Subject: Datatracker "tracked" drafts

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2012 10:06:56 +0200

Hi,

I am checking out this new community tracker "tracked" list. As a WG
chair I apparently got in addition to my personal list also a per WG set
of tracked documents. This has created a number of questions about the
WG specific lists.

1. What is the visibility of these lists? Only for my co-chairs or can
also other see them?

2. How do I add individual documents to these lists. Doing a search only
enables me to add to the personal list, not a WG list what I can see.
Does one have to take the draft filename and add that as a specific rule
"All I-Ds that contain a particular text string in the name"?

Thanks

Magnus Westerlund

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research EAB/TVM
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ericsson AB                | Phone  +46 10 7148287
Färögatan 6                | Mobile +46 73 0949079
SE-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden| mailto: [email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2012 10:58:02 -0400

Magnus:

Did you look at RFC 6293?  This feature allows people to track documents of interest to a particular WG.

Russ

---

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2012 10:31:41 +0200

On 2012-07-04 16:58, Russ Housley wrote:
> Magnus:
> 
> Did you look at RFC 6293?  This feature allows people to track
> documents of interest to a particular WG.

I have now looked at RFC 6293 and understand the intention. The WG lists
would by my interpretation be shared when it comes to editing between
the WG chairs. I as chair can provide the link (from export tab) to the
WG and they will see the same list but not edit it.

I think question 2 below still is valid and I would like to get an
answer if this is intentional like this, or simply a failure for the
"add" in the search to take into account the fact that WG chairs have
more than one list, i.e. their personal one.

>> 2. How do I add individual documents to these lists. Doing a search
>> only enables me to add to the personal list, not a WG list what I
>> can see. Does one have to take the draft filename and add that as a
>> specific rule "All I-Ds that contain a particular text string in
>> the name"?

I also have a feature request:

If I as WG chair like to make the WG list made available where it is
directly associated by the WG. I would expect that this page:

https://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/rtcweb/

does contain a link to RTCWEB WG list. The reason is that I as WG chair
don't want to have to periodically inform the WG participants about the
pages existence.

This should be done using proper access control to the list so that it
isn't visible by anyone else then the WG chairs unless the box: "make
list publicly visible" is checked. When checked the page (public
non-readable) is linked also from the WG tracker.

I do have to note that the datatracker these days contains so many
features that a user guide to it is really needed. Or rather a couple of
different. One for the general public, one for the WG chair tracker and
one for ADs and then we have the administration of it.

Cheers

Magnus Westerlund

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2012 11:17:26 +0200

Hi Magnus,

>>> specific rule "All I-Ds that contain a particular text string in

It seems that would be the appropriate way of doing it, yes.

> don't want to have to periodically inform the WG participants about the

Agreed.  I realized that this would be a good feature, too, yesterday.

> non-readable) is linked also from the WG tracker.

Umm.  This is a completely new requirement going far outside the
framework set up by 6293, and I don't understand the background for
this.  What is so special about a list of tracked documents maintained
for the WG?

Are you planning to use this as a planning tool exclusively for the
chairs?  If so, I think that's a separate feature request, which should
not be conflated with the community I-D tracking feature.

	Henrik

> _______________________________________________
> Tools-discuss mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tools-discuss
>

---

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2012 16:16:30 +0200

On 2012-07-05 11:17, Henrik Levkowetz wrote:
>> I have now looked at RFC 6293 and understand the intention. The
>> WG lists would by my interpretation be shared when it comes to
>> editing between the WG chairs. I as chair can provide the link
>> (from export tab) to the WG and they will see the same list but
>> not edit it.
>> 
>> I think question 2 below still is valid and I would like to get
>> an answer if this is intentional like this, or simply a failure
>> for the "add" in the search to take into account the fact that WG
>> chairs have more than one list, i.e. their personal one.
>> 
>>> 
>>>> 2. How do I add individual documents to these lists. Doing a
>>>> search only enables me to add to the personal list, not a WG
>>>> list what I can see. Does one have to take the draft filename
>>>> and add that as a specific rule "All I-Ds that contain a
>>>> particular text string in the name"?
> 

I hope we will see something less cluncky in the future.

>> If I as WG chair like to make the WG list made available where it
>> is directly associated by the WG. I would expect that this page:
>> 
>> does contain a link to RTCWEB WG list. The reason is that I as WG
>> chair don't want to have to periodically inform the WG
>> participants about the pages existence.
> 
>> This should be done using proper access control to the list so
>> that it isn't visible by anyone else then the WG chairs unless
>> the box: "make list publicly visible" is checked. When checked
>> the page (public non-readable) is linked also from the WG
>> tracker.
> 
> framework set up by 6293, and I don't understand the background
> for this.  What is so special about a list of tracked documents
> maintained for the WG?

Maybe my suggestion is overstating the actual requirement. The
requirement from me as a chair would be the following:

With a simple click enable that the WG draft list maintained by the
chair is made accessible in a read-only fashion to the WG participants
and discoverable from the WG's page in the datatracker.

> 
> Are you planning to use this as a planning tool exclusively for
> the chairs?  If so, I think that's a separate feature request,
> which should not be conflated with the community I-D tracking
> feature.

I will discuss this with my co-chairs. But I can see that for example
for RTCWEB where we have a large number of dependencies on ongoing
work we would add the drafts our WG drafts depends on into this page
and provide the page publicly for any WG member to easily use as a
point of reference for the state of these dependencies.

If not I guess I would likely still want to use it with similar
content for us chairs to track the progress.

Cheers

Magnus Westerlund