Subject: RE: regarding new working groups

From: "Condry, Michael W" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 07:37:10 -0800

Defining the IETF's role is a tough call. Some folks live with the
Advertising to get service they could not otherwise have...

-----Original Message-----
From: Keith Moore [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, November 09, 2000 6:06 PM
To: Gary Tomlinson
Cc: Keith Moore; Hilarie Orman; [email-masked]; [email-masked];
[email-masked]
Subject: Re: regarding new working groups 

> I think there still exists a need for the content distribution & delivery
> providers to divulge their vested interests as well (paper is fine).
> Traditionally, the CDNs we know today represent the content provider's
> interests, while ISP's are likely to represent the consumer's interests.

I beg to differ; the ISPs generally represent their own interests
when they interfere with the communications between a content 
provider and the content user.  (e.g. by imposing non-voluntary
caches, adding advertising, changing data formats)

IETF should not sanction such practices.  

Keith

---

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 13:25:18 -0500

> Defining the IETF's role is a tough call.

I don't think it's tough at all.  IETF has no power to stop ISPs from
doing abusive things.  But IETF should not offer its support to 
practices that harm the integrity of communications.

Keith