Subject: [16NG] mix-up of IGMP/MLD snooping and proxying in draft-ietf-16ng-ip-over-ethernet-over-802.16-03

From: "DOLL, Mark" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2007 13:14:36 +0100

Hi!

I'm a bit confused by the mixup of IGMP/MLD proxying and snooping in
draft-ietf-16ng-ip-over-ethernet-over-802.16-03.

IGMP/MLD proxying is a simple form of multicast *routing* between
links/subnets, working on the in the network/IP layer, whereas IGMP/MLD
snooping limits the inta-link/intra-subnet forwarding of multicast
frames on the ethernet/MAC layer (by analyzing network layer packets).

Snooping should be sufficient to achieve, what is discussed in the
draft. If not, what do I miss here?

Mark.

_______________________________________________
16NG mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/16ng

---

From: Hongseok Jeon <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2007 02:39:22 +0900

Hi Mark,

[RFC4541] is sufficient for establishing membership information in the
network-side bridge. However, it is an information RFC and thus we
cannot refer to it as normative text.

Our document intends for standard track and so we need a normative
reference in which IGMP/MLD report is used for building membership  
information.
Hence, [RFC4605] is necessary to our document even though it is for IP  
router.

BR,
Hongseok Jeon