Subject: [xmpp] #5: the term "silently ignore" is confusing

From: "xmpp issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 16:05:01 -0000

#5: the term "silently ignore" is confusing
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  stpeter@…           |       Owner:  stpeter@…         
     Type:  defect              |      Status:  new               
 Priority:  minor               |   Milestone:  milestone1        
Component:  3920bis             |     Version:                    
 Severity:  In WG Last Call     |    Keywords:                    
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Waqas Hussain reported:

 > the term "silently ignore" means (1) for a routing entity
 > (typically a server) to route the data unmodified to another
 > server or to deliver the data unmodified to a client

 That's a rather unintuitive definition of "silently ignored". The spec
 uses this definition in some places, whereas in others the same phrase is
 used as meaning "discard the data" (e.g., section 7.1).

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://tools.ietf.org/wg/xmpp/trac/ticket/5>
xmpp <http://tools.ietf.org/xmpp/>

---

From: "xmpp issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 20:39:19 -0000

#5: the term "silently ignore" is confusing
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  stpeter@…           |        Owner:  stpeter@…         
     Type:  defect              |       Status:  closed            
 Priority:  minor               |    Milestone:  milestone1        
Component:  3920bis             |      Version:                    
 Severity:  In WG Last Call     |   Resolution:  fixed             
 Keywords:                      |  
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
Changes (by stpeter@…):

  * status:  new => closed
  * resolution:  => fixed

Comment:

 The working copy now uses the following terms:

 > deliver:
 >     for a server, to pass the data to a connected client
 > ignore:
 >     for a client or server, to discard the data without acting
 >     upon it, presenting it a human user, or returning an error
 >     to the sender
 > route:
 >     for a server, to pass the data to a remote server for subsequent
 delivery

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://svn.tools.ietf.org/wg/xmpp/trac/ticket/5#comment:1>
xmpp <http://tools.ietf.org/xmpp/>