Subject: Re: Direct References in the Advanced Collections Requiremen

From: Jim Amsden <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 15:03:46 -0400

I think we're agreeing here, its just a problem of perspective. In you
description below, both the client and server might effectively "read through"
the reference depending on the request. I'm only trying to suggest that the
important issue is if the reference is read through or not, not what role a
piece of code is playing in a client/server architecture. This is because some
implementations of WebDAV may not be client/server.

[email-masked] on 09/22/98 01:42:16 PM
Please respond to [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
cc:
Subject: Re: Direct References in the Advanced Collections Requiremen

Jim Amsden wrote:

> Reading through a reference to the target or not has nothing to do with client
> and server or communication for that matter.

How could that be? The HTTP client issues a request to the server (by
definition:
the client is the one that issues a request), and then either (a) the server
applies that request to the reference's target, or (b) the server tells the
client what the target is, and the client reissues the request for the new URI.
Case (a), the reference is dereferenced on the server side; case (b), it's
dereferenced on the client side.

--
/====================================================================\
|John (Francis) Stracke    |My opinions are my own.|S/MIME supported |
|Software Retrophrenologist|=========================================|
|Netscape Comm. Corp.      | Life is like a metaphor.                |
[email-masked]      |                                         |
\====================================================================/
New area code for work number: 650