Subject: [xmpp] #17: OK to send empty stream features after completion of stream negotiation?

From: "xmpp issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 20:04:44 -0000

#17: OK to send empty stream features after completion of stream negotiation?
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  stpeter@…           |       Owner:  stpeter@…         
     Type:  defect              |      Status:  new               
 Priority:  minor               |   Milestone:                    
Component:  3920bis             |     Version:                    
 Severity:  In WG Last Call     |    Keywords:                    
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Matthew Wild made a comment regarding the following text from Section
 4.2.5 (Completion of Stream Negotiation):

 > The receiving entity indicates completion of the stream
 > negotiation process by sending to the initiating entity
 > either an empty <features/> element or a <features/> element
 > that contains only voluntary features. After doing so, the
 > receiving entity MUST NOT send additional stream features to
 > the initiating entity....

 Comment:

 "It's awkward to re-word, but doesn't this imply that if only voluntary
 features are left and the client negotiated a feature that didn't require
 a stream restart, you wouldn't send another <features/>? Is this
 intentional?"

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/xmpp/trac/ticket/17>
xmpp <http://tools.ietf.org/xmpp/>

---

From: "xmpp issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 02:47:11 -0000

#17: OK to send empty stream features after completion of stream negotiation?
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  stpeter@…           |        Owner:  stpeter@…         
     Type:  defect              |       Status:  closed            
 Priority:  minor               |    Milestone:                    
Component:  3920bis             |      Version:                    
 Severity:  In WG Last Call     |   Resolution:  fixed             
 Keywords:                      |  
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
Changes (by stpeter@…):

  * status:  new => closed
  * resolution:  => fixed

Comment:

 Provisionally resolved with this text:

    The receiving entity indicates completion of the stream negotiation
    process by sending to the initiating entity either an empty
    <features/> element or a <features/> element that contains only
    voluntary features.  After doing so, the receiving entity MAY send an
    empty <features/> element (e.g., after negotiation of such voluntary
    features) but MUST NOT send additional stream features to the
    initiating entity....

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/xmpp/trac/ticket/17#comment:1>
xmpp <http://tools.ietf.org/xmpp/>