Subject: VRRP Master router election question

From: Dhaval Shah <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 11:38:34 -0700

Hi
	If two VRRP routers have same priority, but one has higher IP address then 
other, does that affect the Master Router election?
	According to the RFC, only when a router is in Master state, will it look for 
the primary IP address of the sender and compares it against its own primary 
IP address. When it is in Backup state it doesnt do that comparison. Why?
	This creates a problem when, Master router's priority is lowered to match 
Backup router's priority, but Backup router has a higher primary IP address 
then Master. Backup router will never send out the advertisement announcing 
itself as Master as it never does the comparison.

thanks
Dhaval.

---

From: danny mitzel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 15:40:33 -0700 (PDT)

two boxes with the same priority are equally
preferential.  there's no reason to disrupt a
functioning master to yield to an equivalent
alternative path.  the IP address doesn't ``boost'' 
the priority, it just provides a final tiebreaker
if/when multiple boxes are in master state.

> itself as Master as it never does the comparison.

__________________________________________________
Terrorist Attacks on U.S. - How can you help?
Donate cash, emergency relief information
http://dailynews.yahoo.com/fc/US/Emergency_Information/