Subject: [16NG] review of draft-ietf-16ng-ip-over-ethernet-over-802.16-00

From: "John.zhao" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 15:51:17 +0800

Hi Max,

         In section 7.3, there is a sentence that 'The unicast IPv4
addresses can be learned by examining the source address of packets or DHCP
Response message.' But why this operation is needed? And if we will need the
layer-3 operation in this place?

         Best Rgds,

Thanks,

 

         John.zhao

_______________________________________________
16NG mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/16ng

---

From: "Riegel, Maximilian" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 19:55:33 +0100

Hi John.zhao,
 
ProxyARP must know about the IP addresses being used by the SS/MSs. The
information can be retrieved by intercepting the DHCP message exchange
or just looking at the source IP addresses of upstream packets.
 
With this information Proxy ARP can respond to ARP messages instead of
broadcasting the message to all the SS/MSs.
 
Bye
Max

________________________________

From: John.zhao [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, January 30, 2007 8:51 AM
To: Riegel, Maximilian
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: review of draft-ietf-16ng-ip-over-ethernet-over-802.16-00

Hi Max,

         In section 7.3, there is a sentence that 'The unicast IPv4
addresses can be learned by examining the source address of packets or
DHCP Response message.' But why this operation is needed? And if we will
need the layer-3 operation in this place?

         Best Rgds,

Thanks,

 

         John.zhao

---

From: "John.zhao" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 08:55:42 +0800

Hello Max

         Thanks. From your explain, you mentioned two method can be used to
know about the IP addresses: 

1) Intercepting the DHCP message exchange;   

2)Just looking at the source IP addresses of upstream packets.

         To the method 1) , it will need DHCP stack to do that. 

As to the method 2) ,if that means we have to monitor the source IP address
of every packets. Otherwise , we can make sure when the MS/SS change it’s
address. 

Right?

Best Rgds,

Thanks,

  _____  

发件人: Riegel, Maximilian [mailto:[email-masked]] 
发送时间: 2007年1月31日 2:56
收件人: [email-masked]
抄送: [email-masked]
主题: RE: review of draft-ietf-16ng-ip-over-ethernet-over-802.16-00

Hi John.zhao,

ProxyARP must know about the IP addresses being used by the SS/MSs. The
information can be retrieved by intercepting the DHCP message exchange or
just looking at the source IP addresses of upstream packets.

Bye

Max

  _____  

Hi Max,

         In section 7.3, there is a sentence that ‘The unicast IPv4
addresses can be learned by examining the source address of packets or DHCP
Response message.’ But why this operation is needed? And if we will need
the layer-3 operation in this place?

         Best Rgds,

Thanks,

 

         John.zhao