Subject: RTAS2000: Call for Participation

From: Sarit Mukherjee <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 22:30:13 GMT

===========================================================================

            Sixth IEEE Real-Time Technology and Applications Symposium
                       OMNI Shoreham Hotel, Washington D.C.
                               May 30 - June 2, 2000

        Sponsored by The IEEE Computer Society Technical Committee on
                                Real-Time Systems

------------------------------------------------------------------------
               Preliminary Program And Call For Participation
                        http://rtas.eng.ohio-state.edu
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Symposium Highlights
====================

Along with a diverse program of technical papers, this year's RTAS includes
several venues that highlight the state-of-the-art of real-time
applications and research.

Tutorials: The symposium includes three tutorials on (i) Voice over IP
by Henning Schulzrinne, (ii) Web Caching and Multimedia Streaming on
the Internet by Sanjoy Paul, and (iii) Quality of Service in IP
Networks by Roch Guerin.

Keynote speech: Dr. Janos Sztipanovits of DARPA/ITO  will deliver 
the keynote speech entitled "Software for Embedded Systems: 
Opportunities and Challenges."

Industry exhibition and demos: The symposium includes an industrial 
exhibition chaired by Dr. Doug Locke of TimeSys Corporation.

Panel discussion: One panel entitled "Building a University and
Industry Partnership in the Research and Development of Real Time
Embedded Systems" will be organized by Prof. Lui Sha of University of
Illinois.

Work-in-progress sessions:  There will be two WIP sessions throughout the
symposium.  These sessions will provide researchers with an opportunity to
discuss their evolving ideas and gather feedback from the real-time
community at large.  See http://rtas.eng.ohio-state.edu/
for information regarding submission of extended abstracts.

Nine paper sessions (in a single track, 3 full day format) featuring
state-of-the-art research results: including real-time system design,
system modeling and verification, scheduling, CORBA, QoS support in
operating systems, QoS management, network QoS, intrusion detection.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Objectives and Scope
====================

The IEEE Real-Time Technology and Applications Symposium brings together
real-time system developers and researchers from academia, industry and
government to present the latest advances in real-time systems research,
and discuss the practical challenges encountered and the solutions
adopted.  An exciting program that fosters discussions and technical
exchanges is planned, including tutorials, panel discussions, full-paper
presentations and work-in-progress sessions. 

The technical program for RTAS'00 is organized into nine sessions,
covering various aspects of real-time systems technology and
applications: namely real-time system design, system modeling and
verification, scheduling, CORBA, QoS support in operating systems, QoS
management, network QoS, intrusion detection.  In addition to these
nine technical sessions, this year's RTAS program features one keynote
speech by Dr. Janos Sztipanovits on "Software for Embedded Systems:
Opportunities and Challenges;" three tutorials on quality of service
in IP networks (Dr. Roch Guerin), voice over IP (Henning Schulzrinne),
and web caching and multimedia streaming on the Internet (Dr. Sanjoy
Paul), respectively; and one panels on the renezvous of industry and
academia in real-time research.  This year's RTAS will also include
two special Work-In-Progress (WIP) sessions. These sessions will
feature a number of short technical presentations to elicit the
community's feedback on and interest in on-going research projects and
system building efforts.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tutorials (see http://rtas.eng.ohio-state.edu or below for more
=========  details about tutorials)

Quality of Service in IP Networks by Dr. Roch Guerin, University of Penn.
Tuesday May 30,  1:30pm - 5:30pm 

Voice over IP by Dr. Henning Schulzrinne, Columbia University
Tuesday May 30,  8:30am - 5:30pm

Web Caching and Multimedia Streaming on the Internet by Sanjoy Paul,
Edgix Corporation, Tuesday May 30, 8:30am - 12:30pm

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Industry Exhibition and Demos
=============================

RTAS'00 will include an industrial exhibition in a centrally located space, 
for vendors to demonstrate state-of-the-art systems, development tools and 
applications; where RTAS attendees can engage in technical discussions with 
product engineers and developers; and where company representatives meet (and 
recruit) young researchers specializing in real-time and embedded systems. 
To reserve space for the exhibition, contact  the RTAS'00 Industrial Chair, 
Dr. Doug Locke (mailto: [email-masked]), or check the RTAS'00
Industrial Exhibition webpage:

        http://rtas.eng.ohio-state.edu/industry_exhibition.html

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Work-in-Progress Sessions
=========================
(accepting submissions until April 7)

