Subject: [xmpp] #14: it's not clear when a SASL mechanism might establish a security layer

From: "xmpp issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 17:52:09 -0000

#14: it's not clear when a SASL mechanism might establish a security layer
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  stpeter@…           |       Owner:  stpeter@…         
     Type:  defect              |      Status:  new               
 Priority:  minor               |   Milestone:                    
Component:  3920bis             |     Version:                    
 Severity:  In WG Last Call     |    Keywords:                    
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Regarding Section 4.2.2 (Stream Features Format), Matthew Wild commented
 as follows:

 "Says that stream restarts happen for 'TLS in all cases and SASL in the
 case when a security layer might be established'. How do we know when the
 latter is true?"

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/xmpp/trac/ticket/14>
xmpp <http://tools.ietf.org/xmpp/>

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 16:45:06 -0600

> #14: it's not clear when a SASL mechanism might establish a security layer

You know because you read the specs for the relevant SASL mechanisms. :)

Peter

-- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/

---

From: "xmpp issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 22:47:20 -0000

#14: it's not clear when a SASL mechanism might establish a security layer
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  stpeter@…           |        Owner:  stpeter@…         
     Type:  defect              |       Status:  closed            
 Priority:  minor               |    Milestone:                    
Component:  3920bis             |      Version:                    
 Severity:  In WG Last Call     |   Resolution:  fixed             
 Keywords:                      |  
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
Changes (by stpeter@…):

  * status:  new => closed
  * resolution:  => fixed

Comment:

 Provisionally resolved by adding the final clause to this text:

    Finally, for security reasons the parties to a stream need to discard
    knowledge that they gained during the negotiation process after
    successfully completing the protocol interactions defined for certain
    features (e.g., TLS in all cases and SASL in the case when a security
    layer might be established, as defined in the specification for the
    relevant SASL mechanism);

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/xmpp/trac/ticket/14#comment:1>
xmpp <http://tools.ietf.org/xmpp/>