Subject: [xmpp] additional mapping in 6122bis

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 12:43:45 -0600

FYI, I'm working on an revised version of 6122bis to align it with the
other PRECIS-related specs. The revisions are small, and I am hoping
that this version would be ready for a Working Group Last Call.

In Vancouver, the major open issue here seemed to be whether we would
apply additional mappings (see draft-yoneya-precis-mappings),
especially width mappings (fullwidth/halfwidth) but also
locale-specific mappings and the like. Currently, all of the
additional mappings are purely optional. For the sake of
backward-compatibility, I think the width mappings make sense because
in 3920/6122 we used NFKC, which does the width mappings by default,
so IMHO applying the width mappings in 6122bis would be sensible.
Right now my feeling is that it would be good to change the width
mappings from a MAY to a SHOULD but leave any other mappings (e.g.,
locale-specific mappings) as a MAY.

If there are no concerns/objections, I'll incorporate that update in
the next revision.

Peter

- -- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2012 15:55:28 -0600

On 9/18/12 12:43 PM, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> FYI, I'm working on an revised version of 6122bis to align it with
> the other PRECIS-related specs. The revisions are small, and I am
> hoping that this version would be ready for a Working Group Last
> Call.
> 
> In Vancouver, the major open issue here seemed to be whether we
> would apply additional mappings (see
> draft-yoneya-precis-mappings), especially width mappings
> (fullwidth/halfwidth) but also locale-specific mappings and the
> like. Currently, all of the additional mappings are purely
> optional. For the sake of backward-compatibility, I think the width
> mappings make sense because in 3920/6122 we used NFKC, which does
> the width mappings by default, so IMHO applying the width mappings
> in 6122bis would be sensible. Right now my feeling is that it would
> be good to change the width mappings from a MAY to a SHOULD but
> leave any other mappings (e.g., locale-specific mappings) as a
> MAY.

I received a message from someone offlist requesting to make this a
MUST, not a SHOULD (in order to reduce ambiguity). That makes sense to
me. Does anyone have objections to making that change?

Peter

- -- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/