Subject: [weirds] review comments on draft-ietf-weirds-rdap-query

From: Marc Blanchet <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2013 15:41:45 -0500

hello,
 please find my comments embedded in the copy of the draft and tagged with <MB>. credit: Few of the comments are also from my colleague Jean-Philippe Dionne.

Regards, Marc.

---

From: Arturo Servin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2013 16:14:56 +0800

Just a short comment.

"
The resource type path segments are:
   o  'ip': IP networks and associated data referenced using either an
      IPv4 or IPv6 address.
   o  'autnum': Autonomous system registrations and associated data
      referenced using an AS Plain autonomous system number.
   o  'domain': Reverse DNS (RIR) or domain name (DNR) information and
      associated data referenced using a fully-qualified domain name.
   o  'nameserver': Used to identify a name server information query.

<MB>Since this document talks about multiple kinds of registries and
that RIR may have names, I suggest to state "DNS name server" here to be
more precise, since that is the intent.</MB>
"

<AS> For the sake of keeping things clear I prefer the way it is, it is
very clear that in the case of RIRs is the reverse zone under .arpa.

/as

On 23/02/2013 04:41, Marc Blanchet wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> weirds mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/weirds
>

---

From: Andy Newton <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2013 06:23:40 +0000

From:  Marc Blanchet <[email-masked]>
>hello,
> please find my comments embedded in the copy of the draft and tagged
>with <MB>. credit: Few of the comments are also from my colleague
>Jean-Philippe Dionne.

Marc,

Thanks for the review. I owe you a beer in Orlando. (see how that works,
people!)

I'm responding here for the issues on which I have comments. Ones in which
I am agreement are not listed.

> 1.1. 
> <MB>Add "RESTful" into this set and a reference for definition</MB>

There was quite a bit of discussion on the list as regards to REST vs
RESTful. I could provide my interpretation of RESTful, but I wonder if
there is an external reference handy (one that doesn't confuse REST with
RESTful).

> <MB>If we are going to have multiple queries specified in multiple RFCs,
>we may better setup an IANA registry for > these, so they are all listed
>in the same place. Moreover, different from draft-ief-weirds-using-http,
>I think we > should not only register extensions, but all defined
>queries, therefore the ones in this document. And this
> document should be the creator of the registry. Here is a suggested
>contribution:

The IANA registry specified in draft-ietf-weirds-using-http is used by
draft-ietf-weirds-rdap-query and draft-ietf-weirds-json-response. Moving
it to rdap-query doesn't really help that dependency.

While registering the IETF specified queries is doable, do we conversely
register the IETF specified JSON names? That would be a big registration.

Again, thanks for the review Marc. Much appreciated.

-andy

---

From: Marc Blanchet <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2013 21:12:33 -0500

> there is an external reference handy (one that doesn't confuse REST with

minor comment. you may ignore it. one ref could be wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Representational_state_transfer

> it to rdap-query doesn't really help that dependency.

I don't really care about which document creates the registry. I just found more natural to be in the one that defines the semantics.

> 
> While registering the IETF specified queries is doable,

I think we should.

> do we conversely

good question. Let me think about it.

Marc.

---

From: Marc Blanchet <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2013 21:13:19 -0500

> very clear that in the case of RIRs is the reverse zone under .arpa.

fine. was a minor comment anyway.

Marc.

---

From: Andy Newton <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 03:38:15 +0000

On 2/27/13 10:12 AM, "Marc Blanchet" <[email-masked]> wrote:

>minor comment. you may ignore it. one ref could be
>wikipedia:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Representational_state_transfer

Marc,

Let me think about this. We had a somewhat amusing discussion on this list
over this very topic without much of a conclusion.

Thanks.

-andy