Subject: Re: [yam] Status of draft-ietf-yam-4409bis-submit

From: SM <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 May 2011 02:58:11 -0700

This is a summary of the discussion about draft-ietf-yam-rfc4409bis-00 [1]:

4 May 2011 - John Klensin posted the proposed text that was 
incorporated in draft-ietf-yam-rfc4409bis-00

5 May 2011 - Jeff Macdonald asked whether there should be there be 
advice mentioning that such changes should be done before (or after?) 
such things as digital signing?

5 May 2011 - John Levine prefers noting that if a message is signed, 
the MSA should consider what effect downcoding will have on the validity of the
signature, but not offer any advice about when to do what.

5 May 2011 - Jeff Macdonald stated that he could live with that advice.

5 May 2011 - Barry Leiba is happy with John Levine's response to 
Jeff's concern.

5 May 2011 - John Levine proposed the following change:

  "On page 11, just before section 8.1:

    If a incoming message includes a DKIM or other signature, sites SHOULD
    consider what effect message modifications will have on the validity
    of the signature, and MAY use the presence or absence of a signature
    as a criterion when deciding what, if any, modifications to make."

6 May 2011 - John Klensin posted a list of known issues [2].

There is the following change in Section 8:

   "If an incoming message includes a DKIM [RFC4871][RFC5672], PGP
    [RFC4880], S/MIME [RFC5751], or other signature, sites SHOULD
    consider what effect message modifications will have on the validity
    of the signature, and MAY use the presence or absence of a signature
    as a criterion when deciding what, if any, modifications to make."

I'll send a note to Tony Hansen about it and see whether the WG Last 
Call can be started.

If I missed anything or misinterpreted your comments, please send a 
message to the YAM mailing list or the co-chairs.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy
YAM co-chair

1. http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-yam-rfc4409bis-00
2. http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/yam/current/msg00593.html