Subject: [REMOTEUI] WHATWG relationship to remoteui?

From: Dean Willis <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2005 13:20:51 -0500

> From: Joe Gregorio <[email-masked]>
>
> This work seems to have substantial overlap with the current work
> of the WHATWG. In particular the work on Web Applications 1.0:
>
>   http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/#communication
>

Yes, it does seem to have similarities.

Anybody here know more about WHATWG?

--
Dean

_______________________________________________
REMOTEUI mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/remoteui

---

From: Dave Raggett <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2005 17:15:11 +0100 (BST)

> Anybody here know more about WHATWG?

The following is based upon reading the whatwg spec at:

The WHAT WG (not part of W3C) propose a means for HTML pages to 
subscribe to events provided by servers. The events are delivered
via long lasting HTTP connections using a non-XML text based format 
defined in pseudo-BNF.

How does this differ from the proposed RemoteUI/WiDeX charter?

The RemoteUI/WiDeX charter envisions protocol support for the UI to 
pass events to a server, and for that server to dynamically update 
the UI.

The WhatWG spec doesn't provide direct support for passing UI events 
to the server, although in principle, one could use a script and the 
XmlHttpRequest mechanism to do so.

The WhatWG spec doesn't provide direct support for the server to 
dynamically update the UI, but in principle, one could subscribe to
an update event stream, and script event handlers that update the UI
via the DOM.

Both of these work arounds would require the UI agent to support 
scripting and lack the simplicity of a declarative approach.

Finally, the WhatWG spec has been designed with a view to extending
HTML. The RemoteUI/WiDeX charter is agnostic with respect to what
markup is used for the UI, and this would enable its use with a
variety of markup languages, e.g. XHTML, SMIL, SVG, ...

- -- 
  Dave Raggett <[email-masked]>  W3C lead for multimodal interaction
  http://www.w3.org/People/Raggett +44 1225 866240 (or 867351)