Subject: [xmpp] #71: prohibition on CDATA sections in XML

From: "xmpp issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 02:20:29 -0000

#71: prohibition on CDATA sections in XML
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  stpeter@…           |       Owner:  stpeter@…         
     Type:  defect              |      Status:  new               
 Priority:  major               |   Milestone:                    
Component:  3920bis             |     Version:                    
 Severity:  In WG Last Call     |    Keywords:                    
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Regarding XML usage, Matthew Wild commented: "The specification no longer
 explicitly allows or forbids CDATA, should it?"

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/xmpp/trac/ticket/71>
xmpp <http://tools.ietf.org/xmpp/>

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 16:12:12 -0600

> #71: prohibition on CDATA sections in XML

We had a long discussion about this over a year ago (sorry, I can't
quickly find the mailing list thread) and there was consensus at that
time to no longer forbid CDATA sections (thus implicitly allowing them).
I know that CDATA sections are supported in the ejabberd server, and
perhaps in others:

https://support.process-one.net/browse/EJAB-298

Given that this came up in the context of Section 11.1 on XML
restrictions, I think we concluded that anything not explicitly
restricted is allowed in accordance with the XML specification.

Peter

-- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/

---

From: "xmpp issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 22:13:10 -0000

#71: prohibition on CDATA sections in XML
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  stpeter@…           |        Owner:  stpeter@…         
     Type:  defect              |       Status:  closed            
 Priority:  major               |    Milestone:                    
Component:  3920bis             |      Version:                    
 Severity:  In WG Last Call     |   Resolution:  wontfix           
 Keywords:                      |  
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
Changes (by stpeter@…):

  * status:  new => closed
  * resolution:  => wontfix

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/xmpp/trac/ticket/71#comment:1>
xmpp <http://tools.ietf.org/xmpp/>