Subject: Re: [6lo] draft-ietf-6lo-use-cases-01.txt - Comments

From: Samita Chakrabarti <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2017 15:28:27 -0700

Hi Yong-Geun,

Here are some comments on the 6lo-applicability document.
6lo-chairs have been asked to take a close look at the document and I have
volunteered to guide the document content along with you/co-authors and WG.
We can meet before the 6lo meeting and lay out ideas on the modification.

General comment:

1)  The document is growing too big and lost focus a bit : we need to make
it concise and to the point in relevance with 6lo
2) Editorial changes are needed toward the audience who might have heard of
6lowpan and are interested in finding out whether their application/network
is suitable for running 6lo (6lowpan stack with modifications).

3) It talks about LTE MTC and LPWAN technologies as a backhaul gateway
where 6lo-type of networks might be one link in the gateway on the LAN
side. This is a real-life application. We need to work with LPWAN chairs
 and provide diagrams to interconnect both 6lo and LPWAN networks

4)  The Design section gives ideas on different design attributes which are
useful. Now that we have various scenarios with different/TBD attributes, I
am thinking that having the same attributes for all usecases may not be
required. We may pick one or two examples with complete  set of attributes.

5) From the examples, it is not clear where 6lo network and nodes are
running in the example. Clarification required.

The Abstract:
Current Text:

This document describes the applicability of IPv6 over constrained node
networks (6lo) and use cases. It describes the practical deployment
scenarios of 6lo technologies with the consideration of 6lo link layer
technologies and identifies the requirements. In addition to IEEE 802.15.4,
various link layer technologies such as ITU-T G.9959 (Z-Wave), BLE,
DECT-ULE, MS/TP, NFC, LTE MTC, PLC (IEEE 1901), and IEEE 802.15.4e(6tisch)
are widely used at constrained node networks for typical services. Based on
these link layer technologies, IPv6 over networks of resource-constrained
nodes has various and practical use cases. To efficiently implement typical
services, the applicability and consideration of several design space
dimensions are described.

Suggested Text:
This document describes the applicability guideline of IPv6 over
constrained node networks (6lo) specifications and use cases. It describes
the practical deployment scenarios of *multiple* 6lo technologies and
identifies the requirements.  *A consideration on use-case deployment
design dimensions is also described. The aim of this document is to guide
an audience who are new to IPv6 low power constrained network technologies
and want to assess if the 6lowpan stack can be applied to their constrained
L2-technology of interest*.

Editorial comments:
I have many editorial comments; we can discuss them at IETF 'side meeting'.

Other:
Section 5 ( Design Space): Please add a sub section on '6lo adaptation
consideration'. I can help with the text there.
Primarily this subsection may talk about in general what people might think
about when they consider running IP(v6) on their constrained nodes (i,e
IPv6 address mapping, Prefix distribution, Access security, fragmentation
requirements, privacy, L2/L3 topology  etc.)

What do folks think about a tittle " 6lo Applicability Guideline" instead
of " 6lo Applicability and Usecases" ?

The goal is to hand out an IETF document to the non-IETF community to
spread  the word about IETF work on  IPv6 IOT stack for constrained
networks.

Comments are welcome.

Thanks,
-Samita

On Mon, Mar 13, 2017 at 2:20 AM, <[email-masked]> wrote:

>
> A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
> directories.
> This draft is a work item of the IPv6 over Networks of
> Resource-constrained Nodes of the IETF.
>
>         Title           : IPv6 over Constrained Node Networks(6lo)
> Applicability & Use cases
>         Authors         : Yong-Geun Hong
>                           Carles Gomez
>                           Abdur Rashid Sangi
>                           Take Aanstoot
>         Filename        : draft-ietf-6lo-use-cases-01.txt
>         Pages           : 29
>         Date            : 2017-03-13
>
> Abstract:
>    This document describes the applicability of IPv6 over constrained
>    node networks (6lo) and use cases.  It describes the practical
>    deployment scenarios of 6lo technologies with the consideration of
>    6lo link layer technologies and identifies the requirements.  In
>    addition to IEEE 802.15.4, various link layer technologies such as
>    ITU-T G.9959 (Z-Wave), BLE, DECT-ULE, MS/TP, NFC, LTE MTC, PLC (IEEE
>    1901), and IEEE 802.15.4e(6tisch) are widely used at constrained node
>    networks for typical services.  Based on these link layer
>    technologies, IPv6 over networks of resource-constrained nodes has
>    various and practical use cases.  To efficiently implement typical
>    services, the applicability and consideration of several design space
>    dimensions are described.
>
>
> The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-6lo-use-cases/
>
> There's also a htmlized version available at:
> https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-6lo-use-cases-01
>
> A diff from the previous version is available at:
> https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-6lo-use-cases-01
>
>
> Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of
> submission
> until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.
>
> Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
> ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/
>
> _______________________________________________
> 6lo mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/6lo
>

---

From: YongGeun Hong <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2017 19:09:52 +0900

Dear Samita.

Thanks for your comments.

See my responses inline.

Best regards.

Yong-Geun.

On Thu, Mar 23, 2017 at 7:28 AM, Samita Chakrabarti <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> 2) Editorial changes are needed toward the audience who might have heard
> of 6lowpan and are interested in finding out whether their
> application/network is suitable for running 6lo (6lowpan stack with
> modifications).
>
[Yong-Geun] Yes, this document is growing big because of including of
heterogeneous link layer technologies and related 6lo use cases. I agree to
make it more concise. At Chicago meeting, I hope to have a time to discuss
how to progress.

>  and provide diagrams to interconnect both 6lo and LPWAN networks
[Yong-Geun] O.K. I will contact LPWAN chairs and try to find a cooperation
with 6lo and LPWAN.,

>
> 4)  The Design section gives ideas on different design attributes which
> are useful. Now that we have various scenarios with different/TBD
> attributes, I am thinking that having the same attributes for all usecases
> may not be required. We may pick one or two examples with complete  set of
> attributes.
>
[Yong-Geun] Yes, it is not efficient to consider same attributes to various
scenarios. I will update design section during discussion with the authors.

> running in the example. Clarification required.
[Yong-Geun] O.K. We will try to make it clear.

> L2-technology of interest*.
[Yong-Geun] Thanks for your suggest. I will reflect this change.

> I have many editorial comments; we can discuss them at IETF 'side meeting'.
[Yong-Geun] Thanks. If I receive editorial comments, I will reflect.

> Primarily this subsection may talk about in general what people might
> think about when they consider running IP(v6) on their constrained nodes
> (i,e IPv6 address mapping, Prefix distribution, Access security,
> fragmentation requirements, privacy, L2/L3 topology  etc.)
>
[Yong-Geun] O.K. I will add a sub section and reflect your input.

> of " 6lo Applicability and Usecases" ?
[Yong-Geun] "6lo Applicability Guideline" seems not to bad. Let's hear
other's opinion at Chicago meeting.

> spread  the word about IETF work on  IPv6 IOT stack for constrained
[Yong-Geun] Yes, it is the motivation of this draft. I agree that the
current texts are not enough. I should think and discuss with more people
how to satisfy our purpose.