Subject: FW: BCP 25, RFC 2418 on Working Group Guidelines

From: Jim Whitehead <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 13:45:09 -0700

FYI -- I occasionally get asked questions on how IETF working groups
operate, and the roles of various positions within the working group.  This
document, along with RFC 2026, provides normative descriptions.

- Jim

-----Original Message-----
From: RFC Editor [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, September 21, 1998 10:51 AM
To: IETF-Announce: ;
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: BCP 25, RFC 2418 on Working Group Guidelines

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        BCP 25:
        RFC 2418:

        Title:	    IETF Working Group Guidelines and Procedures
	Author(s):  S. Bradner
	Status:     Best Current Practice
	Date:       September 1998
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
	Pages:      26
        Characters: 62857
        Obsoletes:  1603

        URL:        ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2418.txt

The Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) has responsibility for
developing and reviewing specifications intended as Internet
Standards. IETF activities are organized into working groups (WGs).
This document describes the guidelines and procedures for formation
and operation of IETF working groups. It also describes the formal
relationship between IETF participants WG and the Internet Engineering
Steering Group (IESG) and the basic duties of IETF participants,
including WG Chairs, WG participants, and IETF Area Directors.

This document is a product of the Process for Organization of Internet
Standards ONgoing Working Group of the IETF.

This document specifies an Internet Best Current Practices for the
Internet Community, and requests discussion and suggestions for
improvements.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Alegre Ramos
USC/Information Sciences Institute