Subject: FW: RFC 2413 on Dublin Core Metadata for Resource Discovery

From: Jim Whitehead <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 1998 17:50:18 -0700

FYI.  Dublin Core is significant for WebDAV, and especially DASL, since it
defines a common metadata set for bibliographic metadata.  WebDAV servers
which define Dublin Core metadata on their resources will be amenable to
searches on that metadata using DASL searching.

- Jim

-----Original Message-----
From: RFC Editor [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, September 02, 1998 12:26 PM
To: IETF-Announce: ;
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: RFC 2413 on Dublin Core Metadata for Resource Discovery

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 2413:

        Title:	    Dublin Core Metadata for Resource Discovery
	Author(s):  S. Weibel, J. Kunze, C. Lagoze, M. Wolf
	Status:     Informational
	Date:       September 1998
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked],
		    [email-masked], [email-masked]
	Pages:      8
        Characters: 15501
        Updates/Obsoletes/See Also: None

        URL:        ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2413.txt

The Dublin Core Metadata Workshop Series began in 1995 with an
invitational workshop which brought together librarians, digital
library researchers, content experts, and text-markup experts to
promote better discovery standards for electronic resources.  The
Dublin Core is a 15-element set of descriptors that has emerged from
this effort in interdisciplinary and international consensus building.
This is the first of a set of Informational RFCs describing the Dublin
Core.  Its purpose is to introduce the Dublin Core and to describe the
consensus reached on the semantics of each of the 15 elements.

This memo provides information for the Internet community.  It does
not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Distribution of this
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Alegre Ramos
USC/Information Sciences Institute