Subject: RE: [XCON] Moving users between conferences

From: "Even, Roni" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 17:23:36 +0200

Sean,

Sidebar is a child of a conference which is not the case here. For the
first case there is no conference yet. I agree that the second can be
based on sidebar.

I think that I agree with Geir that there is a need to move participants
between conferences and not only from a conference to side bar and back

Roni

________________________________

From: Sean Olson [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, March 27, 2006 5:17 PM
To: Geir Arne Sandbakken; XCON-IETF
Subject: RE: [XCON] Moving users between conferences

I don't see why those two use cases could not be handled by a sidebar.

________________________________

From: Geir Arne Sandbakken [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, March 27, 2006 4:30 AM
To: XCON-IETF
Subject: [XCON] Moving users between conferences

Moving users between sidebars has been proposed, but it would be nice to
extend this for moving users between conferences as well.  Having a
"move" verb would be preferable, as a "delete user" followed by "add
user" can have the side effect of disconnecting the user from the
conference.

Two use cases:

1. Waiting room:  You call a waiting room where someone controls when
you can join a specific conference.  

2. Help service:  An administrator can move a user to another conference
to help out with typical media problems, debugging or other issues.
Then move the user back when it has been resolved.

Geir Arne

_______________________________________________
XCON mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/xcon

---

From: "Sean Olson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 08:09:56 -0800

I would not implement the first as a separate conference, but that is
something that we could discuss more when we define the sidebar
operations. I can see the value of defining a move user between
conferences operation, though I'm a bit skeptical of the architecture to
enable such an operation. I guess I'd like to see a high level call flow
for how this would work.

From: Even, Roni [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, March 27, 2006 7:24 AM
To: Sean Olson; Geir Arne Sandbakken; XCON-IETF
Subject: RE: [XCON] Moving users between conferences

Sean,

Roni

Two use cases:

Geir Arne

---

From: "Brian Rosen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 11:24:29 -0500

I'm with you that the first two are probably sidebars, although the waiting
room may not be; depends on exactly what the wait room is.  If you get to it
with a generic wait room URI, then you select a conference (somehow) and
then you are placed in the conference, then it's move-between-conferences.
If you get to it with the real conference URI, but you are "seated" in the
wait room for some reason, then it's a sidebar.

I am also a bit skeptical of move-between-conferences.  Is this not a
"Refer/Replaces" operation; changing the URI of the conference?  If it's
not, then you have the weird situation where the call state is to one
conference, with a URI, but you are actually in another conference, with a
different URI.  If, for some reason, the UAC decided it needed to create a
new dialog, it's not with the same URI as the original.  That sounds pretty
weird to me.

Brian

  _____  

From: Sean Olson [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, March 27, 2006 11:10 AM
To: Even, Roni; Geir Arne Sandbakken; XCON-IETF
Subject: RE: [XCON] Moving users between conferences

I would not implement the first as a separate conference, but that is
something that we could discuss more when we define the sidebar operations.
I can see the value of defining a move user between conferences operation,
though I'm a bit skeptical of the architecture to enable such an operation.
I guess I'd like to see a high level call flow for how this would work.

  _____  

Sean,

Sidebar is a child of a conference which is not the case here. For the first
case there is no conference yet. I agree that the second can be based on
sidebar.

Roni

  _____  

  _____  

Moving users between sidebars has been proposed, but it would be nice to
extend this for moving users between conferences as well.  Having a "move"
verb would be preferable, as a "delete user" followed by "add user" can have
the side effect of disconnecting the user from the conference.

Two use cases:

1. Waiting room:  You call a waiting room where someone controls when you
can join a specific conference.  

2. Help service:  An administrator can move a user to another conference to
help out with typical media problems, debugging or other issues.  Then move
the user back when it has been resolved.

Geir Arne