Subject: [xmpp] #51: inclusion of SASL features advertisement

From: "xmpp issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 01:16:17 -0000

#51: inclusion of SASL features advertisement
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  stpeter@…           |       Owner:  stpeter@…         
     Type:  defect              |      Status:  new               
 Priority:  minor               |   Milestone:                    
Component:  3920bis             |     Version:                    
 Severity:  In WG Last Call     |    Keywords:                    
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Section 6.3.1 (Exchange of Stream Headers and Stream Features) states:

 > If the receiving entity supports SASL, the stream features
 > MUST include an advertisement for support of SASL negotiation...

 Dave Cridland commented: "this is wrong - it's if the receiving entity
 wishes to offer any SASL mechanisms at this point - not offering SASL may
 simply mean that TLS is required first, for example."

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/xmpp/trac/ticket/51>
xmpp <http://tools.ietf.org/xmpp/>

---

From: "xmpp issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 23:02:20 -0000

#51: inclusion of SASL features advertisement
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  stpeter@…           |        Owner:  stpeter@…         
     Type:  defect              |       Status:  closed            
 Priority:  minor               |    Milestone:                    
Component:  3920bis             |      Version:                    
 Severity:  In WG Last Call     |   Resolution:  fixed             
 Keywords:                      |  
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
Changes (by stpeter@…):

  * status:  new => closed
  * resolution:  => fixed

Comment:

 Provisionally resolved with this text:

    The receiving entity also MUST send stream features to the initiating
    entity.  If the receiving entity supports SASL, the stream features
    SHOULD include an advertisement for support of SASL negotiation,
    i.e., a <mechanisms/> element qualified by the
    'urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:xmpp-sasl' namespace; typically the only case
    in which support for SASL negotiation would not be advertised here is
    before STARTTLS negotiation when TLS is required.

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/xmpp/trac/ticket/51#comment:1>
xmpp <http://tools.ietf.org/xmpp/>