Subject: [yang-doctors] Re-review of YANG Modules following the NMDA Guidelines WAS:RE: Fwd: Important: Guidelines for YANG module authors

From: "Mehmet Ersue" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2017 16:22:05 +0200

Dear YANG Doctors,

following Benoit's request I'm going to restart the review of the YANG
modules listed below to achieve the NMDA compliance.

Please use for your review the criteria and guidelines in:
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-dsdt-nmda-guidelines/>
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-dsdt-nmda-guidelines/

If there is any issue or unclear guideline we need to clarify this on YANG
Doctors maillist.

I would like to ask you to finish your review at the latest during or right
after the IETF week 

so that we can give the draft authors feedback as early as possible
(potentially during IETF #99).

Currently running reviews should already consider the NMDA guidelines. 

These are:

<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-i2rs-yang-l3-topology/reviewreq
uest/8890/> draft-ietf-i2rs-yang-l3-topology-09           Ladislav Lhotka 

<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-rtgwg-device-model/reviewreques
t/8513/> draft-ietf-rtgwg-device-model-02             Giles Heron 

<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-mpls-ldp-yang/reviewrequest/845
9/> draft-ietf-mpls-ldp-yang-01                         Dean Bogdanovic 

<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-netmod-syslog-model/reviewreque
st/8317/> draft-ietf-netmod-syslog-model-12          Kent Watsen 

Below are the drafts which need to be re-reviewed by original reviewers. 

- To enter your review result please click on the draft name (on the page
for closed reviews:

https://datatracker.ietf.org/group/yangdoctors/reviews/?since=all#closed-rev
iew-requests)

- Please use the button "Correct review" to enter the review results.

- Please send an email to the authors AND YANG Doctors maillist.

 <https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-pim-yang/reviewrequest/8484/>
draft-ietf-pim-yang-00                             Dean Bogdanovic
Ready with Issues 

NOTE: Publication requested, not yet in IETF LC, i.e. an urgent review is
very useful.

<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-l3sm-l3vpn-service-model/review
request/8246/> draft-ietf-l3sm-l3vpn-service-model-16          Giles Heron
Ready 

NOTE: Already published. Review can be useful.

<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-netmod-intf-ext-yang/reviewrequ
est/8458/> draft-ietf-netmod-intf-ext-yang-04           Andy Bierman
Almost Ready 

<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-netconf-yang-push/reviewrequest
/8237/> draft-ietf-netconf-yang-push-04                 Bert Wijnen
On the Right Track 

<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-i2rs-yang-l3-topology/reviewreq
uest/8481/> draft-ietf-i2rs-yang-l3-topology-02           Carl Moberg
Ready with Issues 

<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-lime-yang-oam-model/reviewreque
st/8236/> draft-ietf-lime-yang-oam-model-08         Carl Moberg       On the
Right Track 

<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-lime-yang-connectionless-oam-me
thods/reviewrequest/8235/>
draft-ietf-lime-yang-connectionless-oam-methods-00Carl Moberg             On
the Right Track 

<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-lime-yang-connectionless-oam/re
viewrequest/8234/> draft-ietf-lime-yang-connectionless-oam-03        Carl
Moberg       On the Right Track 

<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-trill-yang-oam/reviewrequest/88
16/> draft-ietf-trill-yang-oam                                 Jan Lindblad
On the Right Track 

<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ippm-twamp-yang/reviewrequest/8
483/> draft-ietf-ippm-twamp-yang-00                 Jan Lindblad       Ready
with Issues 

<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-pim-igmp-mld-yang/reviewrequest
/8263/> draft-ietf-pim-igmp-mld-yang-01              Jan Lindblad       On
the Right Track 

<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-i2rs-yang-network-topo/reviewre
quest/8482/> draft-ietf-i2rs-yang-network-topo-02      Kent Watsen
Almost Ready 

<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-rtgwg-yang-rip/reviewrequest/84
86/> draft-ietf-rtgwg-yang-rip-02                        Ladislav Lhotka
Ready with Issues 

<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-rtgwg-yang-key-chain/reviewrequ
est/8239/> draft-ietf-rtgwg-yang-key-chain-13          Ladislav Lhotka
Almost Ready 

<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-teas-yang-te-topo/reviewrequest
/8747/> draft-ietf-teas-yang-te-topo-08                  Mahesh Jethanandani
Ready with Issues 

