Subject: real vs virtual associated ip addresses

From: Michelle Jarrett <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 13:16:51 -0800

The vrrp spec says a router becomes master if it owns the
associated IP addressES.  However, a network "guru" told me 
that one of the routers can have ONE real ip address configured 
but that the rest are virtual.  Is only one real associated 
address allowed? 

Thanks, 

Michelle Jarrett

---

From: Ben Black <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 13:23:33 -0800

i'm not sure i fully understand your question, but here goes.  
most routers (including servers acting as routers) have
a "primary" IP address for an interface and any additional
IP addresses are called "secondary" or "alias".  this, however
is completely irrelevant to VRRP.  VRRP makes no distinction
between a primary and a secondary address on an interface, as
it only cares that a *single* interface on a *single* router
is designated as the "owner" (not that it does not say "real",
"primary", or any other name that would imply something about
the specific router).

make sense?

ben