Subject: Taxonomy about CDNs

From: LOVRIC Ivan CNET/DMI/CAE <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2000 14:23:02 +0100

Hi Ingrid,

The mailing list is somewhat quiet since january.

For the next IETF, I suggest to add CDN considerations to the taxonomy
draft.

Vendors like Akamai, Adero, Sandpiper use caches and/or mirrors to deliver
content.
At present, it is still difficult to see if CDN vendors use proprietary or
standard protocols. Also, it is not easy to define exactly what are the
boundaries of content delivery.
That is why, IMO, CDNs are in the scope of the WREC WG, and therefore
appropriate taxonomy should be defined.

Do you agree with that proposal ?

---

From: Ian Cooper <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2000 17:12:13 +0000

>appropriate taxonomy should be defined.

Do you mean the taxonomy?  (Or am I just totally brain dead today?)

Section 5 of the taxonomy describes inter-replica communication (I
need to go back and see what wording it uses to check that we're
covered for things like "Master Origin Server"), and 3.1.1 describes
client-replica communication.

While I agree that the discussion of CDNs, and the protocols that are
used to distribute content among replicas, is useful, I'm not sure
that this belongs in the taxonomy itself.