Subject: Question about Propogation delay for GS

From: Gaitonde Anandprasanna <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 17:11:50 +0530 (IST)

Well one doubt rose in my mind when i as going thru the code of RSVP.

Well the latency values etc are calculted by the demon based on the
information it reads from the TC components in the kernel during RSVP
initialisation.
   But no where do i find any mention of the propogation delay  being
taken into account for Guranteed service. That is if the link connecting
two routers is quite long then there will be some Propogation delay which
needs to be considered while making caculations for Guranteed Service as
the guranteed service has to gurantee an end to end delay  bound.

Please let me know  as to how this issue is handled in the implementation
or whether RSVP does not care about the Propogation delay???

Thanx in advance

Yours sincerely

Pras

                     _____________________________                  
                   _ |ANANDPRASANNA GAITONDE     | _ 
                  / )|COMP. SCIENCE & AUTOMATION |( \
                 / / |D-7,IISc HOSTEL            | \ \
                / /  |INDIAN INSTITUTE OF SCIENCE|  \ \
              _( (_  |BANGALORE-560012.          |  _) )_
              (((\ \>|_/->___________________<-\_|</ /)))
              (\\\\ \_/ /LAB Ph.(080)3092906  \ \_/ ////)
               \       /HOSTEL Ph.-            \       /  
                \    _/     (080)3092452        \_    /     
                /   /-----------------------------\   \                  
               /  Email Id-                            \ 
              /      [email-masked]         \
	     ---------------------------------------------
            -----------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
		
*************************************************************************  
| | | | __ ___   _____     __ _    _ __ (_) ___ ___     __| | __ _ _   _
| |_| |/ _` \ \ / / _ \   / _` |  | '_ \| |/ __/ _ \   / _` |/ _` | | | |
|  _  | (_| |\ V /  __/  | (_| |  | | | | | (_|  __/  | (_| | (_| | |_| |
|_| |_|\__,_| \_/ \___|   \__,_|  |_| |_|_|\___\___|   \__,_|\__,_|\__, |
*************************************************************************

---

From: Roch Guerin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 09:33:57 -0400

GS only guarantees a bound on the end-to-end *queueing* delay.
See bottom of p.2 in RFC 2212.

---

From: Gaitonde Anandprasanna <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 00:38:36 +0530 (IST)

Well Yes sir,

GS Provides end to end delay bound. But when packets flow from source to
destination over a set of routers in between then the propogation delay
between any two routers has to be taken care of while cacultating the end
to end delay. Well and the present implenmetation of RSVP from ISI seems
not to take this fact into account.

 Can u throw some light on this.

Thanx in advance

Yours sincerely

Pras