Subject: [6lo] Intended status of draft-ietf-6lo-lowpan-mib: Experimental?

From: Ulrich Herberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2014 14:53:52 -0700

Hello,

Samita and I have discussed about the lowpan MIB draft. I appreciate
that several of you have expressed your support for the document on
the 6lo list, so we both believe that there is sufficient consensus
now to go forward.

However, we personally don't feel that Standards Track is the right
status. Several people on the list mentioned that they are not yet
sure how they will manage 6lowpans, possibly with more lightweight
protocols. (We understand that a MIB module is not necessarily tied to
SNMP, and that it can be converted to YANG if desired.) But most
importantly, there seems to be a lack of (interoperable)
implementations. So far, only Jürgen mentioned he has an
implementation. There was also no intention on the list to deploy or
implement the MIB module in the near future. We believe that this
draft is a good candidate for Experimental, as it allows people to
first figure out how they want to manage their networks, whether the
proposed approach is suitable, whether the counters are the right
ones, and to get implementation experience.

This should be a consensual decision by the WG, so we ask you to send
any objections or support for this suggestion to the list.

Best regards
Ulrich