Subject: RE: [XCON] Comments on draft-even-xcon-media-policy-requirements- 00

From: "Even, Roni" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 14:05:57 +0200

Eric,
My comments are inline

*************************************
Roni Even
VP Product Planning
Polycom Israel

Tel: +972-3-9251200
Cell: +972-55-481099
email:[email-masked]
*******************************************

-----Original Message-----
From: Eric Burger [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, July 14, 2003 5:10 PM
To: IETF XCON Discussion List (E-mail)
Subject: [XCON] Comments on draft-even-xcon-media-policy-requirements-00

The architecture section (4) states, "The focus uses the media policy to
determine the proper configuration of the mixers."  Does this fall within
the proposed charter?
[RE] this is according to the framework draft. It says that the data is in
the media policy but the protocol between the mixer and the media policy
server is out of scope.

REQ-GP1
What is the use case for endpoints arbitrarily specifying plumbing?
[RE] One example:  In a 5-way conference I may chose to see only the speaker
on the full screen while another participant may wish to see all the other
participants in a 2x2 view.

REQ-GP3
What is the use case here?  Are we really saying that it is has to be
possible to add a leg to the mix?  If so, say so.

[RE] The general section applies both to audio and video. GP-3 means for
audio to change the mix level and for video it means to change the layout
for example from 2x2 to 3x3

REQ-GP8
I don't understand this at all.  Can we restate it?
[RE] The meaning to enable specifying how many different mixes will be in
the conference. Do we have one audio mix and one video mix that all
participants get, does each participant get his own audio mix and all see
the same video.
Maybe you can help me with the text?

REQ-GP9
Is the idea to mix the user's media separately or differently?  For example,
the user's Camera 1 (room) is always shown while Camera 2 (face) is only
shown while speaking?

[RE] The example in the text is widely used today in video conferencing. We
have two video streams, one is showing the room while the other is coming
from a VGA scan converter showing a presentation, we call the room view
"people stream" while the other is "content" stream. The content stream is a
presentation and is sent to all participants and a token may be used to
authorize presentation. In this example the presentation is displayed to all
but the people view may change for example showing the presenter at one time
and a person asking a question afterwards. So one stream is managed by a
token while the other may be voice activated.
Another example is the one you mentioned where we have two views coming from
the same place and we send them to the other side as two streams. the
receiving EP may wish to show one of them but there should be a hint to help
it know which stream is the main video stream.

6.2
Is "overlapping windows" a client display issue or a mixing issue, or are
there independent windows?
[RE] this is a mixing issue, the mixer send a composed stream. So we want to
enable overlay. for example we have a 2x2 display but in the middle we have
the speaker in an overlay window that hides part of the 2x2 lower layout.

REQ-V1
What is the value to a *protocol* to talk about layout?
[RE]  If I understand the question then if we agree that a participant can
define what video composed mix he want to receive and who will be in each
mix then the media policy control protocol should enable an application on
the user side to specify the layout

REQ-V2
Isn't this the definition of a video conferencing application?  Who will
issue the media policy requests to change things?
[RE] The requirement is to able to specify well known mixing scenarios so
that you will not need to do complex graphs management for typical video
conferencing applications. I think this is in line with the worries about
the complexity of the suggested protocol.

REQ-V3
Is this for the whole conference or an individual user?
[RE] It is for both conference level and participant level but he support of
per conference or per participant depends on application, authorization and
the number of different video mixes that the managed conference can support.

REQ-V4
Is this for the whole conference or an individual user?

[RE] Same as REQ-V3

_______________________________________________
XCON mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.softarmor.com/mailman/listinfo/xcon

_______________________________________________
XCON mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/xcon