Subject: [xmpp] #76: hostname mismatch during DNS SRV lookup

From: "xmpp issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 02:50:30 -0000

#76: hostname mismatch during DNS SRV lookup
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  stpeter@…           |       Owner:  stpeter@…         
     Type:  defect              |      Status:  new               
 Priority:  major               |   Milestone:                    
Component:  3920bis             |     Version:                    
 Severity:  In WG Last Call     |    Keywords:                    
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Section 13.9.2 (Use of DNS) states:

 > In the absence of a secure DNS option (e.g., as provided
 > by [DNSSEC]), the initiating entity MUST check that the
 > target domain name returned in a DNS SRV record matches
 > the original service domain that was queried.  If the
 > target domain name (e.g., "connect.example.net") is not
 > in the queried domain (e.g., "example.com"), the connecting
 > application MUST warn a human user (if any) about the
 > mismatch and require the user to approve the connection
 > before the client proceeds; however, the client MAY also
 > allow the user to add the presented hostname to a configured
 > set of accepted hostnames to expedite future connections.

 Kevin Smith commented: "If the host is able to present a valid cert chain
 for the original target domain name, this seems redundant (and actively
 harmful to hosted solutions)."

 Matthew Wild replied: "It isn't entirely clear to me how this text relates
 to servers. Are they exempt because they don't necessarily have a human
 user?"

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/xmpp/trac/ticket/76>
xmpp <http://tools.ietf.org/xmpp/>

---

From: "xmpp issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2010 22:08:25 -0000

#76: hostname mismatch during DNS SRV lookup
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  stpeter@…           |        Owner:  stpeter@…         
     Type:  defect              |       Status:  closed            
 Priority:  major               |    Milestone:                    
Component:  3920bis             |      Version:                    
 Severity:  In WG Last Call     |   Resolution:  fixed             
 Keywords:                      |  
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
Changes (by stpeter@…):

  * status:  new => closed
  * resolution:  => fixed

Comment:

 Text deleted per list discussion, except for related text in security
 considerations.

-- 
Ticket URL: <https://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/xmpp/trac/ticket/76#comment:1>
xmpp <http://tools.ietf.org/xmpp/>