Subject: [xrblock] MoS reference support in QoE draft

From: Qin Wu <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2012 10:36:24 +0800

Hi,
MoS reference are referred to one QoE related parameter or option that is used to 
distinguish narrowband speech from wideband speech or  low resolution video from
 high resolution for video
For audio, MOS values for narrowband, wideband occupy the same range. 
For video application,MoS values for SD resolution, HD resolution 
video also occupy the same ranges,therefore it is important for 
the QoE block to indicate what the MOS reference is. 
In the current published media stream quality assessment documents, i.e., P.NAMS, 
P.NBAMS, they are splitted to support lower resolution application and higher resolution
 application respectively, this also tell us it is necessary for QoE block to indicate what the
 MoS reference is.

In order to support MoS reference, with Alan's input, we like to propose the following changes
 to QoE draft.
1.Section 3.1, last sentence
OLD TEXT:
"
The encoding of QoE metrics block payload consists of a
series of 32 bit units called segments that describe MOS Type, MoS
algorithm and MoS value.

      Editor's note: MOS values for narrowband, wideband, super wideband
      and fullband codecs; these MOS values occupy the same range.  For
      video application,MoS values for SD resolution, HD resolution
      video also occupy the same ranges and hence the QoE block needs to
      indicate what the MOS reference is.

      Editor's Note: If we add MoS reference concept, 32 bit segment is
      not sufficient.  Therefore it was suggested to expand 32 bit
      segment into 48 bit segment to support MoS reference feature.

   The QoE Metrics Block has the following format:

       0                   1                   2                   3
       0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
      +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
      |     BT=QMB    | I |  Reserved |       Block Length            |
      +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
      |                        SSRC of source                         |
      +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
      |                          Segment  1                           |
      +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
      |                          Segment 2                            |
      +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
      ..................
      +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
      |                          Segment n                            |
      +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"
NEW TEXT:
"
The encoding of QoE metrics block payload consists of a

series of 48-bit units called segments that describe MOS

 Type, MoS Reference, MoS algorithm and MoS value.

The QoE Metrics Block has the following format:

 0                   1                   2                   3

 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

|     BT=QMB    | I |  Reserved |       Block Length            |

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

|                        SSRC of source                         |

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

|                          Segment  1 (bit0-31)                 |

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

|   Segment  1 (bit32-47)       |     Segment  2 (bit0-15)      |

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

|                         Segment  2 (bit16-47)                 |

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

..................

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

|                          Segment n                            |

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

|..................

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"
2. Section 3.2.1
OLD TEXT:
"
3.2.1.  Single Stream per SSRC Segment

      +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
      |S|  MT   |CAlg |    PT       |Rsv. |         MOS Value         |
      +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

   +----------------------------+--------------------------------------+
   | Editor's Note: If we add   | Editor's Note: Shall we need to      |
   | MoS reference concept, we  | support MoS Scaling concept in the   |
   | should give a definition   | future draft?  One point on the list |
   | of MoS reference which     | is MoS Scaling concept is implicitly |
   | covers both audio          | used within the industry when        |
   | application and video      | quoting MOS scores for codecs and    |
   | application.               | measurements.                        |
   +----------------------------+--------------------------------------+

   Segment Type (S): 1 bit

      This field is used to identify the segment type used in this
      report block.  A zero identifies this as a single stream segment.
      Single stream means there is only one media stream carried in one
      RTP stream.  The single stream segment can be used to report the
      MoS value associated with this media stream identified by SSRC.
      If there are multiple media streams and they want to use the
      single stream per SSRC segment to report the MOS value, they
      should be carried in the separate RTP streams with different SSRC.
      In this case, multiple QoE Metrics Blocks are required to report
      the MOS value corresponding to each media stream using single
      stream segment.

   Calculation Algorithm (CALg):3 bits

         000 - ITU-T P.564 Compliant Algorithm [P.564] (Voice)
         001 - G.107 [G.107] (Voice)
         010 - ETSI TS 101 329-5 Annex E [ ETSI] (Voice)
         011 - TTC JJ201.01 [TTC] (Voice)
         100 - ITU-T P.1201 [P.1201] (Multimedia)
         101 - ITU-T P.1202 [P.1202] (Video)
         110~111 - Reserved for future extension.

   MOS Value: 14 bits

      The estimated mean opinion score for multimedia application
      quality is defined as including the effects of delay,loss,
      discard,jitter and other effects that would affect multimedia
      quality .  It is expressed in numeric format 6:8 with the value in
      the range 0.0 to 63.996.  The valid the measured value ranges from
      0.0 to 50.0, corresponding to MoS x 10 as for MoS.  If the
      measured value is over ranged, the value 0xFFFE SHOULD be reported
      to indicate an over-range measurement.  If the measurement is
      unavailable, the value 0xFFFF SHOULD be reported.  Values other
      than 0xFFFE,0xFFFF and the valid range defined above MUST NOT be
      sent and MUST be ignored by the receiving system.

