Subject: Re: [105attendees] IETF 105 Network Information

From: Job Snijders <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2019 01:07:56 -0400

Dear Sean, Warren, Rob, NOC team, attendees,

I’d like to offer my compliments for how the IETF 105 network is set up
from an internet routing perspective. This is very exciting. It is a joy to
see IETF work be applied in context of IETF meetings themselves.

Attendees can run a quick test by going to the following URL:
http://ripe.net/s/rpki-test/

It appears (and the NOC confirmed) the meeting network is rejecting RPKI
invalid BGP announcements. This is awesome.

But as a result, we as attendees don’t have access to a set of IP addresses
/ destinations which are covered by misconfigured RPKI ROAs. There are a
few thousand of such routes in the BGP Default-Free Zone. Usually, the lack
of ability to access to a few thousand prefixes out of the ~ 700K routing
table would be cause for deep concern. Operators don’t like it. The number
may seem to high from an intuitive perspective.

However, it appears those prefixes aren’t really in use, or global
reachability isn’t a priority for those resource holders. The perfect
outcome of the deployment of RPKI Origin Validation on the IETF network is
that attendees say “we didn’t notice a difference”.

It’s 2019, RPKI Origin Validation isn’t yet the norm, but the internet
industry is getting there. I recommend everyone to use this opportunity to
take a look at destinations you care about, or perhaps take home with you
the observation that this type of configuration doesn’t cause you issues,
and consider deploying yourself too!

Kind regards,

Job

On Sat, Jul 20, 2019 at 13:21 Sean Croghan <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Welcome to Montréal! and IETF 105
>
>  For network details, please see the full document at
> https://tickets.meeting.ietf.org/wiki/IETF105network
>
>
> IETF Wireless
> -------------------
>
> In the lobby, public spaces and guest rooms of the Marriott Maquis Queen’s
> Park, please use the open  “ietf-hotel” wireless network.
>
>
> In the meeting areas, we encourage you to use the secure “ietf” network,
> with a username of “ietf” and a password of “ietf”.  If you aren’t able to
> use the secure network, the “ietf-legacy105” is available with no security.
>
>
> Getting Help
> -----------------
>
> To get help in person, the help desk is available in Square Dorchester,
>  starting at 4pm on Sunday, and then daily starting at 8:30am until 6pm.
>
>
> To submit or view network trouble tickets via the web interface please see
> https://tickets.meeting.ietf.org. To submit a ticket via email, please
> send to [email-masked].
>
>
> Thank You to our many sponsors and supporters including:
>
>
> Telus, MetroOptic and OpenFace, who have graciously donated connectivity
> via a pair of 1Gb/s uplinks.
> Juniper Networks, who donated new core routers that have moved into
> production at this meeting.
> The volunteers that make the network happen, before, during, and between
> each meeting.
>
>
> We hope you have a great meeting and enjoy Montréal!
>
> — IETF NOC Team
>
>
>
>
> --
> 105all mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/105all
>