Subject: [XCON] Moving users between conferences

From: "Geir Arne Sandbakken" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 14:29:38 +0200

Moving users between sidebars has been proposed, but it would be nice to
extend this for moving users between conferences as well.  Having a
"move" verb would be preferable, as a "delete user" followed by "add
user" can have the side effect of disconnecting the user from the
conference.

Two use cases:

1. Waiting room:  You call a waiting room where someone controls when
you can join a specific conference.  

2. Help service:  An administrator can move a user to another conference
to help out with typical media problems, debugging or other issues.
Then move the user back when it has been resolved.

Geir Arne

_______________________________________________
XCON mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/xcon

---

From: "Sean Olson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 07:17:06 -0800

I don't see why those two use cases could not be handled by a sidebar.

________________________________

From: Geir Arne Sandbakken [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, March 27, 2006 4:30 AM
To: XCON-IETF
Subject: [XCON] Moving users between conferences

Two use cases:

Geir Arne

---

From: Hisham Khartabil <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 16:24:25 +0200

Which is the sidebar and which is the main conference? Is the waiting 
room the main conference and the rest are sidebars? I don't think so. 
This to me looks like separate conferences where the user is 
referred/transferred to another conference by an administrator (or key 
participant or whatever the terminology is today :) )

Hisham

On Mar 27, 2006, at 5:17 PM, Sean Olson wrote:

> Moving users between sidebars has been proposed, but it would be nice 
> to extend this for moving users between conferences as well.  Having a 
> “move” verb would be preferable, as a “delete user” followed by “add 
> user” can have the side effect of disconnecting the user from the 
> conference.
>  
> Two use cases:
> 2. Help service:  An administrator can move a user to another 
> conference to help out with typical media problems, debugging or other 
> issues.  Then move the user back when it has been resolved.
>  
> Geir Arne_______________________________________________
> XCON mailing list
> [email-masked]

---

From: "Brian Rosen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 12:50:48 -0500

If you send an Invite to the main conference and everyone is kept in the
waiting room, then it is the main conference, and you don't need any
sidebar, and you don't need any "Move" operation.  If only some people are
waiting (say, for authorization), then the waiting room is a sidebar of the
main conference.

If you Invite to a waiting room, and then have to move to a conference, as I
said in a previous message, I think you need a REFER/Replaces to the actual
conference or things get too complicated to keep straight.

Brian

-----Original Message-----
From: Hisham Khartabil [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, March 28, 2006 9:24 AM
To: Sean Olson
Cc: XCON-IETF
Subject: Re: [XCON] Moving users between conferences

Hisham

---

From: "Sean Olson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 09:09:01 -0800

The waiting room would obviously be a sidebar of the main conference. This has benefits from the point of view of resource management, permissions, isolation, etc.  

-----Original Message-----
From: Hisham Khartabil [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, March 28, 2006 6:24 AM
To: Sean Olson
Cc: XCON-IETF; Geir Arne Sandbakken
Subject: Re: [XCON] Moving users between conferences

Which is the sidebar and which is the main conference? Is the waiting room the main conference and the rest are sidebars? I don't think so. 
This to me looks like separate conferences where the user is referred/transferred to another conference by an administrator (or key participant or whatever the terminology is today :) )

Hisham

---

From: Hisham Khartabil <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 09:53:09 +0200

The waiting room is a sidebar of multiple conferences? Now I'm confused 
how that would work :)

Hisham

On Mar 28, 2006, at 7:09 PM, Sean Olson wrote:

> The waiting room would obviously be a sidebar of the main conference. 
> This has benefits from the point of view of resource management, 
> permissions, isolation, etc.
>