Subject: [xmpp] #25: syntax of 'id' attribute

From: "xmpp issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 21:00:06 -0000

#25: syntax of 'id' attribute
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  stpeter@…           |       Owner:  stpeter@…         
     Type:  defect              |      Status:  new               
 Priority:  minor               |   Milestone:                    
Component:  3920bis             |     Version:                    
 Severity:  In WG Last Call     |    Keywords:                    
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Regarding Section 4.3.3, Dave Cridland commented:

 "As I (vaguely) recall, and attribute in XML called 'id' must actually be
 an id, syntactically, and the example you've chosen doesn't look like one
 to me."

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://tools.ietf.org/wg/xmpp/trac/ticket/25>
xmpp <http://tools.ietf.org/xmpp/>

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 21:21:05 -0600

> #25: syntax of 'id' attribute

You must be talking about http://www.w3.org/TR/xml-id/

But:

1. The streams 'id' attribute (qualified by
'http://etherx.jabber.org/streams') or the XMPP 'id' attribute
(qualified by 'jabber:client' or 'jabber:server') is not the same as the
XML 'id' attribute. Just because some attribute is called 'id' does not
mean it has a datatype of "xs:ID".

2. The streams 'id' attribute is defined as follows:

   <xs:attribute name='id' type='xs:string' use='optional'/>

Not as:

   <xs:attribute name='id' type='xs:ID' use='optional'/>

3. The XMPP 'id' attribute is defined as follows:

   <xs:attribute name='id' type='xs:NMTOKEN' use='optional'/>

Not as:

   <xs:attribute name='id' type='xs:ID' use='optional'/>

A few points:

a. One could argue that the streams 'id' and XMPP 'id' need to have the
same datatype (e.g., we might want to change the former from xs:string
to xs:NMTOKEN).

b. Some of the examples of XMPP 'id' do not match the xs:NMTOKEN
production (which forbids any ASCII digit as the first character. Either
we need to change xs:NMTOKEN to string for XMPP 'id' or we need to fix
the examples.

c. One could argue that it would be better to change both streams 'id'
and XMPP 'id' to xs:id.

However, those are broader issues, outside the scope of your bug report
(which I shall mark as invalid).

Peter

-- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/

---

From: "xmpp issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 03:21:31 -0000

#25: syntax of 'id' attribute
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  stpeter@…           |        Owner:  stpeter@…         
     Type:  defect              |       Status:  closed            
 Priority:  minor               |    Milestone:                    
Component:  3920bis             |      Version:                    
 Severity:  In WG Last Call     |   Resolution:  invalid           
 Keywords:                      |  
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
Changes (by stpeter@…):

  * status:  new => closed
  * resolution:  => invalid

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/xmpp/trac/ticket/25#comment:1>
xmpp <http://tools.ietf.org/xmpp/>

---

From: Dave Cridland <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 11:06:56 +0100

> mean it has a datatype of "xs:ID".

I thought there was such a rule, but I can't find one.

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 15:25:59 -0600

> I thought there was such a rule, but I can't find one.

I can't either.

My other questions still stand.

Peter

-- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/