Subject: [xmpp] #31: sending close </stream> tag after stream error

From: "xmpp issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 21:28:57 -0000

#31: sending close </stream> tag after stream error
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  stpeter@…           |       Owner:  stpeter@…         
     Type:  defect              |      Status:  new               
 Priority:  minor               |   Milestone:                    
Component:  3920bis             |     Version:                    
 Severity:  In WG Last Call     |    Keywords:                    
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Section 4.6.1.1 states:

 > Stream-level errors are unrecoverable. Therefore, if an error
 > occurs at the level of the stream, the entity that detects the
 > error MUST send an <error/> element with an appropriate child
 > element that specifies the error condition and at the same time
 > send a closing </stream>  tag.

 Dave Cridland commented: "I don't think there's any pressing reason why
 the closing tag needs to be sent at the same time - 'immediately close the
 stream' is what I think you mean here."

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://tools.ietf.org/wg/xmpp/trac/ticket/31>
xmpp <http://tools.ietf.org/xmpp/>

---

From: "xmpp issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2010 22:30:42 -0000

#31: sending close </stream> tag after stream error
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  stpeter@…           |        Owner:  stpeter@…         
     Type:  defect              |       Status:  closed            
 Priority:  minor               |    Milestone:                    
Component:  3920bis             |      Version:                    
 Severity:  In WG Last Call     |   Resolution:  fixed             
 Keywords:                      |  
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
Changes (by stpeter@…):

  * status:  new => closed
  * resolution:  => fixed

Comment:

 Fixed with this text:

    Stream-level errors are unrecoverable.  Therefore, if an error occurs
    at the level of the stream, the entity that detects the error MUST
    send an <error/> element with an appropriate child element that
    specifies the error condition and immediately close the stream as
    described under Section 4.3.

-- 
Ticket URL: <https://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/xmpp/trac/ticket/31#comment:1>
xmpp <http://tools.ietf.org/xmpp/>