<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-netmod-acl-model/reviewrequest/
8480/> draft-ietf-netmod-acl-model-07                 Mahesh Jethanandani
Ready with Issues 

<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-rtgwg-ni-model/reviewrequest/84
93/> draft-ietf-rtgwg-ni-model-02                       Martin Bjorklund
Not Ready 

<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-rtgwg-lne-model/reviewrequest/8
491/> draft-ietf-rtgwg-lne-model-02                    Martin Bjorklund
Ready with Issues 

 <https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-lmap-yang/reviewrequest/8485/>
draft-ietf-lmap-yang-05                                 Martin Bjorklund
Ready with Issues 

<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-rtgwg-routing-types/reviewreque
st/8529/> draft-ietf-rtgwg-routing-types                    Radek Krejčí
Ready with Nits 

<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-rtgwg-yang-vrrp/reviewrequest/8
487/> draft-ietf-rtgwg-yang-vrrp-01                     Radek Krejčí
Ready with Issues 

Many Thanks for your efforts.

Cheers,

Mehmet

From: yang-doctors [ <mailto:[email-masked]>
mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Benoit Claise
Sent: Monday, June 26, 2017 1:01 PM
To: YANG Doctors < <mailto:[email-masked]> [email-masked]>;
Robert Wilton -X (rwilton - Ensoft Ltd at Cisco) <
<mailto:[email-masked]> [email-masked]>; < <mailto:[email-masked]>
[email-masked]> < <mailto:[email-masked]> [email-masked]>;
<mailto:[email-masked]> [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [yang-doctors] Fwd: Important: Guidelines for YANG module
authors

Dear YANG doctors,

Thinking some more about it, I believe we want to review one more time the
already-reviewed YANG modules to flag whether they align with the guidelines
below.
Background: the TEAS YANG module draft-ietf-teas-yang-te-topo, which we're
discussing now. 
On this specific one, not only it's not aligned with the NMDA guidelines,
but he doesn't align with any of of the known YANG module structure, as Rob
mentioned:

My comment actually relates to the fact the structure used by TE YANG
modules don't match any other YANG modules - they are using their own unique
style of structure.

Practically, it means that this YANG module will be hard to integrate.

Regards, Benoit    

Dear YANG doctors,

Here is an important message for your YANG doctor reviews.
Rob Wilton developed some tooling to help YANG module designers to
transition to NMDA.

Rob, would you mind explaining to everybody on this list, and maybe on the
NETMOD if you believe this is relevant for everybody.

Regards, Benoit

-------- Forwarded Message -------- 

Subject: 

Important: Guidelines for YANG module authors

Date: 

Fri, 9 Jun 2017 15:56:39 +0200

From: 

Benoit Claise  <mailto:[email-masked]> <[email-masked]>

To: 

NETMOD Working Group  <mailto:[email-masked]> <[email-masked]>

Dear all,

Now that the new NETMOD and NETCONF charters have been approved, it's time
to think about the guidelines for YANG module authors.

The Network Management Datastore Architecture (NMDA) addresses the so-called
"OpState problem" that has been the subject of much discussion in the IETF.
NMDA is still in development, and there will be a transition period before
NMDA solutions are universally available.

The NETMOD Datastore Design Team and the Routing Yang Architecture Design
Team have worked with Alia and Benoit to create initial guidelines for how
the NMDA, as defined in
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-netmod-revised-datastores/>
draft-ietf-netmod-revised-datastores, impacts Yang models. The
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-dsdt-nmda-guidelines/>
draft-dsdt-nmda-guidelines individual draft was foundational in helping
creating those guidelines.

If you have questions or concerns on how these guidelines should apply to
work of interest, please contact your WG Chairs or ADs.

It is our strong recommendation, as ADs with agreement from the NETMOD WG
Chairs, that models SHOULD move as quickly as possible to the NMDA. The
specific approach to be taken for models being developed now and during the
NMDA transition period should be based on both the expected usage and the
maturity of the data model.

1. New models and models that are not concerned with the operational state
of configuration information SHOULD immediately be structured to be
NMDA-compatible.

2. Models that require immediate support for "in use" and "system created"
information SHOULD be structured for NMDA. Then derived versions of these
models SHOULD be created, either by hand or with suitable tools, that follow
the current modeling strategies. In some cases, the non-NMDA model may be an
existing model and not derived from the NMDA model. In all cases, the NMDA
and non-NMDA modules SHOULD be published in the same document, with NMDA
modules in the document main body and the non-NMDA modules in an Appendix.
The use of the non-NMDA model will allow temporary bridging of the time
period until NMDA implementations are available. The non-NMDA module names
should include '-state' appended.

