Subject: Re: [Wpack] Mirja Kühlewind's Block on charter-ietf-wpack-00-14: (with BLOCK and COMMENT

From: Larry Masinter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2020 17:52:43 -0800

The problem WPACK is trying to solve is quite similar to the goals of PDF,
with the additional requirements to capture dynamic context.

The security and privacy context is different for the bundle than it was for
the original content, and what you want is to establish secure provenance.

There have been lots of attempts to define packaging formats before only to
find they are not suitable for some application which has different
requirements.

How will WPACK working group resolve this intractable problem of coming to
rough consensus of who is in and who is out?

Larry

---

From: Jeffrey Yasskin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2020 20:04:22 -0800

Hi Larry,

Don't all working groups have to solve the problem of whose use cases will
be met by the solution? We have a charter that describes an initial set of
use cases, and for questions within that set, it seems like we have decent
mechanisms for discussing whether a proposed use case adds too much
complexity to be worth handling. Not everyone will always agree, as
happened in https://github.com/httpwg/http-extensions/issues/782, but we
can still make progress. The initially proposed format also anticipates
some extensibility, so we can come back and add new use cases after the
initial format is deployed.

If you have a particular application in mind, please let me know.

Jeffrey

On Fri, Feb 28, 2020 at 5:52 PM Larry Masinter <[email-masked]> wrote:

> The security and privacy context is different for the bundle than it was
> for the original content, and what you want is to establish secure
> provenance.
>
>
>
> There have been lots of attempts to define packaging formats before only
> to find they are not suitable for some application which has different
> requirements.
>