Subject: [6lo] Fwd: INT area directorate review of draft-ietf-6lo-paging-dispatch

From: Samita Chakrabarti <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2016 11:23:36 -0700

FYI
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Donald Eastlake <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, Aug 26, 2016 at 10:01 PM
Subject: INT area directorate review of draft-ietf-6lo-paging-dispatch
To: [email-masked], [email-masked],
[email-masked]

I am an assigned INT directorate reviewer for
draft-ietf-6lo-paging-dispatch. These comments were written primarily
for the benefit of the Internet Area Directors. Document editors and
shepherd(s) should treat these comments just like they would treat
comments from any other IETF contributors and resolve them along with
any other Last Call comments that have been received. For more details
on the INT Directorate, see http://www.ietf.org/iesg/directorate.html.

This short draft is a fairly straightforward extension to the encoding
of 6LoWPAN compression that effectively multiplies the code space for
"DispatchType Filed" bytes by a bit less than a factor of 16. Due to
the space constraints of 802.15.4 frames, 6LoWPAN encoding is into
bytes and the draft specifies a block of 16 bytes values which set the
context for the parsing of subsequent bytes until the next such
context setting. It is backwards compatible as existing encoding is in
context zero which is the default. the draft refers to these 16
contexts as Pages in the sense of pages of code values. There are also
some special provisions for Page 1.

After fixing the nits and possibly tweaking the IANA Considerations as
below, I think this document is ready for publication.

IANA Considerations: It seems odd to me to say that 15 additional
registries should be created for Pages (contexts) 1 through 15 when 14
of those will initially be empty except perhaps that the last 16
values in each registry are the Page switch values.. I would have
expanded the existing registry with a "Page" column and added a note
about Page zero being the default and applying if no other Page has
been set. But perhaps this is jus a matter of taste.

Nits:
Section 3, first line of last paragraph, "is is" -> "is".
The nits checker complains about a few missing form feeds.

Thanks,
Donald
===============================
 Donald E. Eastlake 3rd   +1-508-333-2270 (cell)
 155 Beaver Street, Milford, MA 01757 USA
 [email-masked]