We would like to thank Kent Watsen, Lou Berger, Rob Wilton, Martin
Bjorklund, Phil Shafer, Acee Lindem, Chris Hopps, Juergen Schoenwaelder, and
all others who helped develop these guidelines.

Regards,
Alia Atlas, Routing AD
Deborah Brungard, Routing AD
Alvaro Retana, Routing AD
Warren Kumari, Operations & Management AD 
Benoit Claise, Operations & Management AD

_______________________________________________

yang-doctors mailing list

 <mailto:[email-masked]> [email-masked]

 <https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/yang-doctors>
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/yang-doctors

---

From: Andy Bierman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2017 08:42:41 -0700

Hi,

I think it is quite risky to start rewriting YANG modules when the RD
protocol interaction
models are still undefined.

I still cannot get an answer why I only needed 1 capability URI to say "all
writable YANG modules
can be edited via the candidate config"  but now with RD I need to specify
a mapping
for each module to each datastore it can be used in.  I don't recall
anything like
this in the form of requirements from openconfig.  I have not heard any
use-cases
at all for this mapping other than "an agent might want to do this", which
is not a use-case.

Andy

On Wed, Jun 28, 2017 at 7:22 AM, Mehmet Ersue <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Dear YANG Doctors,
>
>
>
> following Benoit’s request I’m going to restart the review of the YANG
> I would like to ask you to finish your review at the latest during or
> right after the IETF week
>
> draft-ietf-i2rs-yang-l3-topology-09
> <https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-i2rs-yang-l3-topology/reviewrequest/8890/>
> Ladislav Lhotka
>
> draft-ietf-rtgwg-device-model-02
> <https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-rtgwg-device-model/reviewrequest/8513/>
> Giles Heron
>
> draft-ietf-mpls-ldp-yang-01
> <https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-mpls-ldp-yang/reviewrequest/8459/>
>                          Dean Bogdanovic
>
> draft-ietf-netmod-syslog-model-12
> <https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-netmod-syslog-model/reviewrequest/8317/>
> Kent Watsen
>
>
>
>
>
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/group/yangdoctors/reviews/?
> since=all#closed-review-requests)
>
> - Please use the button “Correct review” to enter the review results.
>
> draft-ietf-pim-yang-00
>                             Dean Bogdanovic             Ready with Issues
>
> *NOTE: Publication requested, not yet in IETF LC, i.e. an urgent review is
> very useful.*
>
>
>
> draft-ietf-l3sm-l3vpn-service-model-16
> <https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-l3sm-l3vpn-service-model/reviewrequest/8246/>
>          Giles Heron         Ready
>
> *NOTE: Already published. Review can be useful.*
>
>
>
> draft-ietf-netmod-intf-ext-yang-04
> <https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-netmod-intf-ext-yang/reviewrequest/8458/>
> Andy Bierman    Almost Ready
>
> draft-ietf-netconf-yang-push-04
> <https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-netconf-yang-push/reviewrequest/8237/>
>                 Bert Wijnen        On the Right Track
>
>
>
> draft-ietf-i2rs-yang-l3-topology-02
> <https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-i2rs-yang-l3-topology/reviewrequest/8481/>
> Carl Moberg       Ready with Issues
>
> draft-ietf-lime-yang-oam-model-08
> <https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-lime-yang-oam-model/reviewrequest/8236/>
> Carl Moberg       On the Right Track
>
> draft-ietf-lime-yang-connectionless-oam-methods-00
> <https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-lime-yang-connectionless-oam-methods/reviewrequest/8235/>
> Carl Moberg             On the Right Track
>
> draft-ietf-lime-yang-connectionless-oam-03
> <https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-lime-yang-connectionless-oam/reviewrequest/8234/>
> Carl Moberg       On the Right Track
>
>
>
> draft-ietf-trill-yang-oam
> <https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-trill-yang-oam/reviewrequest/8816/>
>                                 Jan Lindblad       On the Right Track
>
> draft-ietf-ippm-twamp-yang-00
> <https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ippm-twamp-yang/reviewrequest/8483/>
>                 Jan Lindblad       Ready with Issues
>
> draft-ietf-pim-igmp-mld-yang-01
> <https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-pim-igmp-mld-yang/reviewrequest/8263/>
