Subject: [xmpp] Stanza error froms.

From: Kevin Smith <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2010 10:03:42 +0100

There was a discussion a while ago about the correct behaviour for the
'from' on error stanzas.
I think the consensus was that things would break if we changed the
from of the stanza itself (and 3920bis doesn't change this, so that's
fine), but also that it is helpful to know who stamped the error on
the stanza so we'd add a from= on the error element of the stanza
itself, giving something like

<message from=[email-masked]/blah' to=[email-masked]' />

<message from=[email-masked]' to=[email-masked]/blah' type='error'>
 <error type='cancel' from 'example.net'>...</>
</message>

It'd be good to get this into 8.3.2, I think.

/K

---

From: Dave Cridland <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2010 11:26:09 +0100

> It'd be good to get this into 8.3.2, I think.

Is it safer to extend this by doing:

<message from =[email-masked]' to=[email-masked]/blah'  
type='error'>
  <error type='cancel'>
    <source xmlns='...' from='example.net'>
  ...
  </error>
</message>

This structure is explicitly called out by RFC 3920 as being  
expected, and we have deployment experience of similar things in  
PubSub and suchlike.

The downside is it's dog ugly.

Dave.
-- 
Dave Cridland - mailto:[email-masked] - xmpp:[email-masked]
  - acap://acap.dave.cridland.net/byowner/user/dwd/bookmarks/
  - http://dave.cridland.net/
Infotrope Polymer - ACAP, IMAP, ESMTP, and Lemonade