Subject: [xmpp] #60: meaning of no 'from' address on stanzas sent to client

From: "xmpp issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 01:50:41 -0000

#60: meaning of no 'from' address on stanzas sent to client
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  stpeter@…           |       Owner:  stpeter@…         
     Type:  defect              |      Status:  new               
 Priority:  minor               |   Milestone:                    
Component:  3920bis             |     Version:                    
 Severity:  In WG Last Call     |    Keywords:                    
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Section 8.1.2.1 (Client-to-Server Streams) states:

 > 5.  A server MUST NOT send to the client a stanza without a 'from'
 > attribute if the stanza was not generated by the server (e.g., if
 > it was generated by another client or another server); therefore,
 > when a client receives a stanza that does not include a 'from'
 > attribute, it MUST assume that the stanza is from the server to
 > which the client is connected.

 Waqas Hussain commented: "It MUST assume that the stanza is from the
 user's account on the server. A stanza from the server comes from the
 server's hostname, as described in point 4."

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/xmpp/trac/ticket/60>
xmpp <http://tools.ietf.org/xmpp/>

---

From: "xmpp issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 05:12:05 -0000

#60: meaning of no 'from' address on stanzas sent to client
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  stpeter@…           |        Owner:  stpeter@…         
     Type:  defect              |       Status:  closed            
 Priority:  minor               |    Milestone:                    
Component:  3920bis             |      Version:                    
 Severity:  In WG Last Call     |   Resolution:  fixed             
 Keywords:                      |  
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
Changes (by stpeter@…):

  * status:  new => closed
  * resolution:  => fixed

Comment:

 Resolved with this text:

    4.  A server MUST NOT send to the client a stanza without a 'from'
        attribute if the stanza was not generated by the server (e.g., if
        it was generated by another client or another server); therefore,
        when a client receives a stanza that does not include a 'from'
        attribute, it MUST assume that the stanza is from the user's
        account on the server.

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/xmpp/trac/ticket/60#comment:1>
xmpp <http://tools.ietf.org/xmpp/>