Subject: Protocol Action: Virtual Router Redundancy Protocol to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 06:58:47 -0500

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'Virtual Router Redundancy
Protocol' <draft-ietf-vrrp-spec-06.txt> as a Proposed Standard.  This
document is the product of the Virtual Router Redundancy Protocol
Working Group.  The IESG contact persons is Joel Halpern.

Technical Summary
 
 This protocol provides a mechanism for hosts to find and use a default
 router without any of Router Discovery, DHCP, or per site configuration.
 This default router mechanism allows for redundancy and load sharing. It
 also works properly with ICMP redirects for those sites where that
 technique is useful.

Working Group Summary

 The working group strongly supported advancement of this protocol.  The
 only significant dissent was support for certain existing deployed
 protocols.  While this dissent was clear and present, the rough consensus
 of the working group was in favor of VRRP.

Protocol Quality

 The protocol has been reivewed for the IESG by Joel M. Halpern, the
 Routing Area Director.  It is a sound, practical solution to the problem.