Subject: [REMOTEUI] RemoteUI/WIDEX updated WG proposal

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 00:21:52 +0300

Hi,

Please find attached the updated WG description proposal incorporating
comments received so far.

Vlad 

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Remote UI/Widget Description Exchange Service (rui/widex)

Chair(s):

Dean Willis <[email-masked]>
Vlad Stirbu <[email-masked]>

Applications Area Director(s):

Ted Hardie <[email-masked]>
Scott Hollenbeck <[email-masked]>

Applications Area Advisor:

Scott Hollenbeck <[email-masked]>

Mailing Lists:

General Discussion: [email-masked]
To Subscribe: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/remoteui
Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/remoteui/index.html
Suplemental Website: http://www.softarmor.com/rui

Description of Working Group:

With the Internet reaching out to more and more devices, people are
increasingly expecting to have access to services at anytime, from
anywhere and using any device. Such services are being developed using
Web technologies such as XML and distributed across the network rather
than resident on any one device.

An example is a service to access flight arrival times, where the user
interface expressed in XHTML is rendered on a client device, the
application logic runs on a remote server and a technique as remote user
interface is used to keep the user interface synchronized with the
application logic. What is currently lacking is a convenient means for
continous fine grained synchronization rather than the one provided by a
request/response protocol (e.g. HTTP) for Web pages, which occurs in
between page loads. This would allow the user interface to reflect
changes in application state and offer greater flexibility for
applications to respond to user input events.

The WiDeX (Widget Description Exchange Service) Working Group seeks to
define a lightweight mechanism used in an IP-based network for
efficiently exchanging XML data describing user interfaces and where
remote user interface synchronization involves XML DOM events and XML
DOM mutation/update operations. In addition, the Working Group will
cover the network-based mechanics of connectivity, reliability, security
that will enable exchanging the specific XML data over the network in an
efficient way.

The Working Group will strive to preserve an extensible architecture so
that the work could possibly be useful in the future with other types of
descriptive user interfaces beyond those specifically considered by the
group.

Specific topics that are NOT goals of this WG are:

*	XML representation of user interface objects.
*	Means to establish sessions and support for device coordination.

The WiDeX service definition will define:

*	A mechanism for synchronizing distributed XML DOM objects by
propagating DOM mutations/updates and DOM events.
*	A set of parameters that need to be negotiated by a service
discovery and session setup mechanism in order to start the UI remoting
session.
*	A framework that enables a mechanism for remoting user
interfaces represented in XML format by using distributed XML DOM
synchronization, and a service discovery and session setup mechanism as
building blocks.

Deliverables:

*	Requirements document covering network and application layer
aspects of the service.
*	Document specifying the framework for remoting user interfaces
represented in XML format.
*	Document specifying the message formats for XML DOM events and
updates using XML in a way that is independent of the transport
protocol.
*	Document(s) specifying normative binding(s) to at least one
transport protocol.

It is possible that work undertaken in other working groups and even
other standards bodies (e.g. W3C) will be referenced by this working
group. It is even possible that entire deliverables could be satisfied
by the work of other working groups (e.g. discovery protocols). This
working group will seek to maximize the use of existing specifications
where applicable.

Goals and Milestones:

Nov. 2005	IETF 64, Charter Working Group
Feb. 2006	Working Group Last Call on Requirements draft
March 2006	IETF 65, Discuss Last Call comments on Requirements
draft
April 2006	Submit Requirements draft to IESG for publication as
Informational RFC
June 2006	Working Group Last Call on Framework, Message Formats
and Transport Bindings drafts
Aug. 2006	IETF 66, Discuss Last Call comments on Framework,
Message Formats and Transport Bindings drafts
Nov. 2006	IETF 67, Submit Framework, Message Formats and Transport
Bindings drafts for publication as Proposed Standard

Internet-Drafts:

LRDP: The Lightweight Remote Display Protocol,
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-stirbu-lrdp-00.txt

No Request For Comments

_______________________________________________
REMOTEUI mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/remoteui

---

From: Dean Willis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 17:54:11 -0500

On Oct 11, 2005, at 4:21 PM, <[email-masked]>  
<[email-masked]> wrote:

> In addition, the Working Group will

I'd suggesting re-phrasing this as follows:

In addition, the working group will document requirements and  
appropriate mechanisms for transporting the XML data describing user  
interface state and events across the Internet. This will require at  
a minimum addressing operational security, authentication, a threat  
model, latency, bandwidth and efficiency assumptions, and reliability.

--
dean