Subject: [6lo] Protocol Action: '6lowpan ESC Dispatch Code Points and Guidelines' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-6lo-dispatch-iana-registry-07.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2016 08:53:36 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- '6lowpan ESC Dispatch Code Points and Guidelines'
  (draft-ietf-6lo-dispatch-iana-registry-07.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the IPv6 over Networks of
Resource-constrained Nodes Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Suresh Krishnan and Terry Manderson.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-6lo-dispatch-iana-registry/

Technical Summary

   RFC4944 defines the ESC dispatch type to allow for additional
   dispatch bytes in the 6lowpan header.  The value of the ESC byte was
   updated by RFC6282, however, its usage was not defined either in
   RFC6282 or in RFC4944.  This document updates RFC4944 and RFC6282 by
   defining the ESC extension byte code points including registration of
   entries for known use cases at the time of writing of this document.

Working Group Summary

The genesis of this document comes from interactions with other SDOs
using the 6lowpan technologies. Support for this document was strong
given the wide and varied uses of RFCs 4944 and 6282.  A vast majority 
of the engaged WG participants strongly support this document. There 
have been no objections raised to its publication.

Document Quality

The document shepherd performed several in-depth reviews of the draft
during its formulation and after its passage of WGLC. Part of the review
entailed mapping the requested IANA registry entries to the ITU-T
specifications using those entries to ensure complete coverage.

Personnel

  Brian Haberman is the Document Shepherd
  Suresh Krishnan  is the Responsible Area Director