00 -0400

> among these, 282 opted to also put their Registration ID.

These numbers seem weird.
621 people registered, but then somewhere between 339 and 430 of them decided
not to put in their ID.
Clearly 91 people attended without having registered.

Some people might have put their registration in sometimes, and not other
times?    Would that couild as two?

If someone didn't put their number in for multiple sessions, would that count
as multiple?

Well, it says "712 unique".. how was that uniqueness determined, if not through IDs? 
If I used different devices (work/home/tablet/laptop) would that cound as
multiple?

I'm very impressed with the numbers: something like 50% of participants were remote.

-- 
Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-

---

From: Mikael Abrahamsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2016 17:58:34 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 15 Apr 2016, Meetecho IETF support wrote:

>
> - 1976 accesses to Meetecho (multiple accesses by the same user within the 
> same session are counted only once).
>

I attended at least 5 different sessions using Meetecho, didn't register 
my meeting ID (because I couldn't get it to work). I was sitting in the 
session room on the "ietf" wifi, primarily using Meetecho to fulfil my 
jabber scribe duties.

Was I counted as remote attendee?

-- 
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: [email-masked]

---

From: Mikael Abrahamsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2016 18:00:30 +0200 (CEST)

> Was I counted as remote attendee?

Oh, also I sometimes used

"Mikael","Abrahamsson" as first and last name, sometimes "Mikael" 
,"Abrahamsson (scribe)", and at least once I had to use (I believe) 
"Mikael","Abrahamsson2" because I was disconnected mid-session because the 
wifi connectivity broke.

How were all of these counted?

---

From: Meetecho IETF support <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2016 18:12:07 +0200

> Was I counted as remote attendee?

Yes.

We'll share some more data shortly, where we also distinguish between 
"remote participants" and "on-site remote participants", on a per 
session basis.

---

From: "HANSEN, TONY L" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2016 17:07:40 +0000

>Your first and last name must be identical to the name used to register.

Even more reason for the software to remember the data, using cookies or whatever, so we don't have to continue re-typing it in.

	Tony

---

From: Meetecho IETF support <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2016 19:21:26 +0200

Il 15/04/2016 18:00, Mikael Abrahamsson ha scritto:
> "Mikael","Abrahamsson2" because I was disconnected mid-session because
> the wifi connectivity broke.
>

It's not easy to answer this question.

We tried to eliminate duplicates as much as possible. Unique names were 
computed by also taking into account IP addresses, stripping off the 
"_1234" suffix that Meetecho automatically adds when a username is 
already picked, and some other parameters. But it's still possible that 
you were counted more than once.

We believe this can give a fairly realistic flavor of remote attendance 
figures. Of course, if we mandate the use of the Registration ID, we can 
easily have the real numbers...

---

From: Meetecho IETF support <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2016 19:22:43 +0200

> least it would only be necessary to enter it once per device.

This is definitely on our to-do list and will be implemented for the 
next meeting.

>
>      Thanks,
>      Paul
>
> _______________________________________________
> NOTE WELL: This list operates according to
> http://mipassoc.org/dkim/ietf-list-rules.html.
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/vmeet

---

From: Meetecho IETF support <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2016 19:45:22 +0200

> 621 people registered, but then somewhere between 339 and 430 of them decided

Well, Reg IDs are hard to remember. As there were not mandatory, our 
feeling is that a lot of people just didn't want to spend time 
retrieving the confirmation email the registration system sent them.

> times?    Would that couild as two?

This actually depends on the name they used, the IP address, and some 
other parameters we take into account to minimize duplication.

> If someone didn't put their number in for multiple sessions, would that count

See above.

> If I used different devices (work/home/tablet/laptop) would that cound as

Again, see above. :)

> I'm very impressed with the numbers: something like 50% of participants were remote.

Please remember that some remote participants were actually "on-site". 
We've even seen a couple of remote questions through the virtual queue 
from people we met in BA! ;)

---

From: Stewart Bryant <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2016 20:54:13 +0100

On 15/04/2016 13:07, Meetecho IETF support wrote:
>>>> among

I am sure that in both cases I used "Stewart Bryant".

Stewart