Subject: RE: [XCON] Comments on draft-evan-xcon-conference-scenarios-00

From: "Even, Roni" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 13:27:48 +0200

Eric,
Sorry for the late response.
My comments are in line

*************************************
Roni Even
VP Product Planning
Polycom Israel

Tel: +972-3-9251200
Cell: +972-55-481099
email:[email-masked]
*******************************************

-----Original Message-----
From: Eric Burger [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, July 14, 2003 5:10 PM
To: IETF XCON Discussion List (E-mail)
Subject: [XCON] Comments on draft-evan-xcon-conference-scenarios-00

2. Conference Scenarios
What is meant by the UA providing DTMF tones.  Does this mean "provide DTMF
tones", e.g., generate in-band tone?  What about compressed codecs?  Does
this mean "RFC2833"?  If so, the data is going to the wrong place.  Does
this mean "KPML"?  If so, it is bending the use of KPML into the IVR realm,
which KPML is explicitly not suited for.

[RE] The expectation is that the UA will be able to provide DTMF. This cab
be either by actual tones or using RFC2833. Since we are addressing
centralized conferences the media channel that carries the tones or payload
will get to the mixer who will pass it to the focus to handle it. Since this
is the simple UA then he is not expected to support other methods for
signaling DTMF. I think that the major thing here is that SIP endpoint will
enable sending DTMF (some do not capture the key press at all during the
call)

2.1 Ad-hoc conference
What is a "number" in SIP?  This paragraph refers to calling and called
number.  Do you mean Request-URI and a From or Contact URI?
[RE] Thanks, I will change my text

3.5 Advanced conference features
Is it likely that participants will be manipulating the mix directly?  See
my rant on who might do what with whom.
[RE] - I will expect that a user that has the right authorization will be
able to manipulate the mix. This can be to force a specific view, to change
the layout. Current conferencing bridges allow that using a web based
application or by using a "stimulus" application. The work on media policy
control will enable such application. The complexity of the protocol is not
relevant since a good user interface will make it simple to use.

4.1 Video mixing scenarios
Are there any protocol issues here?  By definition, an application creates
the web page and it deals with the POST.  Who needs a protocol?  Certainly
not the user agent.
[RE] The media policy control protocol is being defined to enable control of
video mix regardless of the conference bridge manufacturer. The user will
control the mix either by a web based application or an end point
manufacturer will decide to support the protocol directly from the end
point. I think my text has both options.

4.3 Conference Sidebar scenario
Will the user really set the main mix gain?  Will they specify it in dB,
1-10, 1-100?  What about AGC?

[RE] This is a good question, I am not sure either but that was an input I
got from a group member (I think Brian Rosen)

Isn't the behavior of moving someone into the sidebar application-specific?
It should be.  Some just dump people in, others announce them to the
sidebar, others do a tone.  I don't think we should be standardizing (or
creating protocols that enable) only one way of doing it.

By the way, specifying all of the options presented in this scenario
virtually requires at least a 2D GUI.  See 4.1.
[RE] The purpose of the draft is to describe typical application scenarios.
We then must see if we can achieve those scenarios using the designed
architecture and protocols. The user interface and the capabilities of a
specific implementation is up to the developer. We intend to see that
application developer can develop such applications not by proprietary APIs.

4.5 Presentation and QA session
The scenario states the panel members are identified.  Note that often, all
listeners are identified to the panel members but not to each other, until
(optionally) they get the floor ("now speaking...").
[RE] This is an application issue , the protocol should enable it. The
application can learn who is in the conference using the conference package.
The rest is up to what scenario the application developer will want to
expose to the user.

_______________________________________________
XCON mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.softarmor.com/mailman/listinfo/xcon

_______________________________________________
XCON mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/xcon