Subject: [weirds] Validated registration data (Re: validate, was ICANN 45 report)

From: Francisco Arias <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2012 14:25:40 -0800

I agree with John that validation can mean different things and I don't
think there is anything to do for us here. Validation of registration data
is beyond the protocol work.

Regarding the work on this area in ICANN, as others pointed out it is
still a work in progress, so there are not yet definitive requirements. I
don't know about ccTLDs.

In any case, I suspect at the end the requirement would be to add data
elements in the response (e.g., the validated date, URI to the validation
procedure) but nothing in the protocol itself.

Regards,

__

Francisco.

On 10/20/12 6:15 AM, "John Levine" <[email-masked]> wrote:

>>> How does one "validate" a domain name, name server, or IP address, or
>>is this really about contact information?
>>
>>I had the same question at first but it looks like that's been
>>clarified here.  I suggest that in our reply definition we include a
>>very precise explanation of what "validate" means in this context.
>
>The problem is that it can mean a very wide variety of things:
>
>* Check that an IP is routed, that an appropriate server answers,
>and/or that an appropriate server has the right DNS records for a
>delegated domain.
>
>* Check that an alleged phone number is syntactically valid, e.g.,
>has the right number of digits and that that prefix digits are
>in use.
>
>* Call the phone number and see who answers, either mechanically
>by having a robot read off a code that the registrant types into a
>web page, or by humans talking to whoever answers.
>
>* Check that an alleged email address is syntactically valid and has
>appropriate DNS records, will accept a message, accepts a message and
>doesn't bounce, and/or that someone clicks a URL in the message.
>
>* Check that a postal address is valid, in countries where it's
>possible to do that.
>
>* Mail something to the postal address with a verification code to
>enter.
>
>etc. etc.
>
>I know people who do all these things for various sorts of signup
>verifications.  And there are doubtless more that I haven't seen.
>
>We could try and come up with a set of categories, i.e., syntax valid,
>semantics valid, contact verified, but it sounds to me like an area
>where we don't know what we're doing.  So unless someone offers an
>actual implementation of something more than a validation date, I'd
>rather not guess.
>
>-- 
>Regards,
>John Levine, [email-masked], Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for
>Dummies",
>Please consider the environment before reading this e-mail. http://jl.ly
>_______________________________________________
>weirds mailing list
>[email-masked]
>https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/weirds