Subject: VRRP and interfaces... ?

From: "J.C. Roberts" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2001 10:45:21 -0700

I've read and reread the RFC over and over but I wanted to make sure I
understand the basic function of VRRP...

As far as the documentation states a "Virtual Router" has two basic
parts, and ID (VRID) and a link level MAC address (VRMAC). Of the
hosts participating in the "Virtual Router" only one of them is the
"owner" of the IP address used as the default gateway for the network
and this system is the default "Master" of the Virtual Router.

If the "Master" dies a "Backup" will takes it's place by assigning the
VRMAC to an interface and replying any the broadcasted ARP requests
for the virtual routers IP address (which it doesn't own or have
assigned to any interface) with the VRMAC it just assigned.

(On Page 17)
The backup-turned-master MUST respond to ARP requests for the router
IP and the response is the VRMAC address.

The backup-turned-master MUST NOT accept packets addressed to the
virtual router IP (since it is not the owner).

So basically the backup-turned-master assigns the VRMAC to an
interface, broadcasts a gratuitous ARP of the VRMAC for the router IP
(which it doesn't have assigned to any interface) and replies to any
broadcasted ARP requests for the router IP ?

Is the way it is really supposed to work?

Thanks,
JCR