RTAS'00 Work in Progress will be devoted to the presentation of new
and on-going projects in real-time systems and applications, with an
emphasis on network QoS. The prime purpose of this session is to
provide researchers an opportunity to discuss their evolving ideas and
gather feedback from the real-time community at large.  Submissions on
all aspects of real-time computing, applications, and systems are
sought for this work-in-progress session. Of particular interest are
papers exploring promising new ideas and approaches.

There will be two RTAS'00 WIP sessions held on the first two days of
the conference. These sessions will consist of 10-minute presentations
of all accepted submissions. Also, accepted submissions will be
included in a special RTAS'00 WIP proceedings that will be distributed
to all RTAS'00 conference participants, and will be available
electronically from the IEEE-CS TC-RTS Home Page on the WWW.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Technical Program
=================

Tuesday May 30, 2000

   * 08:30-17:30 / Tutorials

   * 17:00-19:00 / Symposium Registration and Informal Reception

Wednesday May 31, 2000

   * 08:00-08:30 / Registration

   * 08:30-09:00 / Opening Remarks
        o Kang G. Shin (General Chair) and Jennifer C. Hou (Program
          Chair)

   * 09:00-10:00 / Keynote Speech
        o Dr. Janos Sztipanovits, DARPA/ITO
          Software for Embedded Systems: Opportunities and Challenges

   * 10:00-10:30 / Morning Break

   * 10:30-12:00 /Session I: Scheduling
        o "Efficient On-Line Schedulability Tests for Priority Driven 
          Real-Time Systems," Tei-Wei Kuo, Yu-Hua Liu (National
          Chung-Cheng University, Taiwan), Kwei-Jay Lin (Univ. of 
         California, Irvine)

        o "Scheduling Distributed Real-Time Tasks in the DGMF Model,"
          Deji Chen (Fisher-Rosemount Systems, Inc), Al Mok (Univ. of
          Texas, Austin), Sanjoy Baruah (Univ of North Carolina)

        o "Real-Time Disk Scheduling in a Mixed-Media File System,"
           Peter Bosch, Sape J. Mullender (CWI and Univ. of Twente, 
           Netherlands)

   * 12:00-13:30 / Lunch

   * 13:30-15:00 / Session II:  Real-Time System Design
        o "An Engineering Approach to Determining Sampling Rates for 
          Switches and Sensors in Real-Time Systems," David
          B. Stewart, Melissa Moy (University of Maryland)
          
        o "Bounding Worst Case Garbage Collection Time for Embedded 
          Real-Time Systems," Taehyoun Kim, Naehyuck Chang, Heonshik
          Shin (Seoul National University, Korea)
          
        o "An Approach for Supporting Software Partitioning and Reuse 
          in Integrated Modular Avionics," Mohamed Younis, Mohamed 
          Aboutabl (Honeywell International Inc.), Daeyoung Kim
          (Univ. of Florida)
          
   * 15:00-15:30 / Afternoon Break

   * 15:30-17:00 / Session III:  QoS Support in Operating Systems
        o "Chocolate: A Reservation-Based Real-Time Java Environment
          on Windows/NT," Dionisio de Niz, Raj Rajkumar (Carnegie
          Mellon University)
          
        o "The Performance Trade-offs of Implementing a Large Scale 
          Real-time Application Using the Windows NT Operating System,"
          Kevin M. Obenland, Lowell Rosen (Mitre Corporation)
          
        o "KURT Linux Support for Distributed Fine-Grained Synchronous
          Computations," Sean B House,Douglas Niehaus (Univ. of Kansas)
          
