Subject: [xmpp] #19: disorganized text about closing a stream

From: "xmpp issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 20:36:39 -0000

#19: disorganized text about closing a stream
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  stpeter@…           |       Owner:  stpeter@…         
     Type:  defect              |      Status:  new               
 Priority:  minor               |   Milestone:                    
Component:  3920bis             |     Version:                    
 Severity:  In WG Last Call     |    Keywords:                    
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Regarding Section Section 4.3.2, Dave Cridland commented:

 "Most of this seems, to me, to apply to 4.3.1 cases as well - that is, you
 want to wait for your peer to acknowledge the close in the case where
 you've sent a stream error, as well, ideally."

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/xmpp/trac/ticket/19>
xmpp <http://tools.ietf.org/xmpp/>

---

From: "xmpp issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 20:38:40 -0000

Comment(by stpeter@…):

 Editorial comment: We might need to slightly reorganize the text in
 Section 4.3. The editor shall investigate whether a few paragraphs can be
 moved or consolidated.

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/xmpp/trac/ticket/19#comment:1>
xmpp <http://tools.ietf.org/xmpp/>

---

From: "xmpp issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 03:33:05 -0000

#19: disorganized text about closing a stream
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  stpeter@…           |        Owner:  stpeter@…         
     Type:  defect              |       Status:  closed            
 Priority:  minor               |    Milestone:                    
Component:  3920bis             |      Version:                    
 Severity:  In WG Last Call     |   Resolution:  fixed             
 Keywords:                      |  
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
Changes (by stpeter@…):

  * status:  new => closed
  * resolution:  => fixed

Comment:

 Rewritten as follows:

 ###

 4.3.  Closing a Stream

 4.3.1.  Process

    An XML stream between two entities can be closed at any time, either
    because a specific stream error has occurred or in the absence of an
    error (e.g., when a client simply ends its session).

    A stream is closed by sending a closing </stream> tag.

    S: </stream:stream>

    The entity that sends the closing stream tag SHOULD behave as
    follows:

    1.  Wait for the other party to also close its stream before
        terminating the underlying TCP connection (this gives the other
        party an opportunity to finish transmitting any data in the
        opposite direction before the TCP connection is terminated).

    2.  Refrain from initiating the sending of further data over that
        stream but continue to process data sent by the other entity
        (and, if necessary, react to such data).

    3.  Consider both streams to be void if the other party does not send
        its closing stream tag within a reasonable amount of time (where
        the definition of "reasonable" is a matter of implementation or
        deployment).

    4.  After receiving a reciprocal closing stream tag from the other
        party or waiting a reasonable amount of time with no response,
        MUST terminate the underlying TCP connection or connections.

 ###

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/xmpp/trac/ticket/19#comment:2>
xmpp <http://tools.ietf.org/xmpp/>