Subject: reservation of a path or/and of physical resources ?

From: RABARISON Dina FTRD/DTD/LAN <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2000 17:26:35 +0200

Dear all, 

I've got a question about reservation of resources given by integration of
service model and RSVP. 

Suppose that an application needs some reservation of resources. So it's
told to the network and suppose 
that the network accepts the request. 

So, my question is : 
what is really reserved : resources or a path ? or both ? 
In my comprehension, RSVP just allows to reserve a path, doesn't it ? 

How to grant that resources are reserved too ? 
please if you can refer to drafts or RFC parts with your answer ... 

best wishes,

		Dina RABARISON

---

From: John Wroclawski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2000 12:15:46 -0400

>please if you can refer to drafts or RFC parts with your answer ...

Hello Dina,

I would say it is just the opposite.

RSVP is a protocol for requesting that resources be reserved along 
some network path. The path along which the resources are reserved is 
chosen by a routing protocol - could be traditional routing, or could 
potentially be some type of QoS-aware routing. If the path changes, 
the soft state mechanisms of RSVP ensure that a request for resource 
reservation occurs along the new path.

Regards,
John W.