Subject: [xmpp] #49: default for simple username in SASL

From: "xmpp issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 00:53:32 -0000

#49: default for simple username in SASL
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  stpeter@…           |       Owner:  stpeter@…         
     Type:  defect              |      Status:  new               
 Priority:  minor               |   Milestone:                    
Component:  3920bis             |     Version:                    
 Severity:  In WG Last Call     |    Keywords:                    
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Section 6.2.7 (Simple Username) states:

 > Some SASL mechanisms (e.g., CRAM-MD5, DIGEST-MD5, and SCRAM) have
 > the concept of a "simple username".  The exact form of the simple
 > username in any particular mechanism is a local matter, and a
 > simple username does not necessarily map to an application
 > identifier such as a JID or a JID component.

 Dave Cridland commented: "Traditionally, the simple username has been the
 node portion of a jid. I maintain this is remains a sensible default,
 although this mapping MAY not hold - it's certainly worthwhile noting that
 this is a typical mapping in current deployments."

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/xmpp/trac/ticket/49>
xmpp <http://tools.ietf.org/xmpp/>

---

From: "xmpp issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 22:54:51 -0000

#49: default for simple username in SASL
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  stpeter@…           |        Owner:  stpeter@…         
     Type:  defect              |       Status:  closed            
 Priority:  minor               |    Milestone:                    
Component:  3920bis             |      Version:                    
 Severity:  In WG Last Call     |   Resolution:  fixed             
 Keywords:                      |  
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
Changes (by stpeter@…):

  * status:  new => closed
  * resolution:  => fixed

Comment:

 Provisionally resolve with the following text:

 6.2.7.  Simple Username

    Some SASL mechanisms (e.g., CRAM-MD5, DIGEST-MD5, and SCRAM) specify
    that the authentication identity used in the context of such
    mechanisms is a "simple username" combined with a password (see
    Section 2 of [SASL]).  The exact form of the simple username in any
    particular mechanism or deployment thereof is a local matter, and a
    simple username does not necessarily map to an application identifier
    such as a JID or JID component (e.g., a localpart).  However, in the
    absence of local information provided by the server, an XMPP client
    SHOULD assume that the authentication identity for such a SASL
    mechanism is a username/password combination, where the simple
    username is the localpart of the user's JID.

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/xmpp/trac/ticket/49#comment:1>
xmpp <http://tools.ietf.org/xmpp/>