From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2000 15:41:06 -0500

The index for a VrrpOperEntry has two parts to it, the vrid and the
ifIndex.   If an "unsigned integer" ( 32 bits ) is used to store the index
( both the vrid and ifIndex),  the ifIndex is limited to 24 bits, since the
vrid can be (1-255).  Can anybody tell me if this would be a proper
implementation?

Thanks,
Rick England

---

From: "Danny J. Mitzel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2000 15:11:13 -0800

>> vrid can be (1-255).  Can anybody tell me if this would be a proper

internal to your router implementation, if 24 bits is sufficient to
represent an interface index and you want to use a single 32 bit
integer as key/index into your table then I think you're free to
do that.  however as the INDEX of an SNMP MIB table I believe these
are treated and encoded as two objects.  the SMI document [rfc2578] 
should discuss how to map each of the objects to form its portion of the 
instance identifier (both the ifIndex and VrId are underlying 
integer-valued).  once the instance identifier is formed then 
things proceed as normal: assign OID as the name VarBind in some 
SNMP PDU [rfc1905] and encode/serialize for transmission [ISO ASN.1 BER].

danny