Subject: [xmpp] #40: mandatory to support TLS server_name extension

From: "xmpp issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 00:16:38 -0000

#40: mandatory to support TLS server_name extension
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  stpeter@…           |       Owner:  stpeter@…         
     Type:  defect              |      Status:  new               
 Priority:  major               |   Milestone:                    
Component:  3920bis             |     Version:                    
 Severity:  In WG Last Call     |    Keywords:                    
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Section 5.2.6 (TLS Extensions) states:

 > Because XMPP services are often provided in so-called virtual
 > hosting deployments, it is RECOMMENDED for the initiating entity
 > to include an extension of type "server_name" as defined in
 > [TLS-EXT].  If an XMPP service hosts multiple domains on the same
 > IP address, it MUST enable support for the "server_name" extension.

 Matthew Wild commented: "Says that servers MUST support the server_name
 extension, however it doesn't give much information on how it would be
 used. It seems only useful in the context of 5223, which has never been
 standardized. Perhaps drop this requirement? Or at least reduce it to
 MAY."

 Dave Cridland commented: "Mandating server_name? This seems
 unsatisfactory, not least because XMPP has its own perfectly sound method
 for selecting server name which works perfectly well."

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/xmpp/trac/ticket/40>
xmpp <http://tools.ietf.org/xmpp/>

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 22:15:12 -0600

> #40: mandatory to support TLS server_name extension

I think you guys are right about this. I've removed mention of the
server_name extension from my working copy and will consider this issue
closed.

Peter

-- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/

---

From: "xmpp issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 04:16:09 -0000

#40: mandatory to support TLS server_name extension
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  stpeter@…           |        Owner:  stpeter@…         
     Type:  defect              |       Status:  closed            
 Priority:  major               |    Milestone:                    
Component:  3920bis             |      Version:                    
 Severity:  In WG Last Call     |   Resolution:  fixed             
 Keywords:                      |  
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
Changes (by stpeter@…):

  * status:  new => closed
  * resolution:  => fixed

Comment:

 Fixed by removing all mentions of the server_name extension.

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/xmpp/trac/ticket/40#comment:1>
xmpp <http://tools.ietf.org/xmpp/>