Subject: [xmpp] #20: clarify causes for idle TCP connections

From: "xmpp issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 20:45:55 -0000

#20: clarify causes for idle TCP connections
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  stpeter@…           |       Owner:  stpeter@…         
     Type:  defect              |      Status:  new               
 Priority:  minor               |   Milestone:                    
Component:  3920bis             |     Version:                    
 Severity:  In WG Last Call     |    Keywords:                    
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Regarding Section 4.3.3 (Handling of Idle Streams), Ben Campbell commented
 as follows:

 "What does it mean for a tcp stream to go idle? Are we talking around the
 idea of nat bindings expiring?"

 Paul Aurich noted that this functionality is "useful for detecting dropped
 connections".

 Dave Cridland commented: "I'm not sure that much of the terminology of the
 second paragraph of this section is correct. A TCP connection being idle
 does not mean the network connection has been lost, for example."

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://tools.ietf.org/wg/xmpp/trac/ticket/20>
xmpp <http://tools.ietf.org/xmpp/>

---

From: "xmpp issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2010 22:49:52 -0000

#20: clarify causes for idle TCP connections
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  stpeter@…           |        Owner:  stpeter@…         
     Type:  defect              |       Status:  closed            
 Priority:  minor               |    Milestone:                    
Component:  3920bis             |      Version:                    
 Severity:  In WG Last Call     |   Resolution:  fixed             
 Keywords:                      |  
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
Changes (by stpeter@…):

  * status:  new => closed
  * resolution:  => fixed

Comment:

 Clarified by modifying terminology ("idle" now refers only to a stream,
 not an TCP connection) and mentioning a lost network connection as only
 one possible cause for an idle stream.

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/xmpp/trac/ticket/20#comment:1>
xmpp <http://tools.ietf.org/xmpp/>