Subject: [xmpp] #15: inconsistent text about stream restarts

From: "xmpp issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 17:54:57 -0000

#15: inconsistent text about stream restarts
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  stpeter@…           |       Owner:  stpeter@…         
     Type:  defect              |      Status:  new               
 Priority:  minor               |   Milestone:                    
Component:  3920bis             |     Version:                    
 Severity:  In WG Last Call     |    Keywords:                    
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Regarding Section 4.2.3 (Restarts), Waqas Hussain commented:

 > For the sake of backward compatibility, the receiving entity MUST
 > accept stream restarts at any stage in the stream negotiation
 > process even if the receiving entity has not indicated that a
 > stream restart is mandatory at that stage.

 Uh? Entities do not indicate the necessity of stream restarts. This is
 defined by the features themselves. And expecting stream restarts at all
 stages isn't feasible without some serious hacks. I think this is a
 leftover from previous edits to the spec which included attributes to
 indicate stream restarts.

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/xmpp/trac/ticket/15>
xmpp <http://tools.ietf.org/xmpp/>

---

From: "xmpp issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 17:55:52 -0000

Comment(by stpeter@…):

 On this point, Matthew Wild also commented:

 "Restarts MUST be accepted by the receiving entity at any time. Does this
 conflict with the MUST NOT restart after resource binding? I also question
 the need for this 'backwards compatibility'. I've never seen stream
 restarts after features that didn't require them in the wild, and a 'MUST'
 seems a bit too strong. Perhaps an implementation note would be more
 appropriate?"

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/xmpp/trac/ticket/15#comment:1>
xmpp <http://tools.ietf.org/xmpp/>

---

From: "xmpp issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 02:24:11 -0000

#15: inconsistent text about stream restarts
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  stpeter@…           |        Owner:  stpeter@…         
     Type:  defect              |       Status:  closed            
 Priority:  minor               |    Milestone:                    
Component:  3920bis             |      Version:                    
 Severity:  In WG Last Call     |   Resolution:  fixed             
 Keywords:                      |  
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
Changes (by stpeter@…):

  * status:  new => closed
  * resolution:  => fixed

Comment:

 Resolved by removing this paragraph.

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/xmpp/trac/ticket/15#comment:2>
xmpp <http://tools.ietf.org/xmpp/>