Subject: [Wpack] Rewrite of bundles spec

From: Jeffrey Yasskin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2020 11:47:46 -0800

Hi WPACK folks,

I sent a significant update to draft-yasskin-wpack-bundled-exchanges at
https://github.com/WICG/webpackage/pull/604, to make the spec more similar
to other IETF format specifications (and 10 pages shorter). There's a
preview at
https://jyasskin.github.io/webpackage/update-bundle-spec/draft-yasskin-wpack-bundled-exchanges.html
.

Do folks here think the new style is better or worse? Are the minor changes
<https://jyasskin.github.io/webpackage/update-bundle-spec/draft-yasskin-wpack-bundled-exchanges.html#name-change-log>
improvements? Did I miss any accidental changes?

Thanks,
Jeffrey

---

From: "Martin Thomson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2020 14:24:42 +1100

>From a brief skim, this seems a little more accessible.  Is there anything you think that is lost?  Obviously going from 20-odd to 10-odd pages is a pretty big reduction.  Using appendices for algorithms can help when it comes to getting into the details of implementation, particularly if there are tricks or common errors you want to highlight.

On Tue, Nov 10, 2020, at 06:47, Jeffrey Yasskin wrote:
> https://github.com/WICG/webpackage/pull/604, to make the spec more 
> similar to other IETF format specifications (and 10 pages shorter). 
> There's a preview at 
> https://jyasskin.github.io/webpackage/update-bundle-spec/draft-yasskin-wpack-bundled-exchanges.html.
> 
> <https://jyasskin.github.io/webpackage/update-bundle-spec/draft-yasskin-wpack-bundled-exchanges.html#name-change-log> improvements? Did I miss any accidental changes?
> 
> Thanks,
> Jeffrey
> _______________________________________________
> Wpack mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/wpack
>

---

From: Jeffrey Yasskin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2020 10:46:57 -0800

As you noticed, the algorithms are gone, and I'll need to put them
somewhere to match the browser-side style for specifying things. I'm
planning to put them in https://wicg.github.io/webpackage/loading.html,
where the W3C's tools are better for expressing algorithms than xml2rfc v3
is. I could move them to an appendix here instead if people prefer.

I don't know of anything particularly subtle in the algorithms. They help
in making sure that all of the places I MUST the bundle creator are either
enforced by the parser or clearly not-enforced by the parser, and when the
creator breaks two rules, the algorithms help all implementations return
the same error. But since a browser has different possible error reports
than a CDN or an ebook reader, some of that has to go in a spec that's
specific to the kind of consumer anyway.

Jeffrey

On Mon, Nov 9, 2020 at 7:25 PM Martin Thomson <[email-masked]> wrote:

> >From a brief skim, this seems a little more accessible.  Is there
> anything you think that is lost?  Obviously going from 20-odd to 10-odd
> pages is a pretty big reduction.  Using appendices for algorithms can help
> when it comes to getting into the details of implementation, particularly
> if there are tricks or common errors you want to highlight.
>
> > <
> https://jyasskin.github.io/webpackage/update-bundle-spec/draft-yasskin-wpack-bundled-exchanges.html#name-change-log>