Subject: [xmpp] #13: all mandatory-to-negotiate stream features should use the <required/> element

From: "xmpp issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 17:50:19 -0000

#13: all mandatory-to-negotiate stream features should use the <required/>
element
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  stpeter@…           |       Owner:  stpeter@…         
     Type:  defect              |      Status:  new               
 Priority:  minor               |   Milestone:                    
Component:  3920bis             |     Version:                    
 Severity:  In WG Last Call     |    Keywords:                    
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Regarding Section 4.2.2 (Stream Features Format), Waqas Hussain commented
 as follows:

 "It would be useful to make <required/> a MUST for MTN features."

 (Where "MTN" stands for "mandatory-to-negotiate".)

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://tools.ietf.org/wg/xmpp/trac/ticket/13>
xmpp <http://tools.ietf.org/xmpp/>

---

From: "xmpp issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 02:18:23 -0000

#13: all mandatory-to-negotiate stream features should use the <required/>
element
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  stpeter@…           |        Owner:  stpeter@…         
     Type:  defect              |       Status:  closed            
 Priority:  minor               |    Milestone:                    
Component:  3920bis             |      Version:                    
 Severity:  In WG Last Call     |   Resolution:  fixed             
 Keywords:                      |  
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
Changes (by stpeter@…):

  * status:  new => closed
  * resolution:  => fixed

Comment:

 Provisionally resolved with this text:

    If a particular stream feature is or can be mandatory-to-negotiate,
    the definition of that feature needs to do one of the following:

    1.  Declare that the feature is always mandatory-to-negotiate (e.g.,
        this is true of resource binding for XMPP clients); or

    2.  Specify a way for the receiving entity to flag the feature as
        mandatory-to-negotiate for this interaction (e.g., this is done
        for TLS by including an empty <required/> element in the
        advertisement for that stream feature); it is RECOMMENDED for
        stream feature definitions to mandatory-to-negotiate features by
        including an empty <required/> element as is done for TLS.

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/xmpp/trac/ticket/13#comment:1>
xmpp <http://tools.ietf.org/xmpp/>