Subject: [xmpp] #26: applicability of xml:lang to s2s streams

From: "xmpp issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 21:05:35 -0000

#26: applicability of xml:lang to s2s streams
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  stpeter@…           |       Owner:  stpeter@…         
     Type:  defect              |      Status:  new               
 Priority:  minor               |   Milestone:                    
Component:  3920bis             |     Version:                    
 Severity:  In WG Last Call     |    Keywords:                    
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Regarding Section 4.4.4 (xml:lang), Dave Cridland commented: "much of this
 appears to apply (and make sense in the context of) C2S rather than S2S."

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/xmpp/trac/ticket/26>
xmpp <http://tools.ietf.org/xmpp/>

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 21:32:02 -0600

> #26: applicability of xml:lang to s2s streams

The first sentence of Section 4.4.4 reads:

   The 'xml:lang' attribute communicates an entity's preferred or
   default language for any human-readable XML character data to be sent
   over the stream.

This is familiar from RFC 2277: "internationalization is for humans".

Why assume that internationalization does not apply to an s2s stream
(e.g., to provide error text in a natural language understood by the
administrators of the peer server)?

And why assume that internationalization always applies to a c2s stream
(e.g., if the client is some automated process)?

Seeing no actionable bug report here, I shall mark this issue as "invalid".

Peter

-- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/

---

From: "xmpp issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 03:32:28 -0000

#26: applicability of xml:lang to s2s streams
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  stpeter@…           |        Owner:  stpeter@…         
     Type:  defect              |       Status:  closed            
 Priority:  minor               |    Milestone:                    
Component:  3920bis             |      Version:                    
 Severity:  In WG Last Call     |   Resolution:  invalid           
 Keywords:                      |  
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
Changes (by stpeter@…):

  * status:  new => closed
  * resolution:  => invalid

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/xmpp/trac/ticket/26#comment:1>
xmpp <http://tools.ietf.org/xmpp/>

---

From: Dave Cridland <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 11:16:42 +0100

> > #26: applicability of xml:lang to s2s streams

Ah, further reading suggests that the cases I was concerned about are  
all covered in §8.1.5 - perhaps a forward pointer to this would be  
useful?

Dave.

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 15:28:06 -0600

On 6/25/10 4:16 AM, Dave Cridland wrote:
> all covered in §8.1.5 - perhaps a forward pointer to this would be useful?

Done.

Peter

-- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/