   * 17:00-18:00 / Work-in-Progress Session I

   * 18:15-21:00 / RTAS'2000 Reception and Dinner

Thursday June 1, 2000

   * 08:00-8:30 / Breakfast

   * 8:30-10:00 / Session IV: Network QoS
        o "Achieving Real-Time Communication over Ethernet with
          Adaptive Traffic Smoothing," Seok-Kyu Kweon (Cisco Systems,
          Inc), Kang G. Shin (Univ. of Michigan), Gary Workman
          (General Moters Tech. Center)
          
        o "SomeCast: A Paradigm for Real-Time Adaptive Reliable Multicast,"
          Jaehee Yoon, Azer Bestavros, Ibrahim Matta (Boston Univ.)
          
        o "Design and Implementation of a Caching System for Streaming
          Media over the Internet," Ethendranath Bommaiah, Katherine
          Guo, Markus Hofmann, Sanjoy Paul (Bell Labs, Lucent)
          
   * 10:00-10:30 / Morning Break

   * 10:30-12:00 / Panel 
        o Building a University and Industry Partnership in the 
          Research and Development of Real Time Embedded Systems
          
   * 12:00-13:30 / Lunch

   * 13:30-15:00 / Session V: System Intrusion Detection and Verification
        o "Intrusion Detection in Real-time Database Systems Via Time 
          Signatures," Victor C. S. Lee (City University of Hong
          Kong), John A. Stankovic, Sang H. Son (Univ. of Virginia)

        o "Formal Verification of the MetaH Executive Using Linear
          Hybrid Automata," Steve Vestal (Honeywell Technology Center)

        o "Dynamic Optimization for Real-Time Rule-Based Systems using
          Predicate Dependency," Yun-Hong Lee, Albert Mo Kim Cheng
          (Univ. of Huston)

   * 15:00-15:30 / Afternoon Break

   * 15:30-16:30 / Work-in-Progress Session II

   * 16:30-17:30 / Session VI: Scheduling II
        o "Voltage-Switching Scheduling Algorithms for Low Power in
          Hard Real-Time Systems," C. M. Krishna (Univ. of Mass.), 
          Yann-Hang Lee (Univ. of Florida)      

        o "Efficient Scheduling of Real-Time Multi-Task Applications
          in Dynamic Systems," Giuseppe Lipari (University of Pisa,
          Italy), Sanjoy K. Baruah (Univ. of North Carolina)

Friday June 2, 2000

   * 08:00-08:30 / Breakfast

   * 08:30-10:00 / Session VII: CORBA
        o "Integrating Subscription-based and Connection-oriented 
          Communications into the Embedded CORBA for the CAN Bus,"
          Kimoon Kim, Gwangil Jeon, Seongsoo Hong (Seoul National 
          Univ., Korea), Tae-Hyung Kim (Hanyang Univ., Korea), 
          Sunil Kim (Hong-Ik Univ., Korea)

        o "Evaluating Policies and Mechanisms for Supporting
          Embedded, Real-Time Applications with CORBA 3.0,"
          Carlos O'Ryan, Doug Schmidt (Univ. of California, Irvine), 
          Fred Kuhns, Marina Spivak, Jeff Parsons, Irfan Pyarali and 
          David Levine (WUSL)

        o "Integration of CORBA Services with a Dynamic Real-time 
          Architecture," Andreas Polze, Janek Schwarz (Humboldt
          University of Berlin), Kristopher Wehner, Lui Sha (Univ. of 
          Illinois)

   * 10:00-10:30 / Morning Break

   * 10:30-12:30 / Session VIII: QoS Management
        o "An Automated Profiling Subsystem for QoS-Aware Services,"
          Tarek F. Abdelzaher (Univ. of Virginia)
                    
        o "Policing Offloaded," Uwe Dannowski, Hermann Hrtig (Dresder
          Univ. of Technology, Germany) 
          
        o "Dynamic Class-Based Queue Management for Scalable Media Servers,"
          Aaron Striegel, Manimaran Govindarasu (Iowa State Univ.)

        o "Bandwidth Guarantee in a Distributed Multimedia File System 
          Using Network Attached Autonomous Disks," Cuneyt Akinlar
          (Univ. of Maryland), Sarit Mukherjee (Panasonic Technologies, Inc.)
          