> Jan Lindblad       On the Right Track
>
>
>
> draft-ietf-i2rs-yang-network-topo-02
> <https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-i2rs-yang-network-topo/reviewrequest/8482/>
> Kent Watsen      Almost Ready
>
> draft-ietf-rtgwg-yang-rip-02
> <https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-rtgwg-yang-rip/reviewrequest/8486/>
>                         Ladislav Lhotka Ready with Issues
>
> draft-ietf-rtgwg-yang-key-chain-13
> <https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-rtgwg-yang-key-chain/reviewrequest/8239/>
> Ladislav Lhotka Almost Ready
>
>
>
> draft-ietf-teas-yang-te-topo-08
> <https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-teas-yang-te-topo/reviewrequest/8747/>
>                 Mahesh Jethanandani Ready with Issues
>
> draft-ietf-netmod-acl-model-07
> <https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-netmod-acl-model/reviewrequest/8480/>
>                 Mahesh Jethanandani Ready with Issues
>
>
>
> draft-ietf-rtgwg-ni-model-02
> <https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-rtgwg-ni-model/reviewrequest/8493/>
>                        Martin Bjorklund              Not Ready
>
> draft-ietf-rtgwg-lne-model-02
> <https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-rtgwg-lne-model/reviewrequest/8491/>
>                     Martin Bjorklund              Ready with Issues
>
> draft-ietf-lmap-yang-05
>                                 Martin Bjorklund              Ready with
> Issues
>
>
>
> draft-ietf-rtgwg-routing-types
> <https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-rtgwg-routing-types/reviewrequest/8529/>
>                 Radek Krejčí       Ready with Nits
>
> draft-ietf-rtgwg-yang-vrrp-01
> <https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-rtgwg-yang-vrrp/reviewrequest/8487/>
>                      Radek Krejčí       Ready with Issues
>
>
>
> *From:* yang-doctors [mailto:[email-masked]
> <[email-masked]>] *On Behalf Of *Benoit Claise
> *Sent:* Monday, June 26, 2017 1:01 PM
> *To:* YANG Doctors <[email-masked]>; Robert Wilton -X (rwilton -
> Ensoft Ltd at Cisco) <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]> <
> [email-masked]>; [email-masked]
> *Subject:* Re: [yang-doctors] Fwd: Important: Guidelines for YANG module
> authors
>
>
>
> Dear YANG doctors,
>
> already-reviewed YANG modules to flag whether they align with the
> guidelines below.
> modules don't match any other YANG modules - they are using their own
> unique style of structure.
>
> *Subject: *
> *Date: *
> *From: *
> Benoit Claise <[email-masked]> <[email-masked]>
>
> *To: *
>
> NETMOD Working Group <[email-masked]> <[email-masked]>
>
>
>
> Dear all,
>
> The Network Management Datastore Architecture (NMDA) addresses the
> so-called "OpState problem" that has been the subject of much discussion in
> the IETF. NMDA is still in development, and there will be a transition
> period before NMDA solutions are universally available.
>
>
> the NMDA, as defined in draft-ietf-netmod-revised-datastores
> <https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-netmod-revised-datastores/>,
> impacts Yang models. The draft-dsdt-nmda-guidelines
> <https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-dsdt-nmda-guidelines/> individual
> draft was foundational in helping creating those guidelines.
>
>
>
> models SHOULD be created, either by hand or with suitable tools, that
> follow the current modeling strategies. In some cases, the non-NMDA model
> may be an existing model and not derived from the NMDA model. In all cases,
> the NMDA and non-NMDA modules SHOULD be published in the same document,
> with NMDA modules in the document main body and the non-NMDA modules in an
> Appendix. The use of the non-NMDA model will allow temporary bridging of
> the time period until NMDA implementations are available. The non-NMDA
> module names should include ’-state’ appended.
>
> Bjorklund, Phil Shafer, Acee Lindem, Chris Hopps, Juergen Schoenwaelder,
> and all others who helped develop these guidelines.
>
> Regards,
> Alia Atlas, Routing AD
> [email-masked]
> [email-masked]

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2017 07:11:12 +0200

> draft-ietf-lmap-yang-05                                 Martin Bjorklund

The LMAP YANG modules adopted NMDA style some time ago. This document
is in auth48.

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder           Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1 | 28759 Bremen | Germany
Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <http://www.jacobs-university.de/>