Subject: [xmpp] #62: 'from' address on error stanzas

From: "xmpp issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 01:57:44 -0000

#62: 'from' address on error stanzas
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  stpeter@…           |       Owner:  stpeter@…         
     Type:  defect              |      Status:  new               
 Priority:  major               |   Milestone:                    
Component:  3920bis             |     Version:                    
 Severity:  In WG Last Call     |    Keywords:                    
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Section 8.3 (Stanza Errors) does not specify rules for the 'from' address
 on error stanzas. List discussion indicated agreement that the entity
 detecting the error would simply swap the 'to' and 'from' addresses, but
 that the entity could specify its own address on the <error/> element
 using a yet-to-be-defined attribute.

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/xmpp/trac/ticket/62>
xmpp <http://tools.ietf.org/xmpp/>

---

From: "xmpp issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 04:01:18 -0000

#62: 'from' address on error stanzas
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  stpeter@…           |        Owner:  stpeter@…         
     Type:  defect              |       Status:  closed            
 Priority:  major               |    Milestone:                    
Component:  3920bis             |      Version:                    
 Severity:  In WG Last Call     |   Resolution:  fixed             
 Keywords:                      |  
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
Changes (by stpeter@…):

  * status:  new => closed
  * resolution:  => fixed

Comment:

 Provisionally resolved by the following text in Section 8.3.1:

    2.  The error stanza MUST simply swap the 'from' and 'to' addresses
        from the generated stanza.

 ...

    5.  The entity that returns an error stanza MAY pass along its JID to
        the sender of the generated stanza (e.g., for diagnostic or
        tracking purposes) through the addition of a 'by' attribute to
        the <error/> child element.

 Also added the 'by' attribute to several examples of stanza errors.

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/xmpp/trac/ticket/62#comment:1>
xmpp <http://tools.ietf.org/xmpp/>