Subject: [weirds] Comments on draft-ietf-weirds-json-response-02

From: Jean-Philippe Dionne <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2013 10:23:11 -0500

Hi,

A few comments on the IANA considerations for the JSON reponse draft.

Regards
Jean-Philippe

---

From: Andy Newton <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 03:36:45 +0000

>A few comments on the IANA considerations for the JSON reponse draft.

Jean-Philippe,

Thanks for the review. Here are my comments:

Section 5.1:
> <JPD>
> An IANA registry needs to be created to protect the namespace.
> </JPD>

That registry is defined in draft-ietf-weirds-using-http.

Section 11:
> <JPD>
> IANA shall create a new registry for the "rdapConformance" namespace.
> Two registration procedures are defined according to string prefixes:
> - "rdap_": Standard Action
> - "local_": First Come, First Served
>
> This specification adds one entry to the registry:
>
> Name            Description      Reference
> ------------    -----------      ---------------
> rdap_level_0                     [This document]
>
> </JPD>

I do not understand the necessity to register the rdap_ strings since they
are defined by standard action in the RFC. The intent of the registry is
to offer a place where non-standard extensions can be found. Am I missing
something?

> <JPD>
> The json response schema could also be maintained by an IANA registry.
> A registry can protect the first level property names defined in this
>document.
> </JPD>

That seems to be very redundant with the draft/RFC. Why would we want to
do this? Can you explain further?

Thanks for the review.
-andy

---

From: Simon Perreault <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 11:56:07 +0100

> to offer a place where non-standard extensions can be found. Am I missing

Yes, you're misunderstanding the purpose of IANA registries. ;) They are 
useful no matter whether the thing being registered is standard or 
non-standard. See RFC 5526.

There are already plenty of IANA registries with separate registration 
rules for different string prefixes. And... guess what... vCard is one 
such registry. ;) We have e.g. vCard properties starting with "VND-" 
that are non-standard (first come first served), and everything else is 
"Expert Review and RFC Required".
http://www.iana.org/assignments/vcard-elements/vcard-elements.xml

Simon