Subject: [xmpp] Fwd: username profile(s)

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2014 20:27:43 -0700

FYI, I posted this to the PRECIS WG list yesterday. Comments are welcome 
there.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: username profile(s)
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2014 12:52:55 -0700
From: Peter Saint-Andre - &yet <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>

In draft-ietf-precis-saslprepbis we have a profile for usernames, which
differs from the profile for localparts of JabberIDs defined in
draft-ietf-xmpp-6122bis in only one respect: the localpart profile
specifies case mapping whereas the username profile leaves decisions
about case mapping vs. case preservation up to the using application.

I am wondering whether it would make sense to define two username
profiles in draft-ietf-precis-saslprepbis: one that uses case mapping
(say, Usernamecasemapped) and one that uses case preservation (say,
Usernamecasepreserved). This seems cleaner to me, and would avoid the
need to define a separate profile in the XMPP specs (which might not be
where future protocol designers would look for a username construct).

Thoughts?

Peter

-- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://andyet.com/