Subject: [weirds] Search pattern formats and base url's

From: "Summers, Dow" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2014 13:39:43 +0000

After the inter opt on Sunday I found two points in the query draft
that I would like to get clarified.   The first is an assumption in the
format of the search patterns.  The document gives the example of a search
pattern of “example*.com”.  I would like to have consistency in our search
expressions.    I implemented this feature using the POSIX regex pattern
“example.*\.com”.  This would match “ns1.example.com” and
“ns1-example-domain.com”.   After talking with others I would propose the
we add text to state there is an implied beginning and end of string
markers, and the “example*.com” search would be translated into regex as
“^example.*\.com$”.  I don’t want to imply I want regex.  I am just using
POSIX standard as a way to describe features in a defined format.

  The second is the use of the “/.well-kown/rdap” root.    The text below
is what is currently in rev 10 of the query document.

   Note that path and query information in the base URL are not used,
   because the well-known URL is rooted at "/.well-known/rdap"; for
   example, if a registry provides "http://example.com/other/path" as a
   base URL, RDAP query URLs will still begin with "http://example.com/
   .well-known/rdap”.

 I don’t have a problem using “/.well-kown/rdap”.  I would recommend
dropping this paragraph. The proceeding paragraphs define structure of the
path.  This paragraph describes a conversion from a previous draft.

  We have multiple domain’s served out of a single database( .COM, .NET,
…).  I had originally used the base url to determine the name of the
domain being searched(
http://tlab.verisign.com/COM/nameserver/ns1.example.net).  My current
stratigy will be to encode the name of the domain into the hostname of URL
( http://COM.tlab.verisign.com/.well-known/rdap/nameserver
<http://COM.tlab.verisign.com/.well-known/rdap/nameserver/>/ns1.example.net
).  Does anyone have a better idea on how to pass the scope of a query?

—
Dow Summers

“This message (including any attachments) is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed, and may contain information that is non-public, proprietary, privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law or may be constituted as attorney work product. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, notify sender immediately and delete this message immediately.”