Subject: [yam] Protocol Action: 'Message Submission for Mail' to Full Standard (draft-ietf-yam-rfc4409bis-03.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2011 07:39:10 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Message Submission for Mail'
  (draft-ietf-yam-rfc4409bis-03.txt) as a Full Standard

This document is the product of the Yet Another Mail Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Pete Resnick and Peter Saint-Andre.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-yam-rfc4409bis/

Technical Summary

This document splits message submission from message relay, allowing each
service to operate according to its own rules (for security, policy, etc.)
and specifies what actions are to be taken by a submission server.

Working Group Summary

The YAM WG adopted a two-step approach to move this document to Full Standard.
The first step was a pre-evaluation of the existing specification to identify
changes and non-changes. The second step was to incorporate the changes into
the document and ensure that any implementation that conforms to the Draft
Standard version of the specification remains compliant with this document.
There was no controversy. There is consensus to move the specification to
Full Standard.

Document Quality

The document has a high degree of technical maturity. In the five years since
publication of the Draft Standard and 13 years since publication as Proposed
Standard, the specification has become an integral part of all professional
SMTP software products and is widely supported in Internet Mail operations.
Chris Newman suggested adding Section 5.3 applying shorter timeouts.
John Klensin wrote the text in Section 6.5 which discusses about adjusting
character encodings.

Personnel

S. Moonesamy is the Document Shepherd for this document. Pete Resnick is the
Responsible Area Director.