Subject: 2 questions on the VRRP spec.

From: Carol Iturralde <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 1998 09:22:54 -0400

I understand that Advertisements must be send using
00-00-5E-00-01-{VRID} as the source MAC address.

My questions are:

  - when sending an ARP reply (when the request was for a
    IP address of a virtual router), must this reply be sent
    using 00-00-5E-00-01-{VRID} as the source MAC address?
    (I understand that this MAC address must be present in
    the ARP packet, but I am asking about the datalink header'
    source MAC address).  

    I don't recall seeing this spelled out in the spec.

  - when a vrrp-router forwards a data packet which it received
    (with MAC DA == 00-00-5E-00-01-{VRID1}), and the outgoing
    interface it uses to forward the packet is also one on
    which it is acting as a virtual router, is it required
    to use 00-00-5E-00-01-{VRID2} as the source MAC address
    of the outbound packet?

    Again, I don't recall seeing this spelled out in the spec.

The reason these questions are important is that it is fairly
easy to implement the insertion of the special MAC address
in ARP code, and also when sending Advertisements.  The other
two cases (above) are more complicated, and I don't want
to do them if they are not required.

Please advise.