Subject: [xmpp] Fwd: consolidating FreeformClass profiles?

From: Peter Saint-Andre - &yet <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2014 20:08:14 -0700

What do folks here think about this suggestion?

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: consolidating FreeformClass profiles?
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2014 20:04:07 -0700
From: Peter Saint-Andre - &yet <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>

I think we've done a pretty good job of consolidating some of the
IdentiferClass profiles, thanks to prodding from John Klensin.

Now I'm wondering if we can prune the list of FreeformClass profiles.
Currently we have:

Password (draft-ietf-precis-saslprepbis)
Resourcepart (draft-ietf-xmpp-6122bis)
Nickname (draft-ietf-precis-nickname)

The Password and Resourcepart profiles are similar: the main differences
are use of the Bidi Rule and removal of leading and trailing whitespace
in Resourcepart (the latter is more of a UI consideration and probably
doesn't belong in the Resourcepart profile in the first place). I think
we *might* be able to point to the Password profile from 6122bis and
remove the Resourcepart profile (I'll need to post to the XMPP WG list
about that). The "Password" name feels a bit strange in this context (I
might prefer a more generic name like "OpaqueString"), but that's a nit.

The Nickname profile is different enough in purpose and function that I
think we'll need to keep it.

Peter

-- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://andyet.com/

-- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://andyet.com/