Subject: [XCON] Comments on draft-ietf-sipping-cc-conferencing-01

From: alan.johnston at mci.com (Alan Johnston)
Date: Wed Jul 16 14:10:22 2003

FYI, I have answered Eric's questions (and one from another XCON posting) 
on the SIPPING list as this discussion is out of scope for XCON.

However, sometimes it will be in scope to discuss some XCON-related aspects 
of the High Level SIP Conferencing Requirements and Framework documents and 
that's OK.

It will also be useful from time to time to give SIP/SDP signaling examples 
when discussing XCON protocols for motivation, background, etc.  However, 
the majority of SIP conferencing discussions should be held on the SIPPING 
list.

Thanks,
Alan Johnston
MCI

At 11:09 AM 7/14/2003 -0400, Eric Burger wrote:
>[on XCON list, even though a SIPPING draft]
>
>Section 3.4:
>I'm hesitant to say a conference aware UA SHOULD subscribe to conference 
>state.  That's really an application decision.  One might suggest it, 
>e.g., "the UA can subscribe to the conference state."  A similar sentiment 
>goes for the following paragraph.  Why would or why would not a UA want to 
>display information gleaned from SIP?  In any event, it is not a protocol 
>issue, so it doesn't really merit a MAY (or SHOULD).
>
>
>Section 4.2:
>How else, in the SIP world, would a focus bring a user agent into the 
>conference other than by INVITE?  Maybe the SHOULD here is the inclusion 
>of the ;isfocus parameter.  That said, why is it not MUST?
>
>Section 4.3:
>Having the scars of Early Media from netann, I would suggest not going 
>down the path of IVR interactions before session establishment 
>completes.  There are a lot of ugly corner cases to think of and work 
>around.  I would drop the paragraph.
>
>Section 4.6:
>Same as 4.2, but with REFER.  Is the SHOULD that REFER is preferred to a 
>new INVITE or that ;isfocus SHOULD be in the contact.  If the former, this 
>is the SIPPING work group, the only thing we can spec is SIP stuff, and 
>thus this is redundant.  If it is the latter, then is there a reason 
>including ;isfocus is not mandatory?
>
>
>
>_______________________________________________
>XCON mailing list
>[email-masked]
>http://www.softarmor.com/mailman/listinfo/xcon