Subject: [xmpp] RFC 6120 on Extensible Messaging and Presence Protocol (XMPP): Core

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 15:32:49 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6120

        Title:      Extensible Messaging and Presence Protocol 
                    (XMPP): Core 
        Author:     P. Saint-Andre
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       March 2011
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      211
        Characters: 451942
        Obsoletes:  RFC3920

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-xmpp-3920bis-22.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6120.txt

The Extensible Messaging and Presence Protocol (XMPP) is an
application profile of the Extensible Markup Language (XML) that
enables the near-real-time exchange of structured yet extensible data
between any two or more network entities.  This document defines
XMPP's core protocol methods: setup and teardown of XML streams,
channel encryption, authentication, error handling, and communication
primitives for messaging, network availability ("presence"), and
request-response interactions.  This document obsoletes RFC 3920. 
[STANDARDS-TRACK]

This document is a product of the Extensible Messaging and Presence Protocol Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC