Subject: [Wpack] wpack charter

From: Larry Masinter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2020 11:31:46 -0800

> Actually the list of goals seems to list a quite large variety of
different aspects on various levels of depth. 
> It not clear to me if all this needs to be in the charter. If there is
agreement about what the group wants 
> to do that good of course but (as the one mentioned above) if it's not
clear how a goal would actually impact 
> the technical work/format, it not fully clear to me why it is listed in
the charter.

Perhaps some guidelines on charter-writing would be useful?

The purpose of a charter is to establish scope (as an upper bound) and
success (as a lower bound)., as
well as starting points.

But most of the requirements in charter-ietf-wpack are goals which are not
orthogonal and can be
In conflict. And "Efficient" "agile" "as close as practical" and the like
don't seem to either establish scope or success
criteria, but are  design metrics but will need to be traded off.

I'd suggest taking the "Key goals for WPACK are" and "the following goals
are out of scope"
Putting them in an Internet Draft (or combine them with the use cases
document).

Personally, I don't see the reason not to publish the use cases and goals as
an RFC with an early milestone.
I think you'll get better review to spend the time to do the work to
evaluate the goals across use cases.

The charter mentions several documents that are not listed with URLs

--
LarryMasinter.net

---

From: "Alexey Melnikov" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2020 10:22:08 +0000

Hi Larry,
Thank you for your comments.

> > the technical work/format, it not fully clear to me why it is listed in

Yes. On closer examination it became apparent that some requirements are not really actionable. Hopefully I removed all of them.
> Putting them in an Internet Draft (or combine them with the use cases

I think this is sort of what already happened, but it would be hard to check whether Charter goals are achieved if it just references a document that can mutate over time. The current charter text is by no means perfect, but it is the best attempt to list some specific goals.

> The charter mentions several documents that are not listed with URLs

Other reviewers complained that listing specific drafts presupposes specific outcome, so I took them out!

Best Regards,
Alexey