Subject: RE: [XCON] Moving users between conferences

From: "Geir Arne Sandbakken" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 20:21:32 +0200

Use case 1 has a generic waiting room URI, where someone helps you into
the right conference at the right time.  Like many "in person" waiting
rooms.  If SIP was the call protocol, I would probably refresh the
dialog.

If you are just waiting for the conference moderator to arrive before
the conference can start, you may not even need a sidebar.  The media
mixer could just show everybody audio, video or text explaining why you
wait.  More like a mixer state.

Use case 2 can be solved by a sidebar as long as the sidebar is not
limited by the original conference objects properties. The limitations
of the original conference object may be the cause of the user's
problems in the first place.

Geir Arne

________________________________

From: Brian Rosen [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: 27. mars 2006 18:24
To: 'Sean Olson'; 'Even, Roni'; Geir Arne Sandbakken; 'XCON-IETF'
Subject: RE: [XCON] Moving users between conferences

I'm with you that the first two are probably sidebars, although the
waiting room may not be; depends on exactly what the wait room is.  If
you get to it with a generic wait room URI, then you select a conference
(somehow) and then you are placed in the conference, then it's
move-between-conferences.  If you get to it with the real conference
URI, but you are "seated" in the wait room for some reason, then it's a
sidebar.

I am also a bit skeptical of move-between-conferences.  Is this not a
"Refer/Replaces" operation; changing the URI of the conference?  If it's
not, then you have the weird situation where the call state is to one
conference, with a URI, but you are actually in another conference, with
a different URI.  If, for some reason, the UAC decided it needed to
create a new dialog, it's not with the same URI as the original.  That
sounds pretty weird to me.

Brian

________________________________

From: Sean Olson [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, March 27, 2006 11:10 AM
To: Even, Roni; Geir Arne Sandbakken; XCON-IETF
Subject: RE: [XCON] Moving users between conferences

I would not implement the first as a separate conference, but that is
something that we could discuss more when we define the sidebar
operations. I can see the value of defining a move user between
conferences operation, though I'm a bit skeptical of the architecture to
enable such an operation. I guess I'd like to see a high level call flow
for how this would work.

________________________________

From: Even, Roni [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, March 27, 2006 7:24 AM
To: Sean Olson; Geir Arne Sandbakken; XCON-IETF
Subject: RE: [XCON] Moving users between conferences

Sean,

Sidebar is a child of a conference which is not the case here. For the
first case there is no conference yet. I agree that the second can be
based on sidebar.

I think that I agree with Geir that there is a need to move participants
between conferences and not only from a conference to side bar and back

Roni

________________________________

From: Sean Olson [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, March 27, 2006 5:17 PM
To: Geir Arne Sandbakken; XCON-IETF
Subject: RE: [XCON] Moving users between conferences

I don't see why those two use cases could not be handled by a sidebar.

________________________________

From: Geir Arne Sandbakken [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, March 27, 2006 4:30 AM
To: XCON-IETF
Subject: [XCON] Moving users between conferences

Moving users between sidebars has been proposed, but it would be nice to
extend this for moving users between conferences as well.  Having a
"move" verb would be preferable, as a "delete user" followed by "add
user" can have the side effect of disconnecting the user from the
conference.

Two use cases:

1. Waiting room:  You call a waiting room where someone controls when
you can join a specific conference.  

2. Help service:  An administrator can move a user to another conference
to help out with typical media problems, debugging or other issues.
Then move the user back when it has been resolved.

Geir Arne

_______________________________________________
XCON mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/xcon

---

From: "Chris Boulton" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 11:19:47 +0100

Are we maybe delving a little too deeply into implementation specific
operations?  This just seems to me to be managing varying
conference/sidebar instances + as Brian has already pointed out -
managing the SIP dialogs using the appropriate SIP signaling.  I always
imagined that the protocol would reside at the Conference instance level
- anything higher seems to be out of scope (unless I have
miss-understood requirements).

Chris.

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian Rosen [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: 27 March 2006 17:24
To: 'Sean Olson'; 'Even, Roni'; 'Geir Arne Sandbakken'; 'XCON-IETF'
Subject: RE: [XCON] Moving users between conferences

Brian

  _____  

  _____  

Sean,

Roni

  _____  

  _____  

Two use cases:

Geir Arne

Information contained in this e-mail and any attachments are intended for the use of the addressee only, and may contain confidential information of Ubiquity Software Corporation.  All unauthorized use, disclosure or distribution is strictly prohibited.  If you are not the addressee, please notify the sender immediately and destroy all copies of this email.  Unless otherwise expressly agreed in writing signed by an officer of Ubiquity Software Corporation, nothing in this communication shall be deemed to be legally binding.  Thank you.