Subject: [16NG] Comments on IPv4CS subnet model and ARP

From: "Daniel Park" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 10:17:22 +0900

I am forwardig these comments originally from Sangeun Kim at KT to 16ng list.

========================================

6.  Subnet Model and IPv4 Address Assignment

The Subnet Model recommended for IPv4 over IEEE 802.16 using IP CS is
based on point-to-point link between MS and AR, hence each MS will be
on different IP subnet.

Proposed Changes: The Subnet Model recommended for IPv4 over IEEE
802.16 using IP CS is based on point-to-point link between MS and AR.

7.  Address Resolution Protocol

The IEEE 802.16 frame header does not contain the source and
destination MAC addresses, instead it uses the Connection Identifier
(CID) for the delivery of MAC frames.  This makes classical Address
Resolution Protocol (ARP) [3] trivial and unnecessary. > Also, IEEE
802.16 IPCS cannot classify the ARP packets as ARP runs directly over
 Ethernet and does not contain IP header.  Thus ARP packets are not
transmitted over IEEE 802.16 air interface when using IPCS.

Proposed Changes: The IEEE 802.16 frame header does not contain the
source and destination MAC addresses, instead it uses the Connection
Identifier (CID) for the delivery of MAC frames.  This makes classical
Address Resolution Protocol (ARP) [3] trivial and unnecessary. Also,
IEEE 802.16 IPCS cannot classify the ARP packets as ARP runs directly
over Ethernet and does not contain IP header. Thus ARP packets are not
  transmitted over IEEE 802.16 air interface when using IPCS. However
MS requires to proxy ARP function compatible with legacy IP host.

-- Daniel Park

_______________________________________________
16NG mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/16ng

---

From: "Samita Chakrabarti" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 17:22:02 -0700

Please see in-line.
[SC>] 

[SC>] Thanks.

[SC>] Fine by me.

[SC>] Let's discuss the last sentence. MS requires to proxy ARP function compatible with legacy IP host: What is the expected configuration of the scenario in this case? The legacy IP host will not be on the same Wimax IPCS
link; thus our assumption was that they would be on different subnets.
Please clarify.

Regards,
-Samita