Subject: [VRRP] VRRPv3 VMAC allocation

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 20:08:35 -0700

I don't know if this has been raised before.  these recent 
discussion have prompted me to read the VRRPv3 draft and I
have some issue with the use of the 00-00-5E-00-01-{VRID} 
VMAC mapping.  VRRPv3 is not multi-protocol.  I believe there
are and will be more mixed IPv4/IPv6 environments.  this means
a site relying on vrrp may run VRRPv2 and VRRPv3 simultaneous.
relying on vendors or users to recognize that usage of vrid=1 
within a VRRPv2/IPv4 deployment precludes or can interfere 
with a VRRPv3/IPv6 deployment seems somewhat problematic.  
and the two protocols currently have no way to detect each 
other or the potential conflict.  I would suggest the working
group request IANA allocation of another 256 vmac address block
to partition the protocols.  there are likely more elaborate
solutions but I don't believe these mac address are that scarce
and partitioning seems most straight forward.

danny
_______________________________________________
vrrp mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/vrrp