Subject: [6lo] I-D Action: draft-ietf-6lo-use-cases-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2017 02:20:01 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the IPv6 over Networks of Resource-constrained Nodes of the IETF.

        Title           : IPv6 over Constrained Node Networks(6lo) Applicability & Use cases
        Authors         : Yong-Geun Hong
                          Carles Gomez
                          Abdur Rashid Sangi
                          Take Aanstoot
	Filename        : draft-ietf-6lo-use-cases-01.txt
	Pages           : 29
	Date            : 2017-03-13

Abstract:
   This document describes the applicability of IPv6 over constrained
   node networks (6lo) and use cases.  It describes the practical
   deployment scenarios of 6lo technologies with the consideration of
   6lo link layer technologies and identifies the requirements.  In
   addition to IEEE 802.15.4, various link layer technologies such as
   ITU-T G.9959 (Z-Wave), BLE, DECT-ULE, MS/TP, NFC, LTE MTC, PLC (IEEE
   1901), and IEEE 802.15.4e(6tisch) are widely used at constrained node
   networks for typical services.  Based on these link layer
   technologies, IPv6 over networks of resource-constrained nodes has
   various and practical use cases.  To efficiently implement typical
   services, the applicability and consideration of several design space
   dimensions are described.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-6lo-use-cases/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-6lo-use-cases-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-6lo-use-cases-01

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: sajjad akbar <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2017 11:21:42 +0000

Hi

Its really interesting to see the new draft. While reading the draft, I was
try to identify the link between IoTs and mentioned link layer technologies
(as it is mention in draft " As IoTs services become more popular, various
link layer technologies.......are widely used"). The majority of mentioned
link layer technologies still lacking the adjustment with IoTs because of
IoTs demand for intelligent forwarding mechanism at link layer. Or in the
draft the scope of the IoTs is limited to local environment?

Regards
Muhammad Sajjad Akbar

On Mon, Mar 13, 2017 at 9:20 AM, <[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> 6lo mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/6lo
>

---

From: YongGeun Hong <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2017 09:29:39 +0900

Dear Muhammad Sajjad Akbar.

Thanks for your comments and interest.

Regarding your question, I agree your point. Some link layer technologies
are missing the adjustment with IoT services but the direct modification or
enhancement of of them is not the scope of 6lo WG and this draft. Actually,
to efficiently transmit IPv6 over these link layer technologies, we have
discussed with organizations  such as NFC forum and Bluetooth SIG, etc.
Because the IETF 6lo WG is targeting on IPv6 connectivity over constrained
node networks with the characteristics of limited power, memory and
processing resources, the scope of this draft might be the local
environment. But if you look the use cases in this draft, it also handles
more broader scope. I think that the scope (local or wide) is not important
and the more importing thing is how to deliver practical deployment
scenarios and use cases with 6lo technologies for IoT services.

Best regards.

Yong-Geun.

On Thu, Mar 16, 2017 at 8:21 PM, sajjad akbar <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Its really interesting to see the new draft. While reading the draft, I
> was try to identify the link between IoTs and mentioned link layer
> technologies (as it is mention in draft " As IoTs services become more
> popular, various link layer technologies.......are widely used"). The
> majority of mentioned link layer technologies still lacking the adjustment
> with IoTs because of IoTs demand for intelligent forwarding mechanism at
> link layer. Or in the draft the scope of the IoTs is limited to local
> environment?
>
> Regards
> Muhammad Sajjad Akbar
>
>

---

From: sajjad akbar <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2017 14:15:16 +0000

Hi YongGeun,

Thanks for the detailed reply. I was confused about IoTs involvement up to
some extent, I agree that deployment is more important and useful with 6lo
technologies.

Kind regards
Sajjad