Subject: Re: [Webtransport] Protocol work (was [hybi] WebTransport Mailing List)

From: Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2019 13:46:54 -0700

Lennart said:

"W3C WebTransport API is a *framework* for all sorts of transports delivering
streams or datagrams that may or may not be reliable/ordered on top of a
transport that may or may not be reliable/ordered. So IMO, this mailing
list or the perhaps upcoming IETF WG should not be limited to unreliable
transports either. For example, it's very well possible to reuse RFC 6455
(WebSocket) and create a WebTransport-based API for it."

[BA] As I understand it, the W3C Web Incubation Community Group (WICG) is
handling the WebTransport API (see: https://github.com/WICG/web-transport ),
so that the focus of the IETF would be on *new protocol development*. From
that perspective, the following protocol documents seem potentially
relevant:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-kinnear-httpbis-http2-transport  (HTTP/2
Transport)
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-vvv-webtransport-http3 (HTTP/3 Transport)
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-vvv-webtransport-overview
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-vvv-webtransport-quic  (QuicTransport)

During the discussion in DISPATCH there were some comments suggesting focus
on the HTTP/3 (and perhaps HTTP/2) protocol work. While that seems like a
natural extension to RFCs 6445 and 8441, QuicTransport does reduce the
roundtrips needed when it is known that the server (and intervening
network) support QUIC.