Subject: [xmpp] #50: character data in SASL <auth/> and <success/>

From: "xmpp issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 01:07:41 -0000

#50: character data in SASL <auth/> and <success/>
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  stpeter@…           |       Owner:  stpeter@…         
     Type:  defect              |      Status:  new               
 Priority:  minor               |   Milestone:                    
Component:  3920bis             |     Version:                    
 Severity:  In WG Last Call     |    Keywords:                    
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Section 6.2.10 (Round Trips) states:

 > For the sake of protocol efficiency, it is RECOMMENDED for
 > XMPP clients and servers to use these methods, however they
 > MUST support the less efficient modes as well.

 Matthew Wild commented: "There have been real-life cases of problems
 between clients and servers that do and don't support character data in
 <auth/> and <success/>. It seems to me that we should make it a
 requirement to support these (in addition to the inefficient forms), to
 avoid incompatibilities like this."

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/xmpp/trac/ticket/50>
xmpp <http://tools.ietf.org/xmpp/>

---

From: "xmpp issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 22:51:57 -0000

#50: character data in SASL <auth/> and <success/>
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  stpeter@…           |        Owner:  stpeter@…         
     Type:  defect              |       Status:  closed            
 Priority:  minor               |    Milestone:                    
Component:  3920bis             |      Version:                    
 Severity:  In WG Last Call     |   Resolution:  fixed             
 Keywords:                      |  
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
Changes (by stpeter@…):

  * status:  new => closed
  * resolution:  => fixed

Comment:

 Provisionally resolved with this text:

    For the sake of protocol efficiency, it is REQUIRED for clients and
    servers to support these methods and RECOMMENDED to use them; however
    clients and servers MUST support the less efficient modes as well.

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/xmpp/trac/ticket/50#comment:1>
xmpp <http://tools.ietf.org/xmpp/>