Subject: [xmpp] #61: handling of IQ stanza with no 'id' attribute

From: "xmpp issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 01:52:54 -0000

#61: handling of IQ stanza with no 'id' attribute
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  stpeter@…           |       Owner:  stpeter@…         
     Type:  defect              |      Status:  new               
 Priority:  minor               |   Milestone:                    
Component:  3920bis             |     Version:                    
 Severity:  In WG Last Call     |    Keywords:                    
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Section 8.2.3 (IQ Semantics) states:

 > 1.  The 'id' attribute is REQUIRED for IQ stanzas.

 Waqas Hussain commented: "The proper response for an IQ with a missing
 'id' attribute isn't defined. In Prosody we assume it's the empty string
 for compatibility with some clients."

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/xmpp/trac/ticket/61>
xmpp <http://tools.ietf.org/xmpp/>

---

From: "xmpp issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 04:37:27 -0000

#61: handling of IQ stanza with no 'id' attribute
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  stpeter@…           |        Owner:  stpeter@…         
     Type:  defect              |       Status:  closed            
 Priority:  minor               |    Milestone:                    
Component:  3920bis             |      Version:                    
 Severity:  In WG Last Call     |   Resolution:  fixed             
 Keywords:                      |  
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
Changes (by stpeter@…):

  * status:  new => closed
  * resolution:  => fixed

Comment:

 Provisionally resolved with this text (Section 8.2.3):

    3.  An entity that receives an IQ request of type "get" or "set" MUST
        reply with an IQ response of type "result" or "error".  The
        response MUST preserve the 'id' attribute of the request (or be
        empty if the generated stanza did not include an 'id' attribute).

 and (Section 8.3.1):

    2.  If the generated stanza was <message/> or <presence/> and
        included an 'id' attribute then it is REQUIRED for the error
        stanza to also include an 'id' attribute.  If the generated
        stanza was <iq/> then the error stanza MUST include an 'id'
        attribute.  In all cases, the value of the 'id' attribute MUST
        match that of the generated stanza (or be empty if the generated
        stanza did not include an 'id' attribute).

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/xmpp/trac/ticket/61#comment:1>
xmpp <http://tools.ietf.org/xmpp/>