Subject: [xmpp] #34: remove <invalid-id/> stream error

From: "xmpp issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 21:33:57 -0000

#34: remove <invalid-id/> stream error
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  stpeter@…           |       Owner:  stpeter@…         
     Type:  defect              |      Status:  new               
 Priority:  major               |   Milestone:                    
Component:  3920bis             |     Version:                    
 Severity:  In WG Last Call     |    Keywords:                    
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Regarding Section 4.3.6.10, Dave Cridland commented: "I think this error
 should be taken out and shot. Firstly, it's a fatal error in response to a
 non-fatal condition, and secondly, it means I can randomly shut streams
 down. (Thankfully this one is never generated AFAIK). I don't think that
 syntactic enforcement of stream IDs is at all useful either."

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/xmpp/trac/ticket/34>
xmpp <http://tools.ietf.org/xmpp/>

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 16:06:06 -0600

> #34: remove <invalid-id/> stream error

I think the intent here was to punish entities for re-using stream IDs
(which are supposed to be unpredictable and non-repeating), but in this
case the initiating entity would need to keep a history of the stream
IDs it has received from the receiving entity, which seems unlikely and
downright stupid. So I concur about removing this, even though it was
specified in RFC 3920. Do any XMPP servers currently send this stream error?

Peter

-- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 16:24:12 -0600

On 6/23/10 4:07 PM, Dave Cridland wrote:
> On Wed Jun 23 23:06:06 2010, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> Document it as deprecated and MUST NOT send?

I think the documentation is in RFC 3920, so we can point people there.

Peter

-- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/

---

From: "xmpp issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 22:25:28 -0000

#34: remove <invalid-id/> stream error
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  stpeter@…           |        Owner:  stpeter@…         
     Type:  defect              |       Status:  closed            
 Priority:  major               |    Milestone:                    
Component:  3920bis             |      Version:                    
 Severity:  In WG Last Call     |   Resolution:  fixed             
 Keywords:                      |  
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
Changes (by stpeter@…):

  * status:  new => closed
  * resolution:  => fixed

Comment:

 Removed this stream error condition and added note to section on
 "Differences from RFC 3920".

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/xmpp/trac/ticket/34#comment:1>
xmpp <http://tools.ietf.org/xmpp/>

---

From: Dave Cridland <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 23:07:13 +0100