Subject: [xmpp] #6: DNS SRV records should be sorted by priority

From: "xmpp issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 16:12:58 -0000

#6: DNS SRV records should be sorted by priority
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  stpeter@…           |       Owner:  stpeter@…         
     Type:  defect              |      Status:  new               
 Priority:  major               |   Milestone:  milestone1        
Component:  3920bis             |     Version:                    
 Severity:  In WG Last Call     |    Keywords:                    
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Reported by Kevin Smith:

 In Section 3.2.1 (Preferred Process: SRV Lookup), DNS SRV records should
 be sorted by priority.

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://tools.ietf.org/wg/xmpp/trac/ticket/6>
xmpp <http://tools.ietf.org/xmpp/>

---

From: "xmpp issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 22:00:45 -0000

#6: DNS SRV records should be sorted by priority
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  stpeter@…           |        Owner:  stpeter@…         
     Type:  defect              |       Status:  closed            
 Priority:  major               |    Milestone:  milestone1        
Component:  3920bis             |      Version:                    
 Severity:  In WG Last Call     |   Resolution:  fixed             
 Keywords:                      |  
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
Changes (by stpeter@…):

  * status:  new => closed
  * resolution:  => fixed

Comment:

 Fixed via the following text:

    3.  If a response is received, it will contain one or more
        combinations of a port and hostname, each of which is weighted
        and prioritized as described in [DNS-SRV].  However, if the
        result of the SRV lookup is a single resource record with a
        Target of ".", i.e. the root domain, then the initiating entity
        MUST abort SRV processing at this point (but SHOULD attempt the
        fallback process described in the next section).

    4.  The initiating entity chooses at least one of the returned
        hostnames to resolve (following the rules in [DNS-SRV]), which it
        does by using a DNS "A" or "AAAA" lookup on the hostname; this
        will result in an IPv4 or IPv6 address.

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/xmpp/trac/ticket/6#comment:1>
xmpp <http://tools.ietf.org/xmpp/>