Subject: VRRP operation over separate segments

From: Bentzy Weissman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 10:01:08 +0200

Hi,

Does VRRP suppose to work (as is) on separate segments on the same LAN
(ATM LAN Emulation, etc').

thanks,

Benzi Weissman
SW Eng.
RADGUARD Ltd.

**********************************************************************
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and
intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they
are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify
[email-masked]

This footnote also confirms that this email message has been swept by
MIMEsweeper for the presence of computer viruses.
**********************************************************************

---

From: "Aruneesh Salhotra" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 14:08:18 +0530

Hi Bentzy
VRRP is supposed to work over different segments, on the same LAN.
In case of LANE, the LES will hold the mapping between the VRRP MAC address
and the ATM address of the machine acting as the VRRP Master router.
Whenever a LEC has to send data to the VRRP IP address, it will first get
the VRRP MAC address for the same using IP ARP, and then using LE_ARP, it
will get the ATM address of the VRRP Master Router.
All this is supportive of the fact, that VRRP works over different segments
present on the same LAN.
Aruneesh
(Nortel Networks.)