Subject: [weirds] Authoritative server for entities

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2014 11:47:31 +0100

Section 2.3 of Redirection draft mentions authoritative source for 
entities and name servers.

Bootstrap draft doesn't include these objects and in case of entities it 
explicitly states that:
"Since there is no global namespace for entities, this document does not 
describe how to find the authoritative RDAP server for entities."

Since name servers can be used cross-zone there's no hierarchy and 
maintaining information about authoritative sources could be non-trivial.

What is the current thinking about this topic?

Best regards

Jan Korous

-- 

Jan Korous

CZ.NIC
Americka 23
120 00 Prague
Czech Republic

---

From: "John Levine" <[email-masked]>
Date: 14 Mar 2014 15:42:55 -0000

>What is the current thinking about this topic?

I brought this up a few times.  If a query goes through http redirects
before being answers, it can be hard for a client to tell what server
provided the final response.  So I agree that if the response includes
entity references, it needs to tell where to look them up, either by
returning the entities as URLs, or by a field with the URL prefix (I
hope not a template) for the server.

R's,
John

---

From: "Carlos M. Martinez" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2014 13:42:33 -0300

I'm revising the redirects draft according to some recently received
suggestions. I'd be happy to add text in this regard, but I'm not very
familiar with the names side of things.

Open question:

- do we just need more text and clarifications or do we need some
additional protocol stuff, like new attributes in json responses ?

cheers!

~Carlos

---

From: Andrew Newton <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2014 06:34:08 -0400

See paragraphs 1 & 2 of Section 6 in json-response.

-andy

On Fri, Mar 14, 2014 at 11:42 AM, John Levine <[email-masked]> wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> weirds mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/weirds

---

From: "John Levine" <[email-masked]>
Date: 17 Mar 2014 16:16:39 -0000

>See paragraphs 1 & 2 of Section 6 in json-response.

I should read the drafts more often, shouldn't I?

It looks OK except where it says 

  Clients MUST be able to process object instances without a "self"
  link.

I think we've agreed that entity handles are specific to servers, so
without the link you can't tell where to look it up other than by
guessing, which is slow and unreliable.

R's,
John

---

From: Andrew Newton <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2014 14:13:26 -0400

Servers SHOULD provide it. However, if they don't clients MUST be able
to deal with the absence of that link.

-andy

---

From: "John R Levine" <[email-masked]>
Date: 17 Mar 2014 15:04:17 -0400

> to deal with the absence of that link.

So long as dealing with it includes the option of giving up, that seems 
OK.

R's,
John