Subject: Re: Adv. Coll. items from the 42nd IETF

From: Jim Amsden <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 19:40:51 -0400

3. Issue: Should access control of references be distinct from those
of target?

Yes. SQL views are a good example of a similar concept.

4. Issue: Should the owner of a resource should be able to prevent creation of
references to it via ACL?  This would affect requirements for ACL, not ACR.

No, creating a reference to a resource should only require read access to the
resource. In general, the ACL scheme needs to be simplified from ACLs on every
DAV method to ACLs on the effect the DAV method has on the state of the
resource. Basically CRUD plus Execute like in most operating systems.

---

From: John Stracke <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 17:25:27 -0700

Jim Amsden wrote:

> resource.

Probably not even that--a reference presents no more risk to the resource than a
link.

--
/====================================================================\
|John (Francis) Stracke    |My opinions are my own.|S/MIME supported |
|Software Retrophrenologist|=========================================|
|Netscape Comm. Corp.      |Beware of wizards, for you are crunchy   |
[email-masked]      | and good with ketchup.                  |
\====================================================================/
New area code for work number: 650