"
NEW TEXT:
"
3.2.1.  Single Stream per SSRC Segment

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

| 0 |  MT   |   MR  |   CAlg    |     PT      |      Reserved   |

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

|        MoS  Value             |

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Segment Type (S): 2 bits

      This field is used to identify the segment type used in this report block.

      A zero identifies this as a single stream segment. The values

      2-3 are reserved for future use.Single stream

      means there is only one media stream carried in one RTP stream.

      The single stream segment can be used to report the MoS value

      associated with this media stream identified by SSRC.  If there

      are multiple media streams and they want to use the single stream

      per SSRC segment to report the MOS value, they should be carried

      in the separate RTP streams with different SSRC.  In this case,

      multiple QoE Metrics Blocks are required to report the MOS value

      corresponding to each media stream using single stream segment.

   MoS Reference (MR):4 bits

     This field is used to indicate the MOS reference to be reported.

     The MoS reference is defined as follows:

     0000 -  Narrowband (3.4kHz) Speech

     0001 -  Wideband (7kHz) Speech

     0010  - Standard Definition (SD) Resolution Video

     0011  - High Definition (HD) Resolution Video

  0100~1111 - Reserved for future definitions.

Note that the frequency described above for Speech refers to 

the audio bandwidth and not the sample rate (e.g. an 8kHz sample

 rate is used on traditional telecom networks and audio bandwidth

 is filtered to 3.4kz).SD Resolution Video refers to lower resolution

 media (e.g.,Mobile TV) while HD Resolution Video refers to higher 

resolution media (e.g.,IPTV).

   Calculation Algorithm (CALg):6 bits

         000000 - ITU-T P.564 Compliant Algorithm [P.564] (Voice)

         000001 - G.107 [G.107] (Voice)

         000010 - ETSI TS 101 329-5 Annex E [ ETSI] (Voice)

000011 - TTC JJ201.01 [TTC] (Voice)

         000100 - ITU-T P.1201 [P.1201] (Multimedia)

         000101 - ITU-T P.1202 [P.1202] (Video)

         000110~111111 - Reserved for future extension.

   MOS Value: 16 bits

      The estimated mean opinion score for multimedia application

      quality is defined as including the effects of delay, loss,

      discard,jitter and other effects that would affect multimedia

      quality .  It is expressed in numeric format 8:8 with the value in

      the range 0.0 to 255.996.  The valid the measured value ranges from

      10.0 to 50.0, corresponding to MoS x 10 as for MoS.  If the

      measured value is over ranged, the value 0xFFFE SHOULD be reported

      to indicate an over-range measurement.  If the measurement is

      unavailable, the value 0xFFFF SHOULD be reported.  Values other

      than 0xFFFE,0xFFFF and the valid range defined above MUST NOT be

      sent and MUST be ignored by the receiving system.

"
3. Section 3.2.2
OLD TEXT"
"
3.2.2.  Multi-Channel audio per SSRC Segment

      +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
      |S|  MT   |CAlg |     PT      |CHID |         MOS Value         |
      +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   Segement Type (S): 1 bit

      This field is used to identify the segment type used in this
      report block.  A one identifies this as a multi-channel audio
      segment.

   Calculation Algorithm (CALg):3 bits

         000 - ITU-T P.564 Compliant Algorithm [P.564] (Voice)
         001 - G.107 [G.107] (Voice)
         010 - ETSI TS 101 329-5 Annex E, [ ETSI] (Voice)
         011 - TTC JJ201.01 [TTC] (Voice)
         100~111 - Reserved for future extension.
"
NEW TEXT:
"
3.2.2.  Multi-Channel audio per SSRC Segment

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

| 1 |  MT   |   MR  |    CAlg   |     PT      |   CHID  |Reserve|

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

|        MoS  Value             |

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

   Segment Type (S): 2 bits

      This field is used to identify the segment 

     type used in this report block. A one identifies 

     this as a multi-channel audio segment. The values

     2-3 are reserved for future use.

   MoS Reference (MR): 4 bits

     This field is used to indicate the MOS reference to be reported. The MoS reference is defined as follows:

     0000 -  Narrowband (3.4kHz) Speech

     0001 -  Wideband (7kHz) Speech

  0010~1111 - Reserved for future definitions.

    Note that the frequency described above for Speech refers to the audio

    bandwidth and not the sample rate (e.g. an 8kHz sample rate is used on 

    traditional telecom networks and audio bandwidth is filtered to 3.4kz).

   Calculation Algorithm (CALg):6 bits

         000000 - ITU-T P.564 Compliant Algorithm [P.564] (Voice)

         000001 - G.107 [G.107] (Voice)

         000010 - ETSI TS 101 329-5 Annex E, [ ETSI] (Voice)

000011 - TTC JJ201.01 [TTC] (Voice)

         000100~111111 - Reserved for future extension.

"

Regards!
-Qin