Subject: [XCON] Comments on Media Policy Templates

From: "Morgan, Dave" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 12:55:45 -0400

Chris and Umesh, 

I have some comments/questions regarding
draft-boulton-xcon-media-template-01.  

I see that the draft is currently under major revision, and that we
should be thinking about the client controls, but first I think we need
to do two things, so let me put this to the list for discussion.  The
first is to specify a common (grand unified) conference object data
model that all the protocols can operate on.  What we are doing in XCON
is specifying the necessary XML definitions piecemeal with each draft.
I think we should pull together the existing pieces into one data model
and let the authors of the protocols use that model and request it to be
extended as necessary.  Once the data model and protocols are specified,
then I think the client capabilities can be finalized.  To me the client
capabilities are like the capstone in the XCon WG, it should be the last
thing to be finalized.   I'm interested in other people's thoughts.  

3.1.1, Description:  In this section you say that in order for the
participant to talk they need to get the floor.  I think we need a
requirement that covers the case where the floor is "open."  That is how
most conferences are today.  Perhaps a moderator would start with an
open floor and then turn on floor control when the participants get
unruly. How many times have I wanted to do that?  

3.1.2, Roles: I'm hung up on Roles, I think we need to agree on at least
4, 5, may 6 roles and make sure they are defined consistently throughout
our documents.  They are: participant, moderator, observer, presenter,
and possibly creator and administrator.  An observer could be a person
(supervisor) or a machine (call logger or recording device).  This is a
"must have" role.  We've bantered around "presenter" before.  This is
the person that has been granted the floor.  I think we need a
conference creator role.  The creator may not be the moderator.  They
may be the secretary that sets up the meeting.  The "creator" would only
have access to the meeting they create.  The administrator would have
access to all the meetings.  The administrator is the person at the help
desk who manages the service.  

3.1.3, Parameters: I don't like specifying a max value at all, never
mind 128.  That should be defined in the parent and inherited by the
children.   

3.2.4.4.MuteOutputAudio:  I'd like to see a requirement or something in
the conference policy where if there is an observer, such as a call
recording device, where no one can mute its AudioOutput.  To take this a
step further, the conference policy should allow for recording to be:
1.	not allowed,
2.	mandatory, or
3.	the moderator can turn it on and off.

3.5, Basic Test Template: Needs to be cleaned up, there are a number of
cut and paste errors.

3.5.4.1 Should be titled "block-incoming-text"

3.5.5.1.1.1 Needs a better name, such as "Right to inject Text"

I have a couple of suggestions for advanced video controls that I
haven't seen discussed before.  One would allow the participant to
decide where he wants to view the other participants on their panel.  So
if there's 20 participants, I want to be able to see just four of them,
the moderator, the presenter, perhaps another key participant, and my
boss.  

Another advanced video control would be to be able to see who is viewing
me.  So in the situation above I know who is watching me and when I need
to put on my "happy face."

I have a comment on the structure of the document.  You list basic
templates with their associated functionality and then advanced
templates.  The advanced features come across as "you must have these
features in their entirety" to be advanced.  I'm more inclined to list
"minimum" features (you must have these), and optional features, where
any one or combination of the features may or may not be employed by the
media server.

Nits:
3.1.7 "The schema in currently" should read "is currently"
3.3.4.3 "StopoutputText" should be "StopoutputVideo"

Dave

------------------------------------------------------------------------
David P. Morgan, PhD
VP, Architecture & Planning
Fidelity Investments Systems Company - Telecom
Phone:  617 563-2178
Fax:      617 385 2122
Mailing: 82 Devonshire St, MZ V8C
            Boston, MA 02109-3614
Office:   245 Summer Street, 8th Floor

_______________________________________________
XCON mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/xcon