Subject: [VRRP] Protocol Action: 'Virtual Router Redundancy Protocol' to Draft Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 10:32:17 -0500

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Virtual Router Redundancy Protocol '
   <draft-ietf-vrrp-spec-v2-10.txt> as a Draft Standard

This document is the product of the Virtual Router Redundancy Protocol Working 
Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Alex Zinin and Bill Fenner.

Technical Summary
 
 VRRP specifies an election protocol that dynamically assigns
 responsibility for a virtual router to one of the VRRP routers on a
 LAN.  The VRRP router controlling the IP address(es) associated with
 a virtual router is called the Master, and forwards packets sent to
 these IP addresses.  The election process provides dynamic fail over
 in the forwarding responsibility should the Master become
 unavailable.  This allows any of the virtual router IP addresses on
 the LAN to be used as the default first hop router by end-hosts.  The
 advantage gained from using VRRP is a higher availability default
 path without requiring configuration of dynamic routing or router
 discovery protocols on every end-host.
 
Working Group Summary
 
 There was a consensus within the WG on this document
 
Protocol Quality
 
 The specification has been reviewed for the IESG by Alex Zinin and
 Bill Fenner. The protocol has been widely implemented and deployed.

_______________________________________________
vrrp mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/vrrp