   * 12:30-14:00 / Lunch

   * 14:00-15:00 / Session IX:  System Modeling and Analysis
        o "Cell Loss Analysis for Some Novel Priority Queues,"
          Andras Racz (Ericsson Ltd., Hungary)

        o "Response Time Analysis under Errors for CAN," Sasi 
          Punnekkat, Hans Hansson, Christer Norstrm (Malardalen
          University, Sweden)
          
   * 15:00-15:15 / Closing Remarks

  ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hotel Information
=================

The Conference will be held at the Omni Shoreham Hotel, one of
Washington's premier hotels. The Omni Shoreham is located on eleven
picturesque acres in Rock Creek Park, at 2500 Calvert Street, NW
(between Connectivut Avenue and 28th Street). It is one hundred yards
from the Woodley Park Metro station (on the Red Line) and only minutes
from the Smithsonian museums, the White House, Capitol Hill, the
Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts, the boutiques of Georgetown,
and the exotic energy of Adams Morgan.  For more information contact
the hotel at the address below or visit it on the Web at
http://www.eng.umd.edu/rtas2000/local/hotel.shtml

The hotel guarantees the following rates for rooms:

   * $139/day + tax for single/double rooms.
   * To get this rate mention "IEEE RTAS'00"
   * The rooms are guaranteed if reserved before May 10th.

     Omni Shoreham Hotel
     2500 Calvert St., NW
     Washington D.C., 20008
     Phone: (202) 234-0700
     Fax: (202) 265-5333

 ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Conference Registration
=======================

Mail to:

Ms. Linda Buss
RTAS'99
E3774 - 550th Ave.
Menomonie, WI 54751
USA
Phone: 715-235-0487
Fax: (715) 235-2258 or (715) 232-6243
Email: [email-masked]

Name: ____________________________________________
Affiliation: _________________________________________
Address: __________________________________________
Address: __________________________________________
Phone: ____________ Fax: __________________________
Email: ______________________________________________
IEEE Membership No: _______________________________

(All fees in US$$)

                   Conference                      Tutorial
          On/before May 7  After May 7    On/before May 7   After May 7
Members         415           500               125           150
Non-mem         520           625               160           200
Students        210           250               125           150

Registration can be done through electronic mail. The e-mail address is
[email-masked]. Conference registration includes all the events of
the symposium. To receive student rate, students are required to have
advisor's name and signature at the time of registration.

Advisor Name: __________________________ 

Advisor Signature: __________________________

Written request for refunds, subject to a processing fee, must be made no
later than May 7, 1999. Payment can be made by check, money order, or
credit card. Please make checks or money orders payable, in U.S. dollars,
to RTAS'99. Payments in other currencies will not be accepted.

Credit Card:

[ ] Visa [ ] Mastercard [ ] American Express

Credit Card Number: ____________________________
Cardholder Name: _____________________________
Credit Card Expiration Date:____________________
Total Charges Authorized:_______________________
Signature: ____________________________________

  ------------------------------------------------------------------------

  Detailed Description of Keynote Speech
  ======================================

Title:    Software for Embedded Systems: Opportunities and Challenges

Speaker:  Dr. Janos Sztipanovits, DARPA/ITO

Abstract:

One of the most pervasive applications of computing is information
processing tightly integrated with physical processes. Embedded
information processing rapidly takes over the role of being a
universal integrator for physical systems. This trend is based on a
fundamental technical reason: information processing is uniquely
suitable for controlling and implementing complex interactions among
physical system components. From the point of view of the surrounding
physical processes, an embedded information system is "just another
physical process" with physical characteristics such as dynamics,
noise, fault behavior, reliability, size, power, etc. The embedded
software provides the method for customizing a "programmable physical
device" so as to satisfy the required physical characteristics. The
talk will address the primary challenges facing designers of embedded
software and systems: (1) the lack of composability for physical
characteristics, (2) the difficulty of adapting embedded software to
changes in the physical environments and (3) the lack of technology
for designing networked embedded system applications with rapidly
changing structure.

