Subject: Re: Direct References in the Advanced Collections Requiremen

From: Jim Amsden <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 11:08:36 -0400

Reading through a reference to the target or not has nothing to do with client
and server or communication for that matter. Either party in the communication
might want to do both at one time or another.

[email-masked] on 09/18/98 04:44:11 PM
Please respond to [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
cc:
Subject: Re: Direct References in the Advanced Collections Requiremen

"Slein, Judith A" wrote:

> We are still wrestling with the terminology for this distinction.  I've had
> objections in private correspondence to Client-Side / Server-Side, because
> they seem to imply something about the location of the requester that
> irrelevant to the distinction we are trying to make.

I disagree on this point, actually; in the HTTP conversation, the entity
issuing the request is the client by definition, regardless of where that
entity is running.

> Or stick with Indirect Reference / Direct Reference

I still prefer these two, myself; I'd go along with Client-Side/Server-Side,
but the others seem too contrived.

--
/====================================================================\
|John (Francis) Stracke    |My opinions are my own.|S/MIME supported |
|Software Retrophrenologist|=========================================|
|Netscape Comm. Corp.      | Organ transplants are best left to the  |
[email-masked]      |  professionals.                         |
\====================================================================/
New area code for work number: 650

---

From: John Stracke <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 10:49:23 -0700

Jim Amsden wrote:

> and server or communication for that matter.

How could that be? The HTTP client issues a request to the server (by definition:
the client is the one that issues a request), and then either (a) the server
applies that request to the reference's target, or (b) the server tells the
client what the target is, and the client reissues the request for the new URI.
Case (a), the reference is dereferenced on the server side; case (b), it's
dereferenced on the client side.

--
/====================================================================\
|John (Francis) Stracke    |My opinions are my own.|S/MIME supported |
|Software Retrophrenologist|=========================================|
|Netscape Comm. Corp.      | Life is like a metaphor.                |
[email-masked]      |                                         |
\====================================================================/
New area code for work number: 650