Subject: RE: Optional Backpointers from Targets to References

From: "Lisa Lippert (Dusseault) (Exchange)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 09:52:22 -0700

A couple possible solutions to the issue you present Jim...

1.  Such granular properties can be tractable if good inheritance is defined
and used.  Most properties may have the same ACLs as the resource they are
on.  Most resources may have more or less the same ACLs as their parent
collections.  This cuts down a great deal on storage, at least.

2.  Properties that are "read-only" need not be marked as such by ACLs.
"read-only" means that nobody can write to the property, therefore no write
ACLs are necessary.  If the system calculates the property and changes it
that's fine -- that's not covered by ACLs.  So John invoking ACLs may have
been just a short form for "the server can control write access to the
property on all resources" not necessarily "create an access control entry
on the property on this resource".  I'm putting words into your mouth John,
so correct me if I'm wrong.

Lisa

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Amsden [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, September 15, 1998 4:21 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Optional Backpointers from Targets to References

This will require ACLs on individual properties, something many servers may
not
do as it presents a significant administration burden compared to simple
CRUD
ACLs. ACLs for every user, on every resource, for each resource property,
for
every WebDAV method is not tractable. We are rapidly reaching a scaleability
problem.

[email-masked] on 09/15/98 05:51:01 PM
Please respond to [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
cc:
Subject: Re: Optional Backpointers from Targets to References

Jim Amsden wrote:

> And third, creating a
> reference to a resource will require modification of the target resource
to
> update its properties

I don't believe that has to be a problem.  The ACLs can be set up so that
they
specifically permit the backpointer property to be updated by the server.
(Come
to that, it's a live property, so write access may not mean very much in the
first place.)

--
/====================================================================\
|John (Francis) Stracke    |My opinions are my own.|S/MIME supported |
|Software Retrophrenologist|=========================================|
|Netscape Comm. Corp.      |"But she calls her ship _Mercy of the    |
[email-masked]      | Goddess_!" "Kali." "Oh."                |
\====================================================================/
New area code for work number: 650

---

From: John Stracke <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 13:37:45 -0700

"Lisa Lippert (Dusseault) (Exchange)" wrote:

> So John invoking ACLs may have

No, that is what I meant.

--
/====================================================================\
|John (Francis) Stracke    |My opinions are my own.|S/MIME supported |
|Software Retrophrenologist|=========================================|
|Netscape Comm. Corp.      |There are footprints on the moon.  No    |
[email-masked]      | feet, just footprints.                  |
\====================================================================/
New area code for work number: 650