Brief bio:

Dr. Sztipanovits is a program manager at DARPA-ITO. He is responsible
for the management of the Autonomous Negotiating Teams and Model-Based
Integration of Embedded Software programs.  Dr. Sztipanovits is an IPA
from Vanderbilt University, where he is E. Bronson Ingram
Distinguished Professor of Engineering and founding director of the
Institute for Software Integrated Systems. His primary research
interest is software and systems engineering issues of embedded
information systems, structurally adaptive systems and
model-integrated computing. His work has been applied and fielded in
several major aerospace and manufacturing industry projects. He has
published over 130 papers, he is the co-author of two books and seven
international patents.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

 Detailed Description of Tutorials
 =================================

1. Voice Over IP 
   Henning Schulzrinne, Columbia University  (full day)

This tutorial describes the motivation, technologies and remaining 
problems of providing telephone-like services over IP networks.  The major 
components needed to construct VoIP services are described, including 
signaling (e.g., H.323, SIP and MGCP), QoS assurance (discussed briefly), 
multimedia transport (e.g., using RTP/RTCP), audio/video compression 
and billing and operational issues.  Possible architectures for an Internet 
telephony system are described with examples of an IP centrex or campus-
level service.  Important regulatory and service design issues will be 
outlined.

Brief bio:

Henning Schulzrinne received his undergraduate degree in economics and
electrical engineering from the Technische Hochschule in Darmstadt,
Germany, his MSEE degree as a Fulbright scholar from the University of
Cincinnati, Ohio in 1987 and his Ph.D.  degree from the University of
Massachusetts in Amherst, Massachusetts in 1992.  He was a member of
technical staff at AT&T Bell Laboratories, Murray Hill and an
associate department head at GMD-Fokus (Berlin), before joining the
Computer Science and Electrical Engineering departments at Columbia
University, New York in 1996.  His research interests encompass
real-time, multimedia network services in the Internet and modeling
and performance evaluation.  Dr. Schulzrinne is an editor of several
leading publications, is active in technical committees of the IEEE
and in top research conferences. He is currently serving as a member
of the IAB (Internet Architecture Board). Protocols co-developed by
him are now Internet standards, used by almost all Internet telephony
and multimedia applications. His e-mail address is
[email-masked].

2. Web Caching and Multimedia Streaming on the Internet 
   Sanjoy Paul, Edgix Corporation (half day)

Web caching pushes content closer to the end-user in order to avoid the 
congested Internet backbone. Caches are being deployed by ISPs as well as 
Corporations at the edges of the network as storage devices for content. 
There are many efforts to use the same caches for intelligently storing 
portions of media files to improve the overall quality of streaming in the 
Internet. This tutorial will provide a timely overview of both the best 
practice in web caching and stand-alone and distributed web caching 
architectures, web switching and load the state-of-the-art research in 
multimedia streaming.  Topics covered include balancing strategies, and 
streaming architectures.  Case studies of commercial efforts in this area will 
be presented.

Brief bio:

Sanjoy Paul (M'92-SM'97) received a B.Tech. degree from Indian
Institute of Technology, Kharagpur, India, followed by M.S and
Ph.D. degrees from University of Maryland, College Park, in 1988 and
1992 respectively. On completing his graduate studies he joined AT&T
Bell Laboratories.  Remaining at Bell Laboratories (now in Lucent
Technologies) until recently, he conducted networking software
research as a distinguished member of technical staff. Currently,
Dr. Paul is the Vice President of Technology in Edgix Corporation
where he is the principal architect for the next- generation
content-distribution products and services. His research interests
include content distribution, caching; multimedia streaming;
multicasting; transport, network, and link-layer protocol issues;
formal methods; security; and mobile networking. Dr. Paul holds nine
U.S. patents, has published widely in international conferences and
journals, and has been on the program committees of several IEEE
conferences. He is the author of the book "Multicasting on the
Internet and its Applications", published by Kluwer Academic Press in
1998.  His e-mail address is [email-masked].

3. Quality of Service in IP Networks 
   Roch Guerin, University of Pennsylvania (half day)

This tutorial provides an overview of service differentiation technology for 
IP networks. The first part of the tutorial is an overview of basic 
mechanisms and principles for supporting QoS.  These include data path 
mechanisms (e.g., policing, scheduling, and buffer management), control 
path mechanisms (e.g., signalling and call admission), and policy issues.  
The second part of the tutorial describes current standard activities and 
protocols that build on those principles to enable the deployment of service 
differentiation in IP networks.  These comprise IntServ and DiffServ IETF 
efforts to define and deploy several services varying in degree of quality 
assurance.

