Subject: [yang-doctors] New procedure for errata affecting YANG modules

From: Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2018 13:58:09 +0000

Dear all,

As discussed during our YANG doctor meeting today.

The issue: RFC 6470 errata 
<https://www.rfc-editor.org/errata_search.php?rfc=6470> that impacts a 
YANG module

Here is the proposed procedure, to be agreed with/by the YANG doctors.

1. YANG doctors/AD evaluate the errata
2. If the errata is valid, the errata is accepted
3. Two cases from here
   case 1: the errata is editorial
                => ask IANA to update the YANG module in the registry
                => we keep the same revision data
   case 2: the errata impacts the toolchain
                => need a new revision and, as a consequence a new RFC
4. For case 2: Check the YANG impact analysis
         Is there a cascading effect?
         Do the depending YANG modules validate?
         Should the authors of the dependent YANG modules be warned
         Typical cases: import by revision, the leafs are used/not used 
in the dependent YANG module
         for ex: 
https://www.yangcatalog.org/yang-search/impact_analysis.php?modules[]=[email-masked]&recurse=0&rfcs=1&show_subm=1&show_dir=both
             => we see that 
draft-wu-netconf-base-notification-nmda-00.txt 
<http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-wu-netconf-base-notification-nmda> 
[email-masked] YANG module does not 
validate
5. For case 2:
     We use an expedite process for the new RFC, to publish the RFC with 
only the errata applied
     The new RFC obsoletes the old one

Note1: this process should not be a backdoor to publish new things
Note2: the expedite processing should be validated by the IESG, on a 
case by case basis
Note3: the YANG module update (case 1) should be validated by IANA 
(Michelle Cotton), on a case by case basis.
Note3: if the case 2 takes more than a month, we need a different process

Regards, Benoit

---

From: Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2018 08:40:42 +0000

Copying Ignas, as I'm not sure he is on the YANG doctor list yet.
Ignas, the AI will be on you to try this process for RFC6470.

Regards, B.
>     We use an expedite process for the new RFC, to publish the RFC 
> with only the errata applied