Subject: problems with the VRRP mib?

From: Carol Iturralde <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 1998 11:51:35 -0500

Hi.  I'm implemeting VRRP in our bridge-router codebase, and
have seen some issues with the VRRP mib.  I was hoping you
could tell me whether these are really issues, or if I have
simply misunderstood something.  They are:

 1 -  vrrpOperControl ...
        DESCRIPTION
            "This object will enable/disable the virtual router
            function. Setting the value to 'enabled', will transition
            the state of the router from 'initialize to 'backup';
            Setting the value to 'disabled', will tranisition the
            router from 'master' or 'backup' to 'initialize'."
        DEFVAL    { enabled }

      I have two problems with the above:

      a) a VRRP router may transition from initialize directly
         to master or backup.  Enabling a vrrp router will cause
         it to transition to EITHER backup or master.  I think
         you have forgotten about one of these state transitions,
         no?

      b) When enabled, a VRRP router may not immediately transtion
         out of 'initialize' (for example, if the interface is
         not yet up, it may wait for the interface to come up first).
         I am concerned that a newtork manager, reading the above
         description, may expect the state transition to be immediate
         (it will not).  Is it worth adding a word about this?

 2 - vrrpStatsBecomeMaster OBJECT-TYPE
        SYNTAX       Counter32
        MAX-ACCESS   read-only
        STATUS       current
        DESCRIPTION
            "The total number of times that this virtual router's state
            has transitioned from BACKUP to MASTER."
        ::= { vrrpRouterStatsEntry 1 }

        The problem here is the same -- a VRRP router may become
        master by transition from BACKUP to MASTER, or from
        INITIALIZE to MASTER.  Hence, I think the above should say
        "The total number of times that this virtual router's state
         has transitioned to MASTER.".  No?

---

From: David Tsao-Pin Chuang <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 19:03:10 -0800 (PST)

Carol,

	In version 2, a VRRP router can transit from initialize state directly
	to MASTER. The related two MIBs' description need to be corrected.
	
	When a VRRP router is enabled, the state may not become BACKUP or
	MASTER. It may stay in initialize and waiting for interface/IP to come up.
	So, you are also correct on this.
	
	Thanks for the information.
	
David