Brief bio:

Roch Guerin received the Diplome d'Ingenieur from the Ecole Nationale
Superieure des Telecommunications, Paris, France, in 1983, and his
M.S. and Ph.D. from the California Institute of Technology, both in
Electrical Engineering, in 1984 and 1986 respectively.  He joined the
department of Electrical Engineering of the University of Pennsylvania
in 1998, where he is the Alfred Fitler Moore Professor of
Telecommunications Networks and the director of the Telecommunications
and Networking Professional Masters program.  Before joining the
University of Pennsylvania, he had been with IBM at the Thomas
J. Watson Research Center, Yorktown Heights, New York, where he was
the Manager of the Network Control and Services department prior to
his departure.  His current research interests are in the general area
of Quality-of-Service support in high- speed networks, and in
particular QoS routing, scheduling, and buffer management mechanisms.
He is also interested in service verification issues and service
aggregation techniques for scalable service deployment.  Dr. Guerin
has been an editor for several leading publications in the
communications area, has served on the program committees of many
conferences, and is active in professional societies. His email
address is [email-masked].

  ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Organizing Committee
====================

     General Chair

        o Kang G. Shin, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor

     Program Committee Chair

        o Jennifer C. Hou, Ohio State University

     Publicity Chair

        o David Stewart, University of Maryland

     Tutorials Chair

        o Sandy R. Thuel, Bell Labs, Lucent Technologies

     Finance Chair

        o Kwei-Jay Lin, University of California, Irvine

     Publicity Co-Chairs

        o Sarit Mukherjee, Panasonic Technologies, Inc.
        o Steven C. Hsueh, National Chung Cheng University, Taiwan

     Panel Organizer

        0 Lui Sha, UIUC

     Industry Exhibit Chair

        o Doug Locke, TimeSys Corporation

     Work-in-Progress Paper Chair

        o Parmesh Ramanathan, University of Wisconsin, Madison

     Program Committee Members

        o Tarek  Abdelzaher (Univ. of Virginia)
        o Vaduvur Bharghavan (UIUC)
        o Jon Crowcroft (UCL)
        o Rene Cruz (UCSD)
        o J. J. Garcia-Luna-Aceves (UCSC)
        o Mario Gerla (UCLA)
        o Roch Guerin (Univ. of Penn.)
        o Marty Humphrey (Univ. of Virginia)
        o Michael Jones (Microsfot Research)
        o Kevin Jeffay (University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill)
        o Tei-Wei Kuo (National Chung-Cheng Univ., Taiwan)
        o T.V. Lakshman (Bell Labs, Lucent)
        o Insup Lee (Univ. of Penn)
        o K.-J. Lin (UC Irvine)
        o Jane Liu (UIUC)
        o Ibrahim Matta (Boston University)        
        o Ashish Mehra (IBM T.J. Waltson Research)
        o Sarit Mukherjee (Panasonic Research Labs)
        o Joseph Ng (Hong Kong Baptist Univ.)
        o Kihong Park (Purdue University)
        o Sanjoy Paul (Bell Labs, Lucent)
        o Raj Rajcumar (CMU)
        o Parmesh Ramanathan (Univ. of Wisconsin)
        o Jennifer Rexford (AT&T Research)
        o Injong Rhee (North Carolina State Univ.)
        o Debanjan Saha (IBM)
        o Lui Sha (UIUC)
        o Hyun-Sik Shin (Seoul National Univ.)
        o Douglas Schmidt (Univ. of California, Irvine)
        o Jack Stankovic (Univ. of Virginia)
        o Mori Takegaki (Mitsubishi)
        o Sandy Thuel (Bell Labs, Lucent)
        o Rose Tseng (Sandia National Laboratories)
        o Farn Wang (Academia Sinica, Taiwan)
        o Andy Wellings (University of York)
        o Wei Zhao (Texas A&M Univ.)
  ------------------------------------------------------------------------

              For more information check RTAS'00 Home Page at
                          http://rtas.eng.ohio-state.edu