Subject: [xmpp] #9: provide guidelines for time of first reconnection

From: "xmpp issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 16:24:56 -0000

#9: provide guidelines for time of first reconnection
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  stpeter@…           |       Owner:  stpeter@…         
     Type:  defect              |      Status:  new               
 Priority:  minor               |   Milestone:                    
Component:  3920bis             |     Version:                    
 Severity:  In WG Last Call     |    Keywords:                    
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Reported by Ben Campbell:

 There are no guidelines for the time of first reconnection in Section 3.4
 (Reconnection):

 > The time that expires before an entity first seeks
 > to reconnect MUST be randomized.

 "Can we offer guidance on a reasonable range of randomness?"

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://tools.ietf.org/wg/xmpp/trac/ticket/9>
xmpp <http://tools.ietf.org/xmpp/>

---

From: "xmpp issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 01:21:24 -0000

#9: provide guidelines for time of first reconnection
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  stpeter@…           |        Owner:  stpeter@…         
     Type:  defect              |       Status:  closed            
 Priority:  minor               |    Milestone:                    
Component:  3920bis             |      Version:                    
 Severity:  In WG Last Call     |   Resolution:  fixed             
 Keywords:                      |  
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
Changes (by stpeter@…):

  * status:  new => closed
  * resolution:  => fixed

Comment:

 Provisionally resolved with this text:

    The number of seconds that expire before an entity first seeks to
    reconnect SHOULD be an unpredictable number between 0 and 60 (e.g.,
    so that all clients do not attempt to reconnect exactly 30 seconds
    after being disconnected).

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/xmpp/trac/ticket/9#comment:1>
xmpp <http://tools.ietf.org/xmpp/>