Subject: [VRRP] draft-ietf-vrrp-unified-spec-01: Unsolicited Neighbor Advertisement

From: "G. C." <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2008 08:50:11 -0400

My apologies if this has been discussed before.

Section 6.4.1 states "For each IPv6 address associated with the Virtual
Router, send an unsolicited ND Neighbor Advertisement with the Router Flag
(R) set, the Solicited Flag (S) unset, the Override flag (O) set, the Target
Address set to the IPv6 link-local address of the Virtual Router, and the
Target Link Layer address set to the virtual router MAC address."

I was expecting the Target Address to be set to the IPv6 address of that is
being advertised, not to the link-local address of the Virtual Router only.

Section 6.4.2 states "Send an unsolicited ND Neighbor Advertisement with the
Router Flag (R) set, the Solicited Flag (S) unset, the Override flag (O)
set, the Target Address set to the IPv6 link-local address of the Virtual
Router, and the Target Link Layer address set to the virtual router MAC
address."

Is only one unsolicited Neighbor Advertisement sent (for the link-local
address of the Virtual Router)?  Don't we need to send one for every address
associated with the Virtual Router as in Section 6.4.1?

Thanks,
Georges Chung
_______________________________________________
vrrp mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/vrrp

---

From: "Stephen Nadas" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 14:12:46 -0500

Hi Georges, 
 
Thank you for the comment; we think you are correct here.  We should
remove "link-local" from sentence in 6.4.1 and add use the same language
to 6.4.2.  
 
so in 6.4.1: 

            * For each IPv6 address associated with the Virtual Router,
            send an unsolicited ND Neighbor Advertisement with the
            Router Flag (R) set, the Solicited Flag (S) unset, the
            Override flag (O) set, the Target Address set to the IPv6
            address of the Virtual Router, and the Target
            Link Layer address set to the virtual router MAC address.
 
and in 6.4.2  replace  
 
            * Send an unsolicited ND Neighbor Advertisement with the
            Router Flag (R) set, the Solicited Flag (S) unset, the
            Override flag (O) set, the Target Address set to the IPv6
            link-local address of the Virtual Router, and the Target
            Link Layer address set to the virtual router MAC address.

with the same fixed text (1st para above) from 6.4.1 
 
Regards,
Steve 

________________________________

	From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of G. C.
	Sent: Tuesday, April 08, 2008 8:50 AM
	To: [email-masked]
	Subject: [VRRP] draft-ietf-vrrp-unified-spec-01: Unsolicited
NeighborAdvertisement

	Section 6.4.1 states "For each IPv6 address associated with the
Virtual Router, send an unsolicited ND Neighbor Advertisement with the
Router Flag (R) set, the Solicited Flag (S) unset, the Override flag (O)
set, the Target Address set to the IPv6 link-local address of the
Virtual Router, and the Target Link Layer address set to the virtual
router MAC address."
	
	I was expecting the Target Address to be set to the IPv6 address
of that is being advertised, not to the link-local address of the
Virtual Router only.

	Section 6.4.2 states "Send an unsolicited ND Neighbor
Advertisement with the Router Flag (R) set, the Solicited Flag (S)
unset, the Override flag (O) set, the Target Address set to the IPv6
link-local address of the Virtual Router, and the Target Link Layer
address set to the virtual router MAC address."
	
	Is only one unsolicited Neighbor Advertisement sent (for the
link-local address of the Virtual Router)?  Don't we need to send one
for every address associated with the Virtual Router as in Section
6.4.1?

	Thanks,
	Georges Chung