Subject: [6lo] Document Action: 'Privacy Considerations for IPv6 Adaptation Layer Mechanisms' to Informational RFC (draft-ietf-6lo-privacy-considerations-04.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2016 11:25:17 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Privacy Considerations for IPv6 Adaptation Layer Mechanisms'
  (draft-ietf-6lo-privacy-considerations-04.txt) as Informational RFC

This document is the product of the IPv6 over Networks of
Resource-constrained Nodes Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Suresh Krishnan and Terry Manderson.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-6lo-privacy-considerations/

Technical Summary

   This document discusses how a number of privacy threats apply to
   technologies designed for IPv6 over various link layer protocols, and
   provides advice to protocol designers on how to address such threats
   in adaptation layer specifications for IPv6 over such links.

Working Group Summary

This document educates the 6lo community in that it lists potential 
threats to privacy and some potential mitigations. It also has guidance 
for different adaptation layers on how to evaluate how relevant are the 
threats and how practical are the mitigations. In this sense, this 
document is also about tradeoffs, as such it has benefitted from f2f and 
email list discussion. In the process it has benefitted and has also 
helped ongoing document in the working group address privacy issues.

Document Quality

The document has received significant amount of review both from people 
in the WG. It is non prescriptive, so its guidance will influence 
ongoing work in more typical drafts on IPv6 adaptation, and those will 
get implemented in due time.

Personnel

Document shepherd is Gabriel Montenegro
Responsible AD is Suresh Krishnan