Subject: [weirds] Inter-Op discrepancy with specs: Search patterns

From: Ernie Dainow <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2014 14:57:07 -0400

According to 
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-weirds-rdap-query-10#section-4, 
the valid search patterns are only xxx* or xxx*.tld

     the search pattern "exam*" will match "example.com" and
    "example.net".  The search pattern "exam*.com" will match
    "example.com".  Additional pattern matching processing is beyond the
    scope of this specification.

The Inter-Op test has a number of search test cases of the form xxx.* 
which it expects to succeed.
  For example, ts_query_3_2_1_3
     GET http:// ... /.well-known/rdap/domains?name=cafe.*

I think it makes sense for wild card search to also include exact name 
lookup. This is the pattern xxx (or xxx.tld). This search form would 
address an earlier discussion of how to find out whether a name exists 
or not without requiring a large response from the server.

I think the spec should be changed to include these two search patterns:
xxx.*
xxx (includes xxx.tld)

-Ernie

---

From: Ernie Dainow <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2014 15:04:52 -0400

Actually what is the expectation of the server to process searches for 
xxx* or xxx.*

It seems that a server needs to submit this search to every tld server. 
This implies it needs to cycle through all the urls in the IANA 
bootstrap table. From the client's point of view, this is a single 
request, so it expects a single response. That means the server has to 
aggregate all the results from each server it queries into one 
integrated response. If one server exceeds its search limit and returns 
"searchResultsTruncated" : true, there is no way to indicate what subset 
of the total response it applies to.

These search capabilities are fairly complicated and go beyond current 
whois functionality. Unless they can be simplified, I think they should 
be deferred to a later version of RDAP. The only supported search 
patterns that correspond to typical whois servers is a search for 
xxx*.tld or xxx (exact lookup).

-Ernie

On Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 2:57 PM, Ernie Dainow <[email-masked] 
<mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:

    According to
    http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-weirds-rdap-query-10#section-4, the
    valid search patterns are only xxx* or xxx*.tld

         the search pattern "exam*" will match "example.com
    <http://example.com>" and
        "example.net <http://example.net>".  The search pattern
    "exam*.com" will match
        "example.com <http://example.com>".  Additional pattern matching
    processing is beyond the
        scope of this specification.

    The Inter-Op test has a number of search test cases of the form
    xxx.* which it expects to succeed.
      For example, ts_query_3_2_1_3
         GET http:// ... /.well-known/rdap/domains?name=cafe.*

    I think it makes sense for wild card search to also include exact
    name lookup. This is the pattern xxx (or xxx.tld). This search form
    would address an earlier discussion of how to find out whether a
    name exists or not without requiring a large response from the server.

    -Ernie

---

From: Simon Perreault <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2014 15:13:16 -0400

> of the total response it applies to.

Why would the RDAP server query other servers? Why doesn't it only
return what it has or hasn't in its own database?

Simon
-- 
DTN made easy, lean, and smart --> http://postellation.viagenie.ca
NAT64/DNS64 open-source        --> http://ecdysis.viagenie.ca
STUN/TURN server               --> http://numb.viagenie.ca

---

From: Ernie Dainow <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2014 16:39:30 -0400

> return what it has or hasn't in its own database?

That is a search for xxx*.tld or xxx.tld.

The spec gives an explicit example for xxx*:
      the search pattern "exam*" will match "example.com" and "example.net".

If you are the com server and just return "example.com" this is misleading
to the client if "example.net" also exists on the net server.

xxx.* is also a search across tld's

Searches across tld's should be deferred.

-Ernie

> _______________________________________________
> weirds mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/weirds
>

---

From: "John Levine" <[email-masked]>
Date: 19 Mar 2014 00:49:50 -0000

>      the search pattern "exam*" will match "example.com" and "example.net".

If that's what the spec says, the spec needs to be fixed.

The intention is to match what current WHOIS servers do, which is a
prefix match on whatever data the server handles.  Nobody expects it
to go searching other servers.

R's,
John

---

From: Andy Newton <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2014 01:02:58 +0000

On 3/18/14, 8:49 PM, "John Levine" <[email-masked]> wrote:

>>"example.net".

I don¹t think searching other servers was ever the intent. The purpose of
this is to allow one query to search both .com and .net (or whatever) if
that server handles both .com and .net (or whatever).

-andy

---

From: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2014 07:37:59 +0000

(Sorry for top posting)

What Andy said below is correct.

Scott

> On Mar 19, 2014, at 10:03 AM, "Andy Newton" <[email-masked